Discrimination.

For chat about all other topics

Re: Discrimination.

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:46 am

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:TOTC. It's part of our usual 'Woke' triumvirate that patrol the internet looking for P/C misdemeanours, old chap. ;)

I had to research this expression and yes I agree that in some cases the ideology known as “wokeness” has ridden through public and private institutions which in some cases is underpinnings our societies and morality.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:So therefore we take your opinions with a great deal of salt.


I think you should be careful who you say you are replying for.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:32 pm

Foggy wrote:
Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:TOTC. It's part of our usual 'Woke' triumvirate that patrol the internet looking for P/C misdemeanours, old chap. ;)

And long may the triumvirate flourish and continue to call out the type of moron who thinks it is acceptable to use offensive language to put down others.


I've seen this expression used in the Guardian what is it supposed to mean?

I bet I can't find it in the O.E.D?
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Hmmm strikes me to be self defeating in it's objectives, as it's para phrasing some Black American's use of the English Language going back to the 1960's?
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Foggy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:58 pm

TreeinWillsbridge wrote:
I've seen this expression used in the Guardian what is it supposed to mean?

I bet I can't find it in the O.E.D?


Try this definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

Think it covers it pretty well.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5666
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:18 pm

TreeinWillsbridge wrote:Hmmm strikes me to be self defeating in it's objectives, as it's para phrasing some Black American's use of the English Language going back to the 1960's?


That's correct TiW. The Woke are the PC generation that claim superior piety over others by being aware of PC misdemeanours such as racism, equality, sexism ... and therefore incorrect posting transgressions.

However, however, since it is a slang black Afro-American expression, it can be said that the 'Woke' has transgressed on the point a 'Woke' also makes about 'Cultural appropriation' being wrong!?

I feel the beautiful and expressive English language is becoming more demeaned as time moves on. :(
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
User avatar
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Foggy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
I feel the beautiful and expressive English language is becoming more demeaned as time moves on. :(


I believe it is called evolution...it is very hard to make progress if you stand still.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5666
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Foggy wrote:
Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
I feel the beautiful and expressive English language is becoming more demeaned as time moves on. :(


I believe it is called evolution...it is very hard to make progress if you stand still.


I understand it is your interpretation, but if you put an "R" preceding yours Foggy ... that's my interpretation. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
User avatar
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Foggy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
Foggy wrote:
I believe it is called evolution...it is very hard to make progress if you stand still.


I understand it is your interpretation, but if you put an "R" preceding yours Foggy ... that's my interpretation. ;)


Possibly, but if the language hadn't evolved in this wonderful land of ours we might still speak Brittonic, Latin or Norse...depending on where we live!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5666
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:07 pm

The fa banned womens football from playing at club grounds before, they could do it again.
User avatar
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Discrimination.

Postby TreeHugger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:31 pm

Says a lot about those who do so, that the term ‘woke’ is being used as an insult against those trying to fight discrimination. Daily Mail sales doing well in Nailsworth then....

Coming soon: Meghan Markle haters and Laurence Fox fanboys.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:26 am

Eco-Exile wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:
I believe yes this is the case. We know that Dale does not care for the women’s team. It would be much simpler to fund a couple of promotions with them than the men’s team. I said on another thread that as a woman who follows football I find Dale’s view disappointing but not surprising given his attitude and comments during and after the divorce. I just don’t think he likes women very much which is why he talks down in a very smug way to my posts on here and women on Facebook and our new MP. If RLB becomes Labour leader it will be interesting to see if Dale’s attitude to her is the same as it was to Corbyn.


I note that you have only been a forum member since Jan 2019 so will probably be unaware that DV has done more than any other Football League chairman to support women in the game.
[#] Dale appointed Helen [?] as CEO before Henry, one of about 3 women in entire Football league.
Helen voluntarily left a few years later to pursue other opportunities in her life.
[#] Dale also appointed Hannah Dingley as Academy Manager, the first woman run men's football in England.

You make general assertions concerning Dale's attitude towards women from a time of his acrimonious legal battle with a woman he was once married to 30 years earlier. Get real. In these days of sexual equality, his argument could equally apply to a high flying divorced woman as did to him.

Since you have been a member of this forum, you've been overly dismissive of Dale and the tremendous achievements he has secured in his life, such as becoming one of the biggest employers in Stroud, whilst saving FGR from bankruptcy in the Conference. Under DV's stewardship FGR have been promoted and is now established in the EFL.
So therefore we take your opinions with a great deal of salt.

BTW I'm more than sure Dale will work well with whoever becomes next Labour leader.


I have supported the club for ten years and only joined this forum after moving back to the U.K. but in the East so missed the club too much. I am well aware of the past appointments as I get most of my updates from the website, SNJ and family who remain in Gloucestershire and attend games.

I have also praised Dale many times for his leadership on environmental and progressive issues. On the stadium debate thread I said I was grateful so much for his pioneering work with renewable energy which means the U.K. wind generation is now a world leader. And his pioneering work on veganism and sustainability. The world is a better place due to Dale’s work and FGR is a better place due to his vision and ambition. I can’t give more praise than this but this does not mean I cannot make critical observations about him too.


Hi Old Tom, just checking you saw this. You are quick to attack me when I make a critical point about Dale or the the Club but you ignore the positive praise I give, so wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Discrimination.

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:Hi Old Tom, just checking you saw this. You are quick to attack me when I make a critical point about Dale or the the Club but you ignore the positive praise I give, so wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it.


EE,
I stand by every word I’ve written [Too occasional fan please note]
Your words of support are meaningless after your earlier scurrilous post; in fact they are insulting.
You claim to have been supporter for 10 years but are unaware of DVs proud history of promoting women in football. That leaves a huge question mark on your own credibility.
Now just go away and leave us all alone in peace.
Goodbye.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Too occasional fan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:40 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:Hi Old Tom, just checking you saw this. You are quick to attack me when I make a critical point about Dale or the the Club but you ignore the positive praise I give, so wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it.


EE,
I stand by every word I’ve written [Too occasional fan please note]
Your words of support are meaningless after your earlier scurrilous post; in fact they are insulting.
You claim to have been supporter for 10 years but are unaware of DVs proud history of promoting women in football. That leaves a huge question mark on your own credibility.
Now just go away and leave us all alone in peace.
Goodbye.


When you put a sentence like:

"So therefore we take your opinions with a great deal of salt."

on a forum, without qualifying 'we', it is clear that you are assuming a mantle of responsibility to reply on behalf of the forum.

You do not have the mandate nor evidence to do that. It would have been better to have put

"So therefore I take your opinions with a great deal of salt."

since that was factually correct.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:43 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:Hi Old Tom, just checking you saw this. You are quick to attack me when I make a critical point about Dale or the the Club but you ignore the positive praise I give, so wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it.


EE,
I stand by every word I’ve written [Too occasional fan please note]
Your words of support are meaningless after your earlier scurrilous post; in fact they are insulting.
You claim to have been supporter for 10 years but are unaware of DVs proud history of promoting women in football. That leaves a huge question mark on your own credibility.
Now just go away and leave us all alone in peace.
Goodbye.


I am very aware of Dale appointing a couple of women in senior roles. A much easier and lazier decision than showing ongoing commitment to backing and promoting the women’s team.

My praise and supportive words were not ‘after’ earlier post; I made them several weeks ago directly to Dale on the stadium thread when he was posting good responses on there and I have made them on this board previously to that too and of course verbally during my time supporting the club.

Why do you tell me to go away? Do you not like women being involved in football debates or questioning your own aggressive and arrogant attitude?
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:57 am

This is a thread about discrimination, it's understandable that some people will argue that it Is all pretentious signalling, and that discrimination doesnt exist, and if it does we should ignore it in all its forms.

I'm glad OTC has left the thread. Not because i dont value his input. I had intended the thread would be positive and less about personal vendettas.

COYR
User avatar
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Discrimination.

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:32 pm

He has been warned by Admin before for claiming to speak for more people than just himself. I hope they’ll be consistent and issue a further strike. It’s an awful habit especially for someone with some quite abhorrent views.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Discrimination.

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 am

Tomiswalking wrote:This is a thread about discrimination, it's understandable that some people will argue that it Is all pretentious signalling, and that discrimination doesnt exist, and if it does we should ignore it in all its forms.

I'm glad OTC has left the thread. Not because i dont value his input. I had intended the thread would be positive and less about personal vendettas.

COYR

On the contrary I was wishing Goodbye to EE; she should be the one to go.
She wrote the most offensive sexist post going and it she who should be banned.
Since the woman has been a member of this forum she has constantly acted as an agent provocateur on a number of subjects.
She is using the rest of us as dupes to deliberately create an air of bad feeling amongst true FGR supporters. I've been told that she is actually a Cheltenham supporter masquerading as a FGR fan.
And once again I confirm what I an happy with what I have written because I know it be the truth and supported by the majority.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Discrimination.

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:01 am

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:TOTC. It's part of our usual 'Woke' triumvirate that patrol the internet looking for P/C misdemeanours, old chap. ;)

Until you used the 'Woke' expression on this thread I had not come across it before.
Cor, strike a light I'm reading reviews on Doctor Who and it's there:
"Reasons cited for the show's continued demise include bad writing, poor acting and it's "woke" approach."
That's why the review made me smile even though I'm a Doctor Who fan.
https://cosmicbook.news/doctor-who-wors ... s-31-years
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Discrimination.

Postby Too occasional fan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:This is a thread about discrimination, it's understandable that some people will argue that it Is all pretentious signalling, and that discrimination doesnt exist, and if it does we should ignore it in all its forms.

I'm glad OTC has left the thread. Not because i dont value his input. I had intended the thread would be positive and less about personal vendettas.

COYR

On the contrary I was wishing Goodbye to EE; she should be the one to go.
She wrote the most offensive sexist post going and it she who should be banned.
Since the woman has been a member of this forum she has constantly acted as an agent provocateur on a number of subjects.
She is using the rest of us as dupes to deliberately create an air of bad feeling amongst true FGR supporters. I've been told that she is actually a Cheltenham supporter masquerading as a FGR fan.
And once again I confirm what I an happy with what I have written because I know it be the truth and supported by the majority.


OK Boomer.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.