Discrimination.

For chat about all other topics

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:53 pm

TreeHugger wrote:Unfortunately there are some who support FGR (or at least on this forum) who would prefer to turn a blind eye, or leave it to someone else. There are no excuses for it, no ‘heat of the moment’ lapses, no ‘trying to make a point’. If these utterances have just slipped out then they betray a deeply ingrained prejudice. I don’t want those people around me or my kids just as I wouldn’t want someone openly spouting racist filth around me or my kids. I’m disappointed that KS has tried to justify PM’s actions by pointing to his longevity as a supporter.

Sadly, I think that these people are getting bolder, partly because they don’t get shut down consistently enough. I’ve been the subject of abuse on here (including by PM), and on the ‘Facebook page of hate’, with very few being quick to condemn. Most just shut up for fear of getting involved and becoming the target.

Interesting that we had an incident of racist abuse during the game today. I didn’t hear it and don’t know the exact content, but I’m not surprised it’s happened at TNL. If this forum and that Facebook page are any kind of yardstick then we clearly have as much of a problem at FGR as anywhere else. We just don’t like to think we do.

A really important post.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DIESEL » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:33 pm

TreeHugger wrote:Unfortunately there are some who support FGR (or at least on this forum) who would prefer to turn a blind eye, or leave it to someone else. There are no excuses for it, no ‘heat of the moment’ lapses, no ‘trying to make a point’. If these utterances have just slipped out then they betray a deeply ingrained prejudice. I don’t want those people around me or my kids just as I wouldn’t want someone openly spouting racist filth around me or my kids. I’m disappointed that KS has tried to justify PM’s actions by pointing to his longevity as a supporter.

Sadly, I think that these people are getting bolder, partly because they don’t get shut down consistently enough. I’ve been the subject of abuse on here (including by PM), and on the ‘Facebook page of hate’, with very few being quick to condemn. Most just shut up for fear of getting involved and becoming the target.

Interesting that we had an incident of racist abuse during the game today. I didn’t hear it and don’t know the exact content, but I’m not surprised it’s happened at TNL. If this forum and that Facebook page are any kind of yardstick then we clearly have as much of a problem at FGR as anywhere else. We just don’t like to think we do.

Totally agree. Well said.
DIESEL
Youth
Youth

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Gary Neville making the link between racism and anti-immigration views of the Prime Minister and politics and growing discrimination in society during the last three years:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshuaFunnel ... 0677239812
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 pm

I agree too TreeHugger.

Don’t forget though that the Facebook page of hate abuses everyone.
Our chairman, our manager, our players, our fans and each other.
Why they are still supporting a club they obviously hate is a mystery to me.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:Gary Neville making the link between racism and anti-immigration views of the Prime Minister and politics and growing discrimination in society during the last three years:

Spot on.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:25 pm

NewForestRover wrote:I agree too TreeHugger.

Don’t forget though that the Facebook page of hate abuses everyone.
Our chairman, our manager, our players, our fans and each other.
Why they are still supporting a club they obviously hate is a mystery to me.

Me too NFR. Maybe we shouldn’t even try to understand what goes on in their tiny minds.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:Gary Neville making the link between racism and anti-immigration views of the Prime Minister and politics and growing discrimination in society during the last three years:

We need much more of this kind of public shaming of prominent racists from those in the public eye. Well done Gary Neville.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:29 pm

Interesting to see the condemnation on this forum of today’s racist incident. One such example of condemnation comes from a poster who previously defended his right to vote for a party of far right nationalist extremists. This is a classic example of where the problem lies. Too many people think they’re not racists because they express horror at overt acts of racism, and yet they don’t acknowledge their own support of those with racist views. Enabling is just as bad as doing. It legitimises the act.

Tommy Robinson, Boris Johnson, Katy Hopkins, Godfrey Bloom, Nigel Farage... they’re all just at different points on the same hate spectrum. None are acceptable to me.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:24 am

TreeHugger wrote:Interesting to see the condemnation on this forum of today’s racist incident. One such example of condemnation comes from a poster who previously defended his right to vote for a party of far right nationalist extremists. This is a classic example of where the problem lies. Too many people think they’re not racists because they express horror at overt acts of racism, and yet they don’t acknowledge their own support of those with racist views. Enabling is just as bad as doing. It legitimises the act.

