Keeping the forum alive

For chat about all other topics

Keeping the forum alive

Postby Pitchfork » Wed May 13, 2020 11:34 am

Well done to New Forest Rover for keeping the forum alive with various games & puzzles. As with the 'What's on TV' thread, she started a couple of years ago it provides a healthy diversion with no football to talk about.

The Coronavirus & ''How are we coping' threads have prompted useful discussion and reasoned debate. There is a lot of fake news about but also some highly informative contributions.

I have just dipped into members' postings and approximated numbers: those that have followed FGR the longest have made the most. It's great that, apart from Supersi & Sledge, most are still as active as ever.

Here are the stats & a few thoughts. It's one of the better football forums around.

Rounded off totals

10,000 Tommo

9,000 Pitchfork

8,000 Michael

7,000 Lady Magpie, Timb

6000 Kentstripe

5000 Foggy, Fartvs

4000 Sledge, Ash, Running Rover, Chrisgump, Old Tom Cat

3000 Silver Surfer, Too Occasional Fan, Stanman, Stroud Green, Voodoobluesman, Greeners

2000 Two Guns, Greenstripe, Phil Mitchell, Skunkman, Supersi, Paul K

Top eight have been posting since 2008, 12 years. All are still active

Sledge ( former name Yokel on old board) moved away & hasn’t posted for 3 years. Miss his wit & candid comments
Supersi moved away & hasn’t posted for 5 years - he was a very keen fan, again much missed.

Tommo leads the pack, always constructive, supportive & honest in his views.

ChrisGump & Old Tom Cat have only been posting since late 2012, less than 8 years. Both have FGR in their DNA and are keen to express their firmly held views. OTC runs what is regarded as one of the best prediction forums in League Two.

Voodoobluesman only joined in 2014: also very active on 'TWITTER'

Lady Magpie has her own forum but as club statistician, she has lots of facts at her fingertips

Timb is our FGR History expert; he has written the highly acclaimed 'Something to Shout' about book on the club and is always happy to delve into the archives to check facts & provide definitive information

Almost everyone loves Michael's posts - quirky, creative & usually very readable

Ash provides us with reports, interviews and helps keep our local paper in business. Sad he is currently furloughed.

Stroud Green, club photographer, is FGR through & through. He provides superb shots from matches, both of players & fans.

New Forest Rover only joined mid 2017 & is almost up to 2000
Eco-Exile has been with us just over a year (2019) & is already just over 1000

Thoughts welcome
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Keeping the forum alive

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed May 13, 2020 11:42 am

Thanks Pitch.
And you run the best Ambassador scheme in country which I know takes up a lot of your time and posts.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Lady Magpie hasn't her own forum, I have a website with all the clubs fact and figures. There was a forum attached to my website but was only used for a short period when this one went down.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed May 13, 2020 9:56 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:Lady Magpie hasn't her own forum, I have a website with all the clubs fact and figures. There was a forum attached to my website but was only used for a short period when this one went down.

LM

And she is very good at correcting everyone's mistakes!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:Lady Magpie hasn't her own forum, I have a website with all the clubs fact and figures. There was a forum attached to my website but was only used for a short period when this one went down.

LM

And she is very good at correcting everyone's mistakes!

That's because I'm a retired Quality Assurance Manager Pitchfork.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu May 14, 2020 8:26 am

Hello Pitchfork.......
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu May 14, 2020 10:07 am

GETCARTER wrote:Hello Pitchfork.......

Hello GETCARTER, another rapid riser - just over 3 years on the forum & soon be 2000 posts.

We did meet once, and as Vera says...we'll meet again, don't know when...but I know where!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Thu May 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi Pitchfork,

Love the forum as it keeps me in touch as I too have moved away to Cornwall. I still attend a few matches home and away as we have many friends and family in Gloucestershire.

Was really looking forward to the Plymouth game before this damn virus.

I hope the season plays to a finish and not written off on a points per game average.

Take care everyone and stay safe.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Thu May 14, 2020 2:04 pm

My thoughts are that this is a great place to be.

It's good for chatting, listening and keeping in touch with everything.
There are some excellent posters here. Long may it continue....

Thanks for the mention Pitchfork.
I'm glad you're enjoying the forum game threads.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu May 14, 2020 6:48 pm

Many thanks Pitchfork. I really look forward to each day, when i read the postings over night, and i can add mine first thing in the morning. This keeps me sane, and taxes the grey matter, and brings amusement when reading the suggestions and comments. Keep it going !.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 am

Only just stumbled across this thread as well.

thats really embarrassing -FGR aren't even my first luv -
Absolute proof that i must get out more ,and whilst still contributing,make fewer posts .
my limp excuse is that i make a reasonable number of posts late at night/early morning when i've done some work and play, and reading stuff on here is more interesting and/or educational than sleeping where i'm a five hours a night maximum type of guy
truly shocked at the stats .

do i take it that it was 2008 when this forum went live ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:17 pm

Just seen this thread.

Given that this forum is soon to shut down, would just like to say thanks to all those that have made an effort to keep it lively and entertaining down the years. Been a lot of ups and a few downs, but generally it's been a great decade of progress for the club all documented on here.

Whatever people's opinions on different aspects of the club, the main thing is pretty much everyone on here are here for the same reason. Hopefully the new forum sees just as many highs and hopefully a few more posters then recently!
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Yes Kentstripe, it is a timely thread, though now edged with a touch of sadness as the end is nigh!

I have friends at several clubs and they almost all respect the quality of the threads & interaction on the FGR forum.

The forum has seen many managers, hundreds of players and 12 seasons of club progress...so much history, dialogue & over a million views of thousands of topics.

The top 20 posters have contributed 100,000 posts between them. Almost 250 forum users have contributed over 100 posts each.

So I endorse your thanks to all who have posted, to many for their links to articles and to the moderators who have ensured the club forum has endured & retained its popularity.

Hope to see you all on the new forum
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Yes Kentstripe, it is a timely thread, though now edged with a touch of sadness as the end is nigh!

I have friends at several clubs and they almost all respect the quality of the threads & interaction on the FGR forum.

The forum has seen many managers, hundreds of players and 12 seasons of club progress...so much history, dialogue & over a million views of thousands of topics.

The top 20 posters have contributed 100,000 posts between them. Almost 250 forum users have contributed over 100 posts each.

So I endorse your thanks to all who have posted, to many for their links to articles and to the moderators who have ensured the club forum has endured & retained its popularity.

Hope to see you all on the new forum

Incredible numbers Pitchfork, mind boggling, let's hope we can have more of the same on the new platform.
Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

FGR and Ecotricity Web Designer
Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Return to General Chat