Sweet Caroline

For chat about all other topics

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:It's also possibly a bit of a weird song about a v young girl...

It occurred to me yesterday that the song could be an anthem for Jimmy Saville...which made me feel even more uncomfortable about it being played!

Okay, so having now looked up the inspiration behind the song, it does seem a bit dodgy to say the least.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:27 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:It's also possibly a bit of a weird song about a v young girl...

It occurred to me yesterday that the song could be an anthem for Jimmy Saville...which made me feel even more uncomfortable about it being played!

Okay, so having now looked up the inspiration behind the song, it does seem a bit dodgy to say the least.

Complete and utter bullshine posted on here by a few activists who want club to ban song before matches.
The truth about origins of song was revealed on CNN by Neil Diamond:

For years the lore has been that Neil Diamond's 1969 song "Sweet Caroline" was an ode to the then young daughter of late president John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline.
But the singer revealed the truth behind the hit.
"I was writing a song in Memphis, Tennessee, for a session. I needed a three-syllable name," Diamond said during an appearance on "Today." "The song was about my wife at the time — her name was Marsha — and I couldn't get a 'Marsha' rhyme."
"Sweet Caroline" has since become a staple track, and in 2013 Diamond announced that he would donate the royalties to One Fund Boston to help those affected by the Boston Marathon bombing.
The song has been played at every Boston Red Sox home game for more than a decade, and there was a spike in downloads after the April 2013 tragedy.
Last edited by The Old TomCat on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:27 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Spot on, dubious to say the very least:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2007/11/ ... _imag.html

On the dodgyness scale, it is a hit!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Foggy wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Spot on, dubious to say the very least:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2007/11/ ... _imag.html

On the dodgyness scale, it is a hit!

NOT dodgy at all to write some inspiring words towards songwriters own wife.
Most women on earth would be more than pleased to have such compliments.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:29 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Complete and utter bullshine posted on here by a few activists who want club to ban song before matches.

For years the lore has been that Neil Diamond's 1969 song "Sweet Caroline" was an ode to the then young daughter of late president John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline.
"I was writing a song in Memphis, Tennessee, for a session. I needed a three-syllable name," Diamond said during an appearance on "Today." "The song was about my wife at the time — her name was Marsha — and I couldn't get a 'Marsha' rhyme."
"Sweet Caroline" has since become a staple track, and in 2013 Diamond announced that he would donate the royalties to One Fund Boston to help those affected by the Boston Marathon bombing.
The song has been played at every Boston Red Sox home game for more than a decade, and there was a spike in downloads after the April 2013 tragedy.

Oh do grow up OTC. Nobody’s calling for a ban - a few people are expressing their opinion that it’s not a great choice for a variety of reasons. You get exorcised about the most bizarre things.

As for your explanation of the song’s origin, only ND himself knows the truth and I’d expect him to want to find a more palatable inspiration if the former were being levelled at him.

As long as you’re happy why do you care what others think about it? Go and do something else.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:37 pm

I experienced it yesterday for the first time,and must say that the vast majority of fans around me in the East Stand were joining in and singing their hearts out. I found it to be very uplifting and a good crowd rouser to pre-kick off time. Id be happy for it to continue.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 pm

TreeHugger wrote:[
Oh do grow up OTC. Nobody’s calling for a ban - a few people are expressing their opinion that it’s not a great choice for a variety of reasons. You get exorcised about the most bizarre things.

As for your explanation of the song’s origin, only ND himself knows the truth and I’d expect him to want to find a more palatable inspiration if the former were being levelled at him.

As long as you’re happy why do you care what others think about it? Go and do something else.

Oh dear Treehugger its not often right and once again you're wrong.
I quote you own post back to you:

We can abandon that experiment now can’t we?

Awful, awful choice of song, favoured only by drunken, post-last orders, musically-illiterate oafs.

Embarrassing.

