Proposed Stadium & Eco Park - contacting Siobahn Baillie MP

For chat about all other topics

Proposed Stadium & Eco Park - contacting Siobahn Baillie MP

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:04 pm

I have just received a reply to an email I sent to our new MP before Christmas. She had just made a public pronouncement which effectively endorsed the objectors and criticised those supporting the proposals. My email, her reply and my further response are set out below, unedited.

You may agree with what I have said to her or not. Likewise her stance (which I find anything but even handed). However the point of setting out the exchange is to encourage as many FGR fans to email or contact her as possible, regardless whether you are in favour of the new stadium. Whatever happens, better that Stroudies decide what happens at Junction 13 rather than Whitehall, as the result will inevitably become politically charged.

Siobahn Baillie's contact details are: Siobhan Baillie MP, Member of Parliament for Stroud, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
Website: siobhan4stroud.com email: Siobhan.baillie.mp@parliament.ukFrom me to Siobhan Bailie MP, email 24.12.19

From me to Siobhan Bailie MP, email 24.12.19

"Good morning

I read your public opinion about this matter lately. As a retired Development Surveyor, 35 year resident of Stroud and a confirmed FGR supporter, it saddened me to read what appeared to be a one sided assessment. I do hope you will set aside any opinion you may have formed from your brief association with our area and leave the SoS to make an assessment without becoming involved in the process

As in any case of this nature, people holding extremes of view crop up on both sides. The Applicant has has to deal with unfounded and personal accusations, much more so that those given in disappointment at the original decision. Those persisted at the recent planning meeting by speakers against the proposal, including incorrect and unfounded allegations about net loss of trees, breaking agreements on the existing site and so on.

Would that other leaders of industry had benefitted their home region as much as Dale Vince & Ecotricity - try to imagine Stroud without both, let alone FGR, as we negotiated our way through the worst period of austerity. He is a man of rare vision. A true leader. In uncertain times, his J13 Stadium Project and EcoPark (should that scheme be included in the Local Plan review as seems likely) promise to allow Stroud to maintain its recent prosperity, in the face of burgeoning schemes in Bristol and the Midlands.

In my opinion, the Junction 13 proposals as a whole represent the most exciting development for Stroud in 4 decades. Distinctive innovation and real jobs made for the future of Brexit Britain.  Please don't allow those to be lost to petty, ill based argument, only for warehousing and distribution units to come eventually as per Quedgely-Hardwicke and Junction 12

As was acknowledged by speakers at the SDC Planning Meeting, on either side of the debate, this development has to be considered in respect of the district as a whole, not simply some vociferous near and not so near residents of Eastington. However, to balance even that shade of opinion, you may wish to note that that Eastington Primary School and its parents are enthusiastic supporters of FGR's Ambassador Scheme. So please do not assume that even the Parish of Eastington is against the Stadium simply because some make negative noises.

If you have the interest of all your constituents at heart, please be less parochial in your soundings"

From Siobhan Bailie MP to me, email 13.01.20

"Dear Chris

Thank you for your email and I apologise for my delayed response. I am receiving a large volume of correspondence at the moment so I am not responding to people as quickly as I would like.

I am sorry that you have read my points about supporting the call in application being one sided, as that is certainly not the case. Similarly, I do not think it matters who the applicants or objectors are and what they have or have not done before for our area.  I have listened to both sides of the argument for many months - indeed since I became the candidate here in summer 2018.

In my view, there should be no criticism of the applicants and objectors for choosing to appeal/call in the rejection/approval of the various stages so far.  It is natural to want a matter to be assessed as far as possible.

Please be reassured that I have considered this matter carefully. It is an issue of high conflict for many parts of the constituency, not just the area where the stadium is planned to relocated. I genuinely believe that the matter will benefit from a 'call in'. I would not want such a large project built or rejected in such conflict without trying this route.

We are still waiting to hear from the Secretary of State regarding whether the 'call in' request has been accepted. This is not within my control.

I will keep residents informed of any developments as we go along.

I hope you had a peaceful Christmas break and best wishes for the new year.

With kind regards"

From me to Siobhan Bailie MP email 13.01.20

"Siobhan

Thank you for your reply

I hope I am reading your meaning correctly that you intend to maintain an even handed position? If that is the case, it would be advisable to resist using inflammatory and inaccurate phrases like "It is an issue of high conflict for many parts of the constituency". I note that you do not balance that with recognition of support for the proposals across Stroud, Stonehouse and the District as a whole.

Having been on both sides of arguments such as this (as a now retired development surveyor of some 40 years) there are few cases where I can recall a 'call-in' produced better judgement than elected planning members who abide by Planning Policy Guidance. Had you attended the latest Planning Meeting in December, which adjudicated the amended Planning Application, you would have been impressed by the way it was conducted and the level of detail discussed by Officers, Members and the Public. Even those opposed to the application respected its persuasive merits and architecture.

