To VAR or not to VAR ...

For chat about all other topics

To VAR or not to VAR ...

Postby man_of_kent » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 pm

So for the last 5 years almost every man and his dogs said it was ridiculous that the officials were not getting help by technology to get the decisions right. Now we have the technology they are complaining that it is getting too many decisions right. How mad to say something like 'it was only an inch off side' and implying it is not offside!!! Yes of course VAR is not 100% accurate but you don't then get the officials to start working out if the play is within the accuracy of the system!!!!

.....only in football....
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: To VAR or not to VAR ...

Postby Tommo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Haha, right. I think the problem with VAR is the length of time it takes to confirm or overturn a decision. Also, I don’t think fans anticipated the muting of excitement around a goal scoring event now VAR has to confirm it so often. I suppose now there is a double ‘event’ (when the goal is scored and when the VAR decides) but it’s not the same
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby soscookie » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:37 pm

in a recent Man.city game there was a delay of 2 minutes 20 seconds to decide on a penalty decision, in the meanwhile play continued.
what would have happened if a goal had been scored at the other end, which very nearly happened, would it have been disallowed.
they have to get the VAR responses much quicker in my opinion.
soscookie
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Arsène Wenger is pressing to change the offside rule in his role as Fifa’s head of global development and his proposal could be passed in time for the Euro 2020 finals.

The former Arsenal manager wants a player to be onside if any part of their body that can score a goal is behind or level with the relevant defender.

His move follows a series of video assistant referee (VAR) decisions in which goals have been disallowed because a player has been fractionally offside.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... calls-ifab

Sensible suggestion by Arsene although does not intrude upon League 2 games yet.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:20 pm

So would that be the end of chants like "your teeth are offside", frequently aimed at the likes of one Mr Suarez.
Tim13
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Tim13 wrote:So would that be the end of chants like "your teeth are offside", frequently aimed at the likes of one Mr Suarez.

I always thought that the issue with Mr Suarez was that his teeth were in sides...and various other areas of an opponents anatomy!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Greeners » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi
I think it would be better for VAR or officials if you were only offside if there was daylight between the defender's line and the attacker's. in the same way that the ball has to clear the line for what ever is being judged (Throw In, Corner, Goal Kick or Goal) any overlap and it wouldn't be offside.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR andHibs » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Football is all about controversy. There's a satisfaction from complaining that the last minute goal you conceded should have been disallowed for offside etc, that the penalty given against you was a dive etc. etc. etc.

If VAR was 100% accurate, it still takes the flow out of the game. It isn't, it destroys the flow of the game and today when you have a team that has a goal disallowed and a penalty given against them instead, you end up with an absolute mess of a game.
FGR andHibs
Trainee
Trainee

Postby soscookie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:39 pm

in a recent Man.city game there was a delay of 2 minutes 20 seconds to decide on a penalty decision, in the meanwhile play continued.
what would have happened if a goal had been scored at the other end, which very nearly happened, would it have been disallowed.
they have to get the VAR responses much quicker in my opinion

I have my answer now, on Saturday a goal was scored and then disallowed following a VAR inquiry earlier in the play down the other end.
surely we have to wait for a check before going on or forget it altogether.
soscookie
Trainee
Trainee

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm

VAR should only be used for decisions inside the penalty box with 30 seconds to make a decision & the offside rule should be simplified; that would keep everybody happy. Nobody want's stupid rulings where an attacking players knee is deemed to be offside.
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves

Return to General Chat