Remember it was YOU who started thread and therefore cannot complain if others of a different opinion challenge your assumptions.
Plus of course you've destroyed your own credibility by being personally rude and offensive. For that reason alone I hope Sweet Chariot remains part of the pre-match warm up routine. I love it, as do the overwhelming number of football supporters.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:03 pm

GETCARTER wrote:I experienced it yesterday for the first time,and must say that the vast majority of fans around me in the East Stand were joining in and singing their hearts out. I found it to be very uplifting and a good crowd rouser to pre-kick off time. Id be happy for it to continue.

I didnt want it banned at all!!! I thought the thread was about if it should be our club song!
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:15 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:

Awful, awful choice of song, favoured only by drunken, post-last orders, musically-illiterate oafs.

Embarrassing.

Remember it was YOU who started thread and therefore cannot complain if others of a different opinion challenge your assumptions.
Plus of course you've destroyed your own credibility by being personally rude and offensive. For that reason alone I hope Sweet Chariot remains part of the pre-match warm up routine. I love it, as do the overwhelming number of football supporters.

OTC; at the risk of you dominating yet another thread, can I ask why you think what you’ve quoted constitutes me asking for a ban? Do you understand plain English?

And can you please clarify your accusation of me being ‘personally rude and offensive’? Coming from someone with quite overt and unpalatable prejudices, I find that rather hypocritical.

You also claim to speak for an awful lot of people. Did I miss a poll?

Just because people don’t want to listen to you defending Boris Johnson’s racism and homophobia on one of the many political threads you’ve ruined, doesn’t mean you should try and bully people away from all other threads.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:18 pm

GETCARTER wrote:I experienced it yesterday for the first time,and must say that the vast majority of fans around me in the East Stand were joining in and singing their hearts out. I found it to be very uplifting and a good crowd rouser to pre-kick off time. Id be happy for it to continue.

Yes - absolutely GC. If the majority continue to want it then it should probably stay, even if I can’t stand it. My thread was started after its first airing when very few people joined in. Thanks for making a reasonable point unlike some others. :roll:
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:27 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:[

Embarrassing.

Is Sweet Chariot not a rugby song?
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi
Surely it is not a Rugby song any more than that dirge Liverpool fans sing is a Football song.
They have merely been adopted by a particular club's/sport's bunch of fans.

It would only be a Rugby song if it had been written for that purpose, likewise that aforementioned Beetles(sic) number
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Now we have the hang of S/C, perhaps we could follow up with YMCA. After all, we are 'The Village People' and the arm movements spelling out the letters is good exercise for us oldies who used to do that a lot. :lol:
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Got it..Pet Shop Boys - Go West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPTYtaiifE

Uplifting, words kind of suit our situation in many ways, sing-along...perfect!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Foggy wrote:Got it..Pet Shop Boys - Go West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPTYtaiifE

Uplifting, words kind of suit our situation in many ways, sing-along...perfect!

Certainly think that something referencing our geographical or rural roots would be good.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby paulK » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:55 pm

How about that Aretha Franklin number R.E.S.P.E.C.T?

Change the lyrics a little. Certainly on-topic.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:18 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

Glad you had a change of mind and agreed with the many, many posters [including me] who want Sweet Caroline played before home matches.

BTW what was the result of GE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:22 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

Glad you had a change of mind and agreed with the many, many posters [including me] who want Sweet Caroline played before home matches.

BTW what was the result of GE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:?: :?: :?:

I’m beginning to think OTC can’t actually read. Either that or there’s a screw loose somewhere. His rabid lust for the racist Johnson to retain power is perhaps raising his heart rate - the prospect of his prejudices being allowed to come out in the open getting his juices flowing.

Go to bed OTC. You’ve clearly had enough shandy for tonight.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:29 am

TreeHugger wrote:

No chance, I'm enjoying myself too much although I admit I've been having a drink to celebrate.
BTW I love listening to Sweet Caroline.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:46 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:

No chance, I'm enjoying myself too much although I admit I've been having a drink to celebrate.
BTW I love listening to Sweet Caroline.

I bet you do OTC. Find the content appealing do you?
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat