Sad news

For chat about all other topics

Sad news

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:31 am

So sorry, I have some some sad news.

Dr. John Harrop, Stanman on our forum, passed away on Thursday night. John was at home and in bed, this was unexpected.

This will a huge shock for us all. John was a very good friend to lots of fans at FGR and a very respected voice on the forum. He will be sorely missed at The New Lawn.

He was a consultant pathologist at the Royal Derby Hospital for most of his career and was involved in dementia care, especially around the theme of 'Sporting Memories'.

John grew up and was schooled in Minchinhampton and Stroud (Marling), before going off to medical school in London.

Susan Harrop, his dear wife, has the support of their family and friends.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Sad news

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 am

This is devastating news.

Home and away, John was ever-present and often drove several others to games. He has been there for us through thick and thin. Added to the crushing effect of Covid in curtailing sport, this feels like the end of an era.

As Pitchfork says, John had a long and distinguished medical career. Also. he has done an enormous amount to help people with dementia, and organisations that support them. A fantastic man

At a suitable time, it would be good to have a permanent reminder of John at the club

Rest busily John - cannot think of you twiddling your thumbs. Sincere condolescences to your family, friends & loved ones
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:02 pm

That is a shock. He was active on our forum quite recently amongst all the topics. One of the most tolerant and knowing chaps at TNL I eventually got to know.

Condolences from Gordon.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:35 pm

My condolences to John's family and as you say quite a shock. A very knowledgable man and a great supporter of FGR with his own initiatives. I enjoyed talking with him on various topics and trying to sell him more than just the one raffle ticket.

RIP Stanman.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:06 pm

This is really sad news.

His seat was on the row behind mine and just a few to my right, we exchanged friendly words at just about every home game, usually during the half time break and again on leaving the stadium at the end of the game.

A true gentleman, you will be missed Stanman. RIP
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Terrible news. A lovely man. I'm forever grateful for him spending time helping my stepfather with his dementia.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:25 pm

My sincere condolences to Stanman's family and friends, of which he had many.
Always thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts.
RIP
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm

John had a lovely gentle but telling sense of humour. A role model for us all

I hope someone can help me with this story. During Adie Pennock’s tenure, I think, a question & answer session was organised by the SC in the Carole Embrey suite. The manager & Chair attended

I recall that it was rather tense at the time with a fair bit of sharp criticism of the manager’s tactics & player selection flying about the forum

Who would be brave enough to ask the first barbed question? The mic found its way to John. With tongue in cheek, John prefaced his question with the phrase “ a friend has asked me to enquire ...”

Laughter & smiles broke out as the tension eased instantly even though his contribution was far from complimentary . That was John. He will be sorely missed
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Very sad news.

John always had time for a chat and had so many friends at FGR.

I'll always remember New Year's Day 2019. Home match against Northampton.
A time when atmosphere was poor and our players were lacking support and needed appreciating more.
A few of us were discussing it on the forum, how we could make things better.

John very kindly offered to give me lifts to and from station due to no buses running. On the way to TNL we stopped in Nailsworth for coffee and to discuss our tactics.
Rather than sit in his usual seat, he joined my very small noise-making crew (there were only two of us!) in front of the B & W bar.
It worked. We were loud throughout the match and we WON!
Theo Archibald scored in stoppage time. I'm sure it was thanks to us.

John's own words to me:

"Plenty of recognition after the match of better vocal support from main stand, other fans, MC, local press and social media.
Just that little prompt from us both initially and it spread through the main stand to the others. Let's hope the ice is broken and support now will hopefully take off big time. Looking good! Well done you and I.
I'll be shouting as best I can at next home games."

I'm sure you still will be and when I'm next able to visit TNL, I'll do you proud and make just as much noise again.

Good memories. It was so nice knowing you.

RIP Stanman
x
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:16 pm

RIP
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Too occasional fan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:36 pm

Oh my. That is sad. His avatar always heralded an interesting post. I’ll miss them both.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:10 pm

I'm getting old but I'm sure I know John very well. I will naturally say Rest in Peace and my condolence to his family, he was a true FGR supporter.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Very sad news, John was a thoroughly nice and knowledgeable man with a great sense of humour. His work with dementia sufferers was an example of the sort of person he was, and I'm sure he'll be sorely missed by all those that knew him.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:35 pm

RIP Stanman
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby twoguns » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:29 pm

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this terrible news and add my sincere condolences to his family.

RIP John.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:09 pm

RIP Stanman - a sad loss.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Condolences to his friends and family. I don't know if ever I met but I'm sure I saw him at away games.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Miss you Stanman, 3072 posts, every one of them meaningful, contributing to the healthy debate on the FGR forum.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:10 pm

What can I say that hasn’t been said above, I agree with all the comments he was a genuine fan of football but especially the Rovers. A lovely guy to have a conversation with and will be sorely missed.

RIP John and condolences to his family
John Whiffen
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Not having engaged on the Forum for several months, it was only today that I found out about John’s passing. A lovely man to talk with, either face to face or via this Forum and on occasions he would DM me to get advice on a football matter.

I shall miss his smile which always shone through whenever he spoke and I suspect many of his patients over the years were put at ease by his style of interaction on the very subject at the heart of the conversation.

Thoughts with his family at this time and how sad it is we are unable due to the current circumstances to show respect to those who deserve it, by just by being able to be present to say farewell.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to General Chat