Brexit Britain Day 1

For chat about all other topics

Brexit Britain Day 1

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:39 pm

“A poster telling residents of a block of flats “we do not tolerate” people speaking languages other than English in the building has been reported to police.

The typewritten poster, bearing the title “Happy Brexit Day”, was reportedly found stuck to fire doors in Winchester Tower in Norwich on Friday morning.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ak-english
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Brexit Britain Day 1

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Another Brexit thread. Just what we need.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:56 pm

There are obviously going to be a few incidents like this across the country. The trick is to let the authorities deal with it without over publicising or getting hysterical about it. No notoriety or fame for the bigots along with criminal charges for their efforts and most will quickly think twice.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:59 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:“A poster telling residents of a block of flats “we do not tolerate” people speaking languages other than English in the building has been reported to police.

The typewritten poster, bearing the title “Happy Brexit Day”, was reportedly found stuck to fire doors in Winchester Tower in Norwich on Friday morning.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ak-english

This had been reported all over the media. Is it really necessary to copy it into the FGR forum?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:03 pm

Kentstripe wrote:There are obviously going to be a few incidents like this across the country. The trick is to let the authorities deal with it without over publicising or getting hysterical about it. No notoriety or fame for the bigots along with criminal charges for their efforts and most will quickly think twice.

Very good summation K/S. That should be the end of this topic, but no, the usual E-E will press on. :(
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:10 pm

Was hoping we could all move on from the damn politics of the last couple of years and stick with the football good or bad.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Surely there's nothing to see here.

Brexit is done.

Isn't it...?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Last edited by The Old TomCat on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm

Another unnecessary thread started by Eco-Exile.

Now then, isn't this a football club forum.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi
I don't allow any foreign language in my house.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 am

Last edited by The Old TomCat on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:32 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
I don't allow any foreign language in my house.

Not funny Greeners.

Whilst this forum is not somewhere that I often feel I need to discuss my principles, and whilst I think you were trying to make a joke, ridiculing this article is, what I feel, in bad taste. There are some people that might take comments such as yours as permission.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi
Where is the joke?
I DO NOT permit chatter in foreign languages in my house.

I will admit to using some alien words/phrases which have become common in English usage such as Entrepreneur or Corpus Delicti. I have even been known to use the occasional Welsh word when in Wales.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:33 pm

Wow. I have no words.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:38 pm

Can understand that tbf, it's never nice not knowing what people are talking about especially in your own house, but for me given I have relatives that don't speak English trying to enforce a rule like that would be a bit tricky!
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Where is the joke?
I DO NOT permit chatter in foreign languages in my house.

I will admit to using some alien words/phrases which have become common in English usage such as Entrepreneur or Corpus Delicti. I have even been known to use the occasional Welsh word when in Wales.

Intriguing post.

How are visitors to know of this rule? Is it written down and hung on the wall, or do you inform verbally as and when someone transgresses?

What is the penalty for contravention? Yellow card for a first offence, or a straight red for serious foul foreign languages?

And who is responsible for recording and reporting an offence? (Presumably, according to the commonly-known and -used principle of Corpus Delicti, the transgression must be proved to have occurred before someone may be convicted of it.)
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:Another unnecessary thread started by Eco-Exile.

Now then, isn't this a football club forum.

LM

whilst in the main i sort of agree with you ,i would respectively point out that this section/board on the forum is labelled general chat -and not general football chat ,and hence plenty of people have previously, and will in the future use it to talk about any subject they wish.

maybe it should be labelled general football chat ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm

I see the residents replaced the poster https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51355481

Talk of foreign languages being allowed brings back some memories for me. I never objected to my wife and step-daughter speaking in their mother-tongue, but never felt left out because if my wife thought I ought to be included, she asked her daughter to speak English.

I guess if someone is paranoid they might be being talked about it would be a good rule to insist on English only in one's castle.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:39 pm

A few years ago my family had a get-together and a quick totting up revealed an ability to speak and understand something like ten languages, which wasn't bad for around twenty people. Since then the three oldest relatives have passed away, they were the only people present who could only speak English. If we had a similar gathering now we could add at least three new languages, brought in by spouses/partners of those who were present at the first gathering. All of these people would be welcome in my home and frankly I couldn't give a damn what language they might choose to speak when visiting...if it is one I understand I will try and join the conversation, if not I might be able to learn something new.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:58 pm

I did once hear a rumour about a football manager who fined his French players for speaking French in the dressing room in case they were talking about him!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to General Chat