Sweet Caroline

For chat about all other topics

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Foggy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:23 pm

OK, I have been giving this a bit of thought and tried to come up with something really original...and I mean a track that it is really unlikely that anyone else has ever used, so we can call it our own...last night I had a bit of inspiration and thought of this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj-03tH6p2w

...definitely different, it has a bit of a quirky but really up to date feel to it despite its age...given the current climate, no pun intended, it sort of reflects the message and ethos we are trying to portray...and I think Dale might like it.

What do you think?
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby dove » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:52 pm

[quote][/quote]
+1 Love it.
dove
Youth
Youth

Postby Lady Magpie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Not impressed with that, mind you I am an old pensioner. Stick to Sweet Caroline which all ages know.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Ha! I do like that OMD song. Great group, and a seminal track from them too. But hardly singalong, and (current owner/sponsor apart) no real link with FGR. Liverpool!

Older still (and never a hit), and North London rather than West Country in inspiration (said "Village" Green being located in Muswell Hill), but I did think that a reworded version of the Kinks' "Village Green Appreciation Society" might do the job. More recently, a rather fabulous and underrated act, The Lilac Time (who have spent much time out West - mostly in Cornwall, and nearby, in Worcs, too, if not actually in Glos) have a fine little song (maybe too mellow for this purpose though) called "My Forest Brown", which could potentially get a more verdant respray for TNL, maybe...
DominicH
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:11 pm

I found a version of the Kinks track on YouTube, boy that was random, had never heard it before.

I guess the real challenge is to find something that people can sing along to, if they wish, but is also original and we can claim as ours...rather than a song that is completely lacking in that department.
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:30 pm

DominicH wrote:Ha! I do like that OMD song. Great group, and a seminal track from them too. But hardly singalong, and (current owner/sponsor apart) no real link with FGR. Liverpool!

Older still (and never a hit), and North London rather than West Country in inspiration (said "Village" Green being located in Muswell Hill), but I did think that a reworded version of the Kinks' "Village Green Appreciation Society" might do the job. More recently, a rather fabulous and underrated act, The Lilac Time (who have spent much time out West - mostly in Cornwall, and nearby, in Worcs, too, if not actually in Glos) have a fine little song (maybe too mellow for this purpose though) called "My Forest Brown", which could potentially get a more verdant respray for TNL, maybe...

They did a great song in the late 1980’s called Return to Yesterday. I think I’ve got the CD single somewhere in my collection
Tim13
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:08 am

Foggy wrote:OK, I have been giving this a bit of thought and tried to come up with something really original...and I mean a track that it is really unlikely that anyone else has ever used, so we can call it our own...last night I had a bit of inspiration and thought of this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj-03tH6p2w

...definitely different, it has a bit of a quirky but really up to date feel to it despite its age...given the current climate, no pun intended, it sort of reflects the message and ethos we are trying to portray...and I think Dale might like it.

What do you think?

Very happy to have this one included in pre-match music along with all other suggestions on thread plus of course [especially] Sweet Carloline.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:53 am

Sweet Caroline isn't a particularly great or original choice, but at least it's something we all know and can sing along to. I liked the Herman's Hermits one that we sang during our promotion run.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:59 am

Silver Surfer wrote:Sweet Caroline isn't a particularly great or original choice, but at least it's something we all know and can sing along to. I liked the Herman's Hermits one that we sang during our promotion run.

‘Knowing a song and being able to sing along to it’ is setting a pretty low bar for something that you want to represent and distinguish your team though, no? I know you can never please everyone but Sweet Caroline is a very lazy choice. I like some of the other suggestions on here though.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:10 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
‘Knowing a song and being able to sing along to it’ is setting a pretty low bar for something that you want to represent and distinguish your team though, no? I know you can never please everyone but Sweet Caroline is a very lazy choice. I like some of the other suggestions on here though.

Agree totally, I can sing the Italian national anthem and know most of the words to the French, but they are representative of those countries and certainly not appropriate for a football club like ours...knowing most of the words to something doesn't necessarily make it suitable.

I think we pride ourselves as a club in being different, having different ideas about how to do things, but in this respect we have failed miserably so far. It can't be beyond our gift to come up with something absolutely original, that nobody else has seen fit to use, and make it our own.
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi
Have a hunt through the Carrot Crunchers discography.
They're relatively local and there must be something suitable.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/4078655- ... -Crunchers
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dove » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 am

dove
Youth
Youth

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:40 am

Last night I watched the Anthony Josua / Andy Ruiz world title fight on TV.
Immediately before the boxers entered the boxing arena Sweet Caroline was played over tannoy and sung by nearly everybody there.

Today I'm watching the early morning BBC news when they had an item on Strictly Dancing where a couple danced to Sweet Caroline, apparently very well indeed.

Just thought I mention it ..... :D
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:19 am

The Old TomCat wrote:Last night I watched the Anthony Josua / Andy Ruiz world title fight on TV.
Immediately before the boxers entered the boxing arena Sweet Caroline was played over tannoy and sung by nearly everybody there.

Today I'm watching the early morning BBC news when they had an item on Strictly Dancing where a couple danced to Sweet Caroline, apparently very well indeed.

Just thought I mention it ..... :D

Yes. Thanks for making my point beautifully OTC. :roll:
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:43 am

TreeHugger wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:Sweet Caroline isn't a particularly great or original choice, but at least it's something we all know and can sing along to. I liked the Herman's Hermits one that we sang during our promotion run.

Knowing a song and being able to sing along to it’ is setting a pretty low bar for something that you want to represent and distinguish your team though, no? I know you can never please everyone but Sweet Caroline is a very lazy choice. I like some of the other suggestions on here though.

It's just one of many popular songs played in our pre-match playlist, it's not our club anthem or anything. It doesn't distinguish or represent the club, it's just a feel good tune a lot of people like, which is the idea of pre-match music. Can't see a problem with it, if you want one or two of those niche tracks some on here seem to like no reason why they can't be added to the playlist too at some point I'd imagine.

The club anthem, if you can call it that, is Jerusalem.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:15 pm

How about a nice west country blast of The Wurzels Cider Drinker,maybe changed to i am a vegan cider drinker :D a harmless sing a long that everyone knows and ever so slightly self deprecating .I will get my coat. :roll:
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Or "We've got an electric combine harvester"?

I already have my coat on. :?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:

Knowing a song and being able to sing along to it’ is setting a pretty low bar for something that you want to represent and distinguish your team though, no? I know you can never please everyone but Sweet Caroline is a very lazy choice. I like some of the other suggestions on here though.

It's just one of many popular songs played in our pre-match playlist, it's not our club anthem or anything. It doesn't distinguish or represent the club, it's just a feel good tune a lot of people like, which is the idea of pre-match music. Can't see a problem with it, if you want one or two of those niche tracks some on here seem to like no reason why they can't be added to the playlist too at some point I'd imagine.

The club anthem, if you can call it that, is Jerusalem.

I think there are two different conversations going on here. Sweet Caroline was originally touted on here (on a different thread) as a possible signature song to be played every week just as the players were about to emerge from the tunnel, thereby affording it some club status as an identifying anthem. That was what I object to because it is a lazy choice already adopted by many other sectors of entertainment (including as OTC has helpfully pointed out; the boxing, and Strictly). It’s unoriginal.

I’m not arguing that it shouldn’t be played at all in the run up to the game. That would be stupid.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:49 pm

It's also possibly a bit of a weird song about a v young girl...
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:29 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:It's also possibly a bit of a weird song about a v young girl...

It occurred to me yesterday that the song could be an anthem for Jimmy Saville...which made me feel even more uncomfortable about it being played!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat