Brexit Britain Day 1

For chat about all other topics

Re: Brexit Britain Day 1

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Foggy wrote:A few years ago my family had a get-together and a quick totting up revealed an ability to speak and understand something like ten languages, which wasn't bad for around twenty people. Since then the three oldest relatives have passed away, they were the only people present who could only speak English. If we had a similar gathering now we could add at least three new languages, brought in by spouses/partners of those who were present at the first gathering. All of these people would be welcome in my home and frankly I couldn't give a damn what language they might choose to speak when visiting...if it is one I understand I will try and join the conversation, if not I might be able to learn something new.

Sounds like a nice family.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:54 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Sounds like a nice family.

It is a brilliant family, most of the time, and when we have a really big gathering it isn't really that relevant what language people are speaking...as long as the laughter is loud and the food tasty!!!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:55 pm

The only languages spoken fluently in our house are English and Woof-Woof!

The dogs spend so much time chatting and complaining that the neighbours probably wear ear plugs.

Our cat is trying to teach us to speak Miaow but we’re struggling to understand it.
She purrs then goes off in a huff.
One minute she tells us she loves us, the next minute she is hissing.
She refuses to speak and if you put pressure on her to respond, she attacks. :o

Miaow has to be the most difficult language ever.
Woof-Woof isn’t much better!
;)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 am

Had to laugh this morning while listening to the news.
Irena Andrassy, the Croatian ambassador, was chairing the UK’s final meeting of EU envoys as a member state because her country holds the six-month EU presidency.
Her final words on behalf of the EU to the UK as it departed the union were “thank you, goodbye, and good riddance”.
She assumed “good riddance” was akin to “good luck”, said diplomats present in the room.
Despite some feelings running high towards the UK over Brexit, the goodbye was not a barb in disguise, they insisted.

Mmmmmm :|
One does wonder :D
No, I'm sure the misspoken farewell was lost in translation.

Ms Andrassy’s unfortunate slip is emblematic of the UK’s mixed linguistic legacy in Europe: Britain has bequeathed English as one of the two main working languages of the EU (alongside French) but its nuances can often be lost on non-native speakers. 
Richard Corbett, a former Labour MEP who served for 16 years in the European Parliament, recalls an infamous intervention from a French MEP who stood in the chamber to thank “la sagesse normande” — or the “wisdom of the people of Normandy”.
The parliament’s translation service turned it into “all thanks to Norman Wisdom”. 
“No one of any other nationality could quite understand why the British and Irish members were in stitches!” said Mr Corbett.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:45 am

I remember a meeting when I was working in Toulouse where we spent a long time trying to explain to our French and German colleagues the difference between "utter ****" and "the dogs ****".

There was another session where an English person asked his French colleague what the French was for "double entendre".

There is also a very nice French wine - Entre Deux Mers - which was translated as " Between Two Mothers ". Of course a "pas de deux" is a father of twins.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:30 pm

And of course, coup de grâce is 'to mow the lawn'.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:43 pm

I can't say I smiled when I saw another Brexit thread but this cartoon on 'What football can expect in the aftermath of Brexit' made me laugh several times:

Love the depiction of Farage....coming to Quest to comment on FGR :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... -of-brexit
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Pitchfork wrote:I can't say I smiled when I saw another Brexit thread but this cartoon on 'What football can expect in the aftermath of Brexit' made me laugh several times:

The reference to the monorail salesman is spot on. That Simpsons episode should be on the national curriculum.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:I can't say I smiled when I saw another Brexit thread but this cartoon on 'What football can expect in the aftermath of Brexit' made me laugh several times:

The reference to the monorail salesman is spot on. That Simpsons episode should be on the national curriculum.

If it was Farage or Johnson their followers would launch a campaign against schools promoting “sneering liberal elite fake news”.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to General Chat