Equality and Parity

For chat about all other topics

Equality and Parity

Postby michael » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:12 pm

i thought this deserved a separate discussion thread-albeit it is an offshoot of discrimination.

some may be aware of the stance taken by Lewes football club some time ago

i did post this information under the ladies team thread a few months ago ,where their ladies team are paid the same as lewes men .

it does not seem to sit well with everyone.

not financially easy to justify-even at lewes where their ladies are at a higher level than at fgr and the men at bostik level.
can't see how that would work at fgr and pay the ladies (does the ladies team still exist ?) £1000 per week.
might get a few better lady players/interest though ?

Discuss ?

http://nonleaguedaily.com/i-joined-a-fo ... ewes-exit/
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Equality and Parity

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm all for seeing the women's game grow and think all the promotion to bring in the recent big crowds for the WSL during the recent international breaks was brilliant.

At the moment though the women's game doesn't generate anywhere near as much income as men's football, so it would be difficult to justify equal pay across the board at all clubs. Hopefully one day it will be like tennis though, with equal pay and the top women's players multi-millionaire superstars in their own right. Definitely seems to be heading in the right direction.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:57 pm

It depends how you view the men’s and women’s teams: part of the same club or different.

My company has two offices, one in England and one in Scotland. Just due to the nature of the contracts, more revenue is won per capita by the England office. However, people on the same pay grade are paid broadly the same in each office.

One could argue that if the Club is viewed as one then income could be shared more evenly between the women’s and men’s teams. After all, the better paid, more professional and more well watched the women’s game is the better it will become and the more revenue it will generate - so ultimately the whole club benefits from increased total revenue.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Greeners » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi
Kentstripe wrote: Hopefully one day it will be like tennis though, with equal pay.

Tennis equal pay????????????

In the singles, single gender, competitions women get the same for LESS play.
The mixed doubles pay less than the single gender doubles.
In the Disability competitions the prizes are laughable in comparison.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:01 pm

I think this was done more to illustrate the gender pay gap, which definitely exists, than anything else. Lewes FC should be applauded for making a stand and highlighting something that is an issue across many industries, not just sport, though it seems to be the area where the disparity is far greater.

Didn't Meghan Rapinoe suggest that the American Women's team should be paid more than the men, partly because they were far more successful, as they generated a higher proportion of revenue through the sport in the US than their male equivalents.

I have always believed that someone should be paid the going rate for whatever they do, based on ability and what they contribute, far more than any other deciding factors...including gender.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Timb » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Interesting discussion. I've read about the Lewes equal pay a while ago and thought it's a good thing.

The revenue side is what is it is. If you generate value then you're going to be in a position to negotiate a part of that value and those you're negotiating with will make their decisions.

The US National Womens Soccer (Association Football) (shortened to Socker in the olden days then Soccer) have the fastest biggest selling replica shirt in history (I think). So yes MR is right. They deserve more, it was certainly entertaining stuff.

At the end of the day you pay people on their abilities and if they're good then good and if not good then less. Men or women. That's what we do.

In the olden days maybe not, and in some spheres maybe it's still the olden golden days...
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:15 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
Kentstripe wrote: Hopefully one day it will be like tennis though, with equal pay.

Tennis equal pay????????????

In the singles, single gender, competitions women get the same for LESS play.
The mixed doubles pay less than the single gender doubles.
In the Disability competitions the prizes are laughable in comparison.

Tennis is different. I will try and explain.

Tennis is prize money, not a salary.

TV rights are bought for a tournament as whole, not by gender, same for court sponsorship. Centre Court sells out for both the men’s and women’s final. As it is prize money not sponsorship it isn’t linked to time on court. Otherwise you would have to give Nadal less prize money if he won 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 than if he won in five sets, which would be odd.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 am

I find it strange in this day and age that women still play far fewer games in a tournament than men, the fact that men's games can go to 5 sets whilst women are limited to 3 almost gives out a message that they lack the stamina required to play longer. I wonder why they do not up the amount to match the men's game since it is woman against woman it is a level playing field so to speak, you don't have womens football only playing for 60 minutes etc. Indeed are there any other sports where the women's game is considerably shorter than the men's?
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:34 am

I think it is only the slams (US, French, Australian and Wimbledon) where the men can play for five sets...in all others it is three, as for the women...I am not really a tennis fan, I only pay attention during Wimbledon fortnight when it is on the Beeb, so this information may well be incorrect.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Norton Boy wrote:I find it strange in this day and age that women still play far fewer games in a tournament than men, the fact that men's games can go to 5 sets whilst women are limited to 3 almost gives out a message that they lack the stamina required to play longer. I wonder why they do not up the amount to match the men's game since it is woman against woman it is a level playing field so to speak, you don't have womens football only playing for 60 minutes etc. Indeed are there any other sports where the women's game is considerably shorter than the men's?

Yes it is weird.

All I can imagine is that the Grand Slam organisers can’t fit five set matches for women into a two-week schedule.

In the rest of the tour the men play three sets so it is only the Slams where men play more than women.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Ah thanks for clearing that up,i am not a big tennis fan so did not realise the men usually play 3 sets as well.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Kentstripe wrote:I'm all for seeing the women's game grow and think all the promotion to bring in the recent big crowds for the WSL during the recent international breaks was brilliant.

At the moment though the women's game doesn't generate anywhere near as much income as men's football, so it would be difficult to justify equal pay across the board at all clubs. Hopefully one day it will be like tennis though, with equal pay and the top women's players multi-millionaire superstars in their own right. Definitely seems to be heading in the right direction.

Tennis isn't a very good example as unlike football they're not playing to the same rules; only best of three set's so a bit of a soft ride.
TreeinWillsbridge
Youth
Youth

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:41 pm

TreeinWillsbridge wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:I'm all for seeing the women's game grow and think all the promotion to bring in the recent big crowds for the WSL during the recent international breaks was brilliant.

Tennis isn't a very good example as unlike football they're not playing to the same rules; only best of three set's so a bit of a soft ride.

As do the men in about 95%+ of tennis tournaments.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Return to General Chat