Tommy Robinson, Boris Johnson, Katy Hopkins, Godfrey Bloom, Nigel Farage... they’re all just at different points on the same hate spectrum. None are acceptable to me.

Yes, for those who experience discrimination or know people who do it was a kick to the heart to see posters who openly support racist politicians and policies posting their thoughts in the thread about the incident.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

I am struck by the irony that whilst we have racial discrimination quite rightly condemned on this thread we have people engaging in providing negative comments on a poster on another thread for not attending games. There will be many reasons why someone can't attend a game, including the likes of finance, distance from the club, a physical condition that may make it impossible at certain times or maybe having care responsibilities for a family member. Surely any criticism of them, for not having attended a game, should also be considered as a form of discrimination.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:53 pm

Foggy wrote:I am struck by the irony that whilst we have racial discrimination quite rightly condemned on this thread we have people engaging in providing negative comments on a poster on another thread for not attending games. There will be many reasons why someone can't attend a game, including the likes of finance, distance from the club, a physical condition that may make it impossible at certain times or maybe having care responsibilities for a family member. Surely any criticism of them, for not having attended a game, should also be considered as a form of discrimination.

I don't think it was the person who was being criticised, but the fact that they had said that they didn't go to many games any more, didn't sing when they did, and then complain about the lack of atmosphere.

The performance yesterday was very poor and disheartening, but many people did at least try to get behind the team.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Keep hearing about these 'disaffected/fed up about certain issues'. What precisely are they?

The club stopped a few adults getting in by paying for kids tickets. They are now hurt and feel un-loved, and want fosters for chistmas not real ale cos that's what their friends are getting.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:
Foggy wrote:I am struck by the irony that whilst we have racial discrimination quite rightly condemned on this thread we have people engaging in providing negative comments on a poster on another thread for not attending games. There will be many reasons why someone can't attend a game, including the likes of finance, distance from the club, a physical condition that may make it impossible at certain times or maybe having care responsibilities for a family member. Surely any criticism of them, for not having attended a game, should also be considered as a form of discrimination.

I don't think it was the person who was being criticised, but the fact that they had said that they didn't go to many games any more, didn't sing when they did, and then complain about the lack of atmosphere.

The performance yesterday was very poor and disheartening, but many people did at least try to get behind the team.

There's always been one or two on this forum who have a go at me whenever an opportunity arrives.

I'm used to it by now so it doesn't bother me.

8-)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:16 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:

There's always been one or two on this forum who have a go at me whenever an opportunity arrives.

8-)

Stay strong and ignore the bullies.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:24 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:

8-)

Stay strong and ignore the bullies.

Terrible advice.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:48 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:

8-)

Good, you shouldn't let them get to you NFR, everyone should be welcome to support the club and have an opinion without people having digs.

You've done nothing wrong.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:

8-)

Good, you shouldn't let them get to you NFR, everyone should be welcome to support the club and have an opinion without people having digs.

You've done nothing wrong.

Very rich.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:21 pm

michael wrote:the but word is always good value-you can see/hear/smell it coming :

i agree with you BUT.

I enjoy a nice online discussion as.much as the next man and the one that always tickles me is when somebody says FACT in capitals at the end of a statement that is anything but a fact." Fgr are the biggest cheats in the league.FACT" etc. :D
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Norton Boy wrote:
michael wrote:the but word is always good value-you can see/hear/smell it coming :

i agree with you BUT.

I enjoy a nice online discussion as.much as the next man and the one that always tickles me is when somebody says FACT in capitals at the end of a statement that is anything but a fact." Fgr are the biggest cheats in the league.FACT" etc. :D

Im not an expert BUT, I know this is FACT. :lol:
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:30 am

coming back to the topic ,obviously discrimination in any format is rightly condemned by the FA.

i just wonder therefore why they promote and label their competitions as :

The FA Cup,
The FA Womens Cup
The FA Youth Cup.

Does that not display both age and sexist discrimination ?

Should it just be the FA Cup for all involved ,or should what is commonly known as the FA Cup ,become the FA Mens Cup ?

Does the FA thus need to get its own house in order on the discrimination front ?
Would it be fair comment that most on this forum simply follow the mens version- ,and are thus demonstating their own discriminatory tendencies by association ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat