Discrimination.

For chat about all other topics

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Not interested in discussing mods decisions, I'm sure everyone will handle things sensibly, been plenty of heated spats on here down the years and the mods generally do a decent job at calming things down.

One thing though, to say PM is an anonymous poster is miles off though, a lot of people know who he is unlike you who no one seems to have a clue who you are, don't think you come to games? He's one of several very long serving fans who are quite disaffected/fed up about certain issues at this point, which is fair enough it's their decision. The club can't please everyone but hopefully some middle ground can be found at some point, think a few things were fairy constructively discussed at the fans forum between a few South Standers and DV so maybe that's a start.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Keep hearing about these 'disaffected/fed up about certain issues'. What precisely are they?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DIESEL » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
One thing though, to say PM is an anonymous poster is miles off though, a lot of people know who he is unlike you who no one seems to have a clue who you are, don't think you come to games? He's one of several very long serving fans who are quite disaffected/fed up about certain issues at this point, which is fair enough it's their decision. The club can't please everyone but hopefully some middle ground can be found at some point, think a few things were fairy constructively discussed at the fans forum between a few South Standers and DV so maybe that's a start.

Based on what he said on this forum a few days ago, in my view PM has no right to enter any football ground and support our team, let alone contribute to this forum.
DIESEL
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:33 pm

DIESEL wrote:
Based on what he said on this forum a few days ago, in my view PM has no right to enter any football ground and support our team, let alone contribute to this forum.

That's not for you to say though, if people break forum rues or whatever then let the club/mods assess and deal with it. This is football, people get wound up and say stuff, not everyone comes from the pc bubble some on here seem to live in, I know I've said and heard a lot worse but I also agree people should try and respect other fans and the club rules.

On a broader level it seems several people on both sides at this club seem to think they can dictate what sort of person should be allowed to support the club, but this is a club that represents a whole area/community that includes people from different backgrounds. It isn't a private members club where only middle class, pc brigade or the shouty left are welcome. Just the same as it isn't ok to call newer fans or people who got interested because of the eco stuff plastics. This club should belong to and welcome the whole community. At the moment a section of the fanbase feel alienated and are lashing out, the club should be looking to engage better with them imo
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DIESEL » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:53 pm

The comments were nothing to do with football. They were towards one other forum member. Numerous comments fell into one of the %s on the first post on this thread along with other comments/opinions not suitable in society. No one can defend his comments.
They were deleted quickly and rightly so. Thus not many people on here saw them. I wish I had taken a screenshot but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Whilst I agree i am not in a position to do anything I am just offering an opinion. I am a very level headed guy so I would hope the seriousness of this is coming across.
DIESEL
Youth
Youth

Postby DIESEL » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Keep hearing about these 'disaffected/fed up about certain issues'. What precisely are they?

Indeed, can someone please explain exactly what the issues are and what has triggered them, so we can all move our club forward together?
DIESEL
Youth
Youth

Postby michael » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
michael wrote:is anyone else sad enough as me to browse forums-not just for the content -but to identify human traits ?

i just ask dumb questions and let much better people than me provide the answers

don't you just love alpha male and alpha female who just like Brian Clough 'back in the day' can never be wrong ?

Which one of us is the Alpha female? :D

I’ve been here longer!

:lol:

i am not sure my post was person related-surely merely just a generalised statement -how others chose to interpret the post and identify themselves lies with them entirely.

i just find it fun (i must get a life ) seeing how people respond to things.
got enough weird quirks of my own

the posters i love best are those who end their post with 'end of 'as they must have the all important final word .
then when no one obeys their 'instruction' they break their own rules and make a fresh post of their own.
yes-i am sad-but that always tickles me
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:21 pm

I love the immediate contradiction, where someone says that they won't comment on a particular subject or situation, then does precisely that...usually in the same post.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby michael » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:32 pm

the but word is always good value-you can see/hear/smell it coming :

i agree with you BUT.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm

michael wrote:the but word is always good value-you can see/hear/smell it coming :

i agree with you BUT.

Oooh, good point...I agree with you, but...naah, spot on!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Foggy wrote:I love the immediate contradiction, where someone says that they won't comment on a particular subject or situation, then does precisely that...usually in the same post.

Or those that end a PM saying it doesn’t bother them either way or ‘never mind’ but continue to go on about it anyway!
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
DIESEL wrote:

That's not for you to say though, if people break forum rues or whatever then let the club/mods assess and deal with it. This is football, people get wound up and say stuff, not everyone comes from the pc bubble some on here seem to live in, I know I've said and heard a lot worse but I also agree people should try and respect other fans and the club rules.

On a broader level it seems several people on both sides at this club seem to think they can dictate what sort of person should be allowed to support the club, but this is a club that represents a whole area/community that includes people from different backgrounds. It isn't a private members club where only middle class, pc brigade or the shouty left are welcome. Just the same as it isn't ok to call newer fans or people who got interested because of the eco stuff plastics. This club should belong to and welcome the whole community. At the moment a section of the fanbase feel alienated and are lashing out, the club should be looking to engage better with them imo

Objecting to posters being called ‘b*tches* or homophobic slurs isn’t exactly living in a PC bubble, it is just being a normal person.

As for me. Grew up not far from the ground and went to games as a family until recently and now I live too far away to attend especially when overseas. No reason why anyone should know who I am and not sure why anyone should be caring about doing so.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:04 pm

michael wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:
michael wrote:is anyone else sad enough as me to browse forums-not just for the content -but to identify human traits ?

i just ask dumb questions and let much better people than me provide the answers

don't you just love alpha male and alpha female who just like Brian Clough 'back in the day' can never be wrong ?

Which one of us is the Alpha female? :D

I’ve been here longer!

:lol:

i am not sure my post was person related-surely merely just a generalised statement -how others chose to interpret the post and identify themselves lies with them entirely.

i just find it fun (i must get a life ) seeing how people respond to things.
got enough weird quirks of my own

the posters i love best are those who end their post with 'end of 'as they must have the all important final word .
then when no one obeys their 'instruction' they break their own rules and make a fresh post of their own.
yes-i am sad-but that always tickles me

I am pretty certain that this being Dumb and being Sad is a clever curtain you are putting up there michael. I would say you are in here studying for a Phd in Human psychology.. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DIESEL » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:
DIESEL wrote:

Objecting to posters being called ‘b*tches* or homophobic slurs isn’t exactly living in a PC bubble, it is just being a normal person.

As for me. Grew up not far from the ground and went to games as a family until recently and now I live too far away to attend especially when overseas. No reason why anyone should know who I am and not sure why anyone should be caring about doing so.

Thanks EE. For a moment there I thought my moral compass was broken and I wasn’t in touch with reality!
DIESEL
Youth
Youth

Postby michael » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 pm

I am pretty certain that this being Dumb and being Sad is a clever curtain you are putting up there michael. I would say you are in here studying for a Phd in Human psychology.. ;)

i have to justify spending much too much time on a football forum somehow
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:08 am

Kentstirpe, Being a bigot isnt a working class characteristic. To suggest people who use racist and homophobic language should be protected at our club is a bit odd. 20 years support doesnt earn you a badge to behave like a &%$#.

But.. I do agree with the sentiment of your post, all coming togther is a good thing. But may be your preaching to the converted? The conflict seems to be between a few fans and the club. Cant see what insulting the rest of us has to do with it.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am

Hi
I have never understood support for someone who has self identified by adopting as their nom-de-geurre the name of a bigotted, racist, thieving, amoral character.

If someone had adopted the name of PolPot, Stalin or Hitler, to name just a few, then surely everybody would have condemned that.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm

A bit too close to home for comfort is this example -

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/forest-green-goalkeeper-joe-wollacott-3614153

I saw the original tweet, with several words blanked out presumably done by Joe, and it could not have been more foul or obnoxious. :twisted:
This sort of thing is so desperately sad - it makes you weep.
We need more than a big cheer for Joe tomorrow.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:15 pm

I don't think FGR, or any club, should try and accommodate people who hurl homophobic abuse at, and threaten violence against, other supporters.

It doesn't matter if they have supported the club for 20 years, or 20 minutes.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Unfortunately there are some who support FGR (or at least on this forum) who would prefer to turn a blind eye, or leave it to someone else. There are no excuses for it, no ‘heat of the moment’ lapses, no ‘trying to make a point’. If these utterances have just slipped out then they betray a deeply ingrained prejudice. I don’t want those people around me or my kids just as I wouldn’t want someone openly spouting racist filth around me or my kids. I’m disappointed that KS has tried to justify PM’s actions by pointing to his longevity as a supporter.

Sadly, I think that these people are getting bolder, partly because they don’t get shut down consistently enough. I’ve been the subject of abuse on here (including by PM), and on the ‘Facebook page of hate’, with very few being quick to condemn. Most just shut up for fear of getting involved and becoming the target.

Interesting that we had an incident of racist abuse during the game today. I didn’t hear it and don’t know the exact content, but I’m not surprised it’s happened at TNL. If this forum and that Facebook page are any kind of yardstick then we clearly have as much of a problem at FGR as anywhere else. We just don’t like to think we do.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat