Sweet Caroline

For chat about all other topics

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:53 am

TreeHugger wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Go to bed OTC. You’ve clearly had enough shandy for tonight.


No chance, I'm enjoying myself too much although I admit I've been having a drink to celebrate.
BTW I love listening to Sweet Caroline.


I bet you do OTC. Find the content appealing do you?

YES :D
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:01 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Go to bed OTC. You’ve clearly had enough shandy for tonight.


No chance, I'm enjoying myself too much although I admit I've been having a drink to celebrate.
BTW I love listening to Sweet Caroline.


I bet you do OTC. Find the content appealing do you?

YES :D


Wow. Taking ‘hiding in plain sight’ to new levels...
:o :o
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Timb » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:07 am

I Gotta Right, Stooges live.

It should go down well with everyone...
User avatar
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 6722
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: SW18

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Nice that they have removed this abomination of a song from the pre-match playlist...but any chance of turning the volume down a bit, it was so loud yesterday that I thought my ears might start bleeding.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5666
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:00 am

Foggy wrote:Nice that they have removed this abomination of a song from the pre-match playlist...but any chance of turning the volume down a bit, it was so loud yesterday that I thought my ears might start bleeding.


Yes - it did appear to be much louder yesterday. Pretty uncomfortable.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:36 am

I know, spoiled my pre match snooze.
User avatar
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2953
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 am

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 am

Foggy wrote:Nice that they have removed this abomination of a song from the pre-match playlist...but any chance of turning the volume down a bit, it was so loud yesterday that I thought my ears might start bleeding.

I completely agree. It was uncomfortably loud. One of the things I enjoy about being at a game is to discuss results and news and the team selection before the game, but all conversation was impossible on Saturday.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
User avatar
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby michael » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:46 am

yet in other recent posts, there are observations about 'atmosphere lacking '.

is this not simply part of 'pumping it up'.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8122
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Foggy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:54 am

michael wrote:yet in other recent posts, there are observations about 'atmosphere lacking '.

is this not simply part of 'pumping it up'.


If the volume is so loud that you can't hold a conversation with someone stood or sat beside you, which is an important part of the match day experience for many of us, without screaming at them then I would suggest it isn't.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5666
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby The Running Rover » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:37 am

Silver Surfer wrote:
Foggy wrote:Nice that they have removed this abomination of a song from the pre-match playlist...but any chance of turning the volume down a bit, it was so loud yesterday that I thought my ears might start bleeding.

I completely agree. It was uncomfortably loud. One of the things I enjoy about being at a game is to discuss results and news and the team selection before the game, but all conversation was impossible on Saturday.


Yep. Really annoying that you can't even hold a conversation with the person next to you because the PA is so loud. Even the announcer talking made it impossible.
User avatar
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Farmhill

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:38 pm

The Running Rover wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:
Foggy wrote:Nice that they have removed this abomination of a song from the pre-match playlist...but any chance of turning the volume down a bit, it was so loud yesterday that I thought my ears might start bleeding.

I completely agree. It was uncomfortably loud. One of the things I enjoy about being at a game is to discuss results and news and the team selection before the game, but all conversation was impossible on Saturday.


Yep. Really annoying that you can't even hold a conversation with the person next to you because the PA is so loud. Even the announcer talking made it impossible.
at least they dropped the song this week. Imagine having to listen to that rubbish at high volume.
User avatar
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Foggy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:29 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:at least they dropped the song this week. Imagine having to listen to that rubbish at high volume.


Sadly it made a return yesterday...I'm guessing that most of those singing along are absolutely unaware of how inappropriate it is for a family friendly environment.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5666
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Tommo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:at least they dropped the song this week. Imagine having to listen to that rubbish at high volume.


Sadly it made a return yesterday...I'm guessing that most of those singing along are absolutely unaware of how inappropriate it is for a family friendly environment.


Goodness, is it rude? I hate it but haven’t listened to the lyrics closely. I thought “warm touching warm” was just hugging. I can cope with whatever music is played as long as we get three points.

Maybe we should play what the players want though. As I walked past the changing rooms at around 1.45pm there was a hell of a racket coming out through the walls. It sounded a lot more interesting than Sweet Caroline but might also not be for family listening
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 10550
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Foggy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Tommo wrote:
Goodness, is it rude? I hate it but haven’t listened to the lyrics closely. I thought “warm touching warm” was just hugging. I can cope with whatever music is played as long as we get three points.

Maybe we should play what the players want though. As I walked past the changing rooms at around 1.45pm there was a hell of a racket coming out through the walls. It sounded a lot more interesting than Sweet Caroline but might also not be for family listening


It was written by a man about a female child...anyone who thinks the words are appropriate in that context probably needs their head examining.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5666
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Foggy wrote:
It was written by a man about a female child...anyone who thinks the words are appropriate in that context probably needs their head examining.


"I was writing a song in Memphis, Tennessee, for a session. I needed a three-syllable name," Diamond said during an appearance on "Today." "The song was about my wife at the time — her name was Marsha — and I couldn't get a 'Marsha' rhyme."

Looking a bit too deep there Foggy perhaps and joining the popular conspiracy theorists? ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
User avatar
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby C F Wilder » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:18 pm

Obviously OTCs version of the songs origin is fake and Foggys is correct. OTC looks for his info in the wrong places.(over to the right?) Foggy looks in all the (politically) correct places. Its just a song for godsake. And far more tuneful than that Right here right now bol...ks.
C F Wilder
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:35 pm

C F Wilder wrote:Obviously OTCs version of the songs origin is fake and Foggys is correct. OTC looks for his info in the wrong places.(over to the right?) Foggy looks in all the (politically) correct places. Its just a song for godsake. And far more tuneful than that Right here right now bol...ks.

Oh for heavens sake get real.
Sweet Caroline has become the most popular sporting theme in the world in more than many sports.

Composer said it as dedicated towards his own wife and I am happy to believe his own words.
To say otherwise is disingenuous.

I love it as do millions of others including majority of FGR supporters.
Long may we hear it played on the FGR tannoy.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:03 am

Here, Here !. Im with you on that OTC.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Tommo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:05 pm

I’m not sure I’m much the wiser: https://www.smoothradio.com/features/sw ... l-diamond/

But like most things these days it’s another divisive issue. Some love it some hate it. I’ll endure it
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 10550
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Sweet Caroline

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:40 pm

As per 4 posts above Tommo. :)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
User avatar
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.