Delay does not serve anyone's interests. As you get to know Stroud better, you will understand the threats it faces to employment and commerce. Honda in Swindon is closing - a huge modern site that will be the subject of inducements to lure locally based companied (like Renishaw & Ecotricity). Cribbs Causeway at Bristol is set to DOUBLE in size and Filton Airport is the chosen location for a vast events stadium. South Wales is losing Ford Plants and is actively seeking replacement companies, and Cheltenham has just announced a giant residential and commercial development at GCHQ.

Stroud cannot afford to blow this chance of a leading Sports led development that will enhance the canal restoration and tourist attractions, let alone a future Eco Park that offers high quality jobs at the cutting edge of the green energy industry.

In short, please don't play village pump politics when the District's prosperity for decades to come is at stake.

Sincerely"

Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Proposed Stadium & Eco Park - contacting Siobahn Baillie

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm

From S/B's point of view, it may be a parallel where industrial employers are in long term conflict with the relevant trade union and ultimately call in ACAS to finalise a decision, CG11.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Out of interest, how is Cribbs Causeway set to double in size?
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51 pm

You are lucky to get such a quick reply Chris, I'm still waiting for her to respond to my letter on same subject.
I did vote for her but am not impressed with her handling of this issue, which frankly is currently the biggest in Stroud district.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:31 pm

ps to my last post:
I wrote to SNJ about Eco Park.
It might [or might not] be published in paper but I cannot find it on their online letters page.
It seemed to me that all the publicity came from the opponents of move and I wrote to even the balance.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:43 pm

I also have not had a reply to my email of the 23rd December. In it I appreciate the Christmas period and that she needs to bed into her new position.

Today I have requested a reply to my previous email as it's 21 days since I sent my email. I also voted for her, never voted Conservative before and would have prefer David to have been reelected, couldn't think of Jeremy Corbyn becoming PM.

Lets wait and see if I do get a reply.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:02 am

Jeremy Corbyn was never going to become PM. A vote for Labour in this constituency would have been a vote for David Drew. I struggle to understand arguments like “couldn’t think of Jeremy Corbyn becoming PM”.

Especially if they are backed up by wonderment at what the new MP has been up to.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 am

I'm glad the Tory voters are writing to her.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:33 am

:D
There's no point in my writing as I'm not a consituitent, but that reply sounds as if she has a hidden agenda up & running.

She couldn't care less whether Stroud attracts quality jobs or warehouse stackers, she's following instructions of those who got her selected as a Tory candidate I would guess.
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:16 am

I have now had a reply and am satisfied at this point to her answer to my email. She appreciates the traffic problems, stating that she has attended a couple of matches with her nephew. We await the response from the Secretary of State regarding the call in.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 am

Lady Magpie wrote:I have now had a reply and am satisfied at this point to her answer to my email. She appreciates the traffic problems, stating that she has attended a couple of matches with her nephew. We await the response from the Secretary of State regarding the call in.

LM

So she had been to a couple of matches at TNL!

Interesting because that was the crux of my email to her and one that the FGR remainers also asked of her, only they suggested she have a drink with them in the Nailsworth social club.
I said it was only by attending a popular fixture could she appreciate the chaotic traffic problem that it creates. Plus of course she could elucidate herself with the views of visiting supporters.

Oh and still no reply from the lady. :(
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:56 am

Just had a reply From SB very polite .She has already been to games there with her nephews and is aware of the traffic issues.

I think it being potentially called in covers her "bottom" from and issues with Easitington or Nailsworth residents who have a gripe or are a NIMBYs I think she is in favour of what it can do for Stroud so now is a time for building bridges and patience.
Remember Stroud is a marginal constituency and she does not have David Drew's installed base of support.
Bill Shankly
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:00 pm

As regards the question about Cribbs Causeway, proposals are 'on the table' to double the size of that out of town shopping complex, including such things as an indoor ski slope. Bristol City Council itself supports the proposed new events development in the Brabazon Hangar. Suspect A38 and Almondsbury Interchange will become an huge car park?

Regardless of the prospect of a reply, I do encourage people to email Ms Baillie. Maybe inexperience has let her down, giving knee jerk reactions, when considered silence might have been a better tactic. But for good or bad, she has paid attention to vociferous objectors at Eastington & Nailsworth so I presume that matching noise from those supporting the stadium & eco park will be telling too.

If nothing else, the size of her unaswered inbox will make her realise that an MP is responsible to all her constituents, not the noisiest or bluest

Go for it guys!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Chris, is there a new plan to extend the shopping centre? The only one I knew of was to extend by just 50%, not 100%.

As I understand it, that one got refused at call-in after an initial approval.

http://www.retaildestination.co.uk/crib ... -rejected/
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat