The National League

For chat about all other topics

The National League

Postby michael » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:45 pm

Its on evenings like this ,that you would love to have a penny for the thoughts of Footieman ,and his insight into the events of the last week.

-just when it was beginning to go so well ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: The National League

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 am

michael wrote:Its on evenings like this ,that you would love to have a penny for the thoughts of Footieman ,and his insight into the events of the last week.

-just when it was beginning to go so well ?

What events in particular :?:
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 am

a bit long winded (surprise surprise )

maybe google it -but here is a 'taster '.

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... the-table/

in a nutshell-despite the length it took to get to a decision /options and subsequent vote stage -due yesterday -,the options were changed/pulled just 24 hours before the vote papers were due to be sent out last friday , based on advice from the 'scientists ' (government ) as to what constitutes an 'elite' club;-so this 'elite' stuff was all new - but then after a bit of an eruption, the govmnt denied their advice was specific ; and/or the NL interpreted it wrong (U -turn ) ,so yesterdays 'final' vote rolled down the road until this wednesday with new options .

i wonder how long the NL were sitting on the elite stuff advice despite the NL saying they only knew last thursday ?

thats loosely my understanding-are you keeping up - but i am sure Footieman will have a lot to say about it when he writes his memoirs, but until then unfortunately ,i suspect his lips and fingers are sealed .

so if the new option -play offs after all-for NLS and NLN does go through, those clubs then need to decide if they can afford to be in the play offs anyway -more chaos if one or two 'opt out '.

Meanwhile- we will await what the EFL due with a 'problem called macclesfield '.
thats probably an even bigger call
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:27 pm

so its a definite welcome to Barrow -another short trip - and most likely play offs for nls and nln after all.

i wonder if the EFL will look at fixtures and give 'southern' EFL2 clubs a saturday (or sunday ) and consecutive tuesday night away fixtures at Carlisle and Barrow to enable just one trip .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:35 pm

and its now a definite bye bye to Stevenage as they are pushed through the tap door into the National league ; and hence FGR maintain next seasons visit to macclesfield

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53028810
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:39 am

michael wrote:and its now a definite bye bye to Stevenage as they are pushed through the tap door into the National league ; and hence FGR maintain next seasons visit to macclesfield

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53028810

So pleased for the Silkmen fans: they have been blighted with a shady owner. Their Supporters Trust has worked tirelessly raising funds and fighting their case. They will never forget the contribution from FGR Supporters club ( from a match raffle) that helped them at a perilous time.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 am

The points deduction was unfair any way and should have been pro rated in accordance with games played.

They survive but for how long court hearing scheduled re winding up order till September.I for one would be surprised if they survive the season.
It might have made sense to keep Stevenage in ready for the spate ? of foldings a sclubs deal with zero revenue from supporters attending..

Does this mean Curtis Gurthrie is available...yes please.
Bill Shankly
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:45 pm

I think Curtis was last seen at Bradford City .

you may be correct that quite a few previous football supporters wont attend any more when the new season starts, but i will be giving a few football clubs a bit of minor income when football re starts in england as a spectator sport this september .

there will be a bit of a football marketing job to be done to get people back, but i think most will return, but everyones personal choice what to do with their leisure time
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Still not confirmed that Stevenage will be relegated.
Should TNL be unable organise a league because so many clubs could have gone bust then Stevenage will remain in EFL.
The EFL have stated they will not demote any team under those circumstances.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm

true ,but that is just not going to happen.
the national league already planning its mid sept start, and yes-one or two clubs may fall away (albeit more likely early next year imo ) ,i cant envisage a whole host of national clubs falling apart over the next 12 weeks .

if anything, more likely that macclesfield will crumble further (and 12 months ago remember that the EFL supported Bury and that worked well)
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Hello Michael,
I am still around and working hard for those 68 Member Clubs who make up the National League. I would just like to say that social media platforms spread many rumours which suits those with ‘self interest’. Being the meat in the sandwich has not been easy for many reasons and decisions have to be carefully thought through.

The Hare and the Tortoise might be a fitting story to show it’s not alwYs the fastest who wins the race. People and organisations who have the ability and guts to change announced plans, then long may that continue.

Step2 clubs argued their point and now we have 12 of them who have a difficult ask to work through the minefield of Government regulations and other medical compliance just to get to the starting line. Playing behind closed doors with no income from usually bumper Play Off crowds will be challenging, which even EFL clubs has found daunting, Yes it costs a lot with testing and many other PPE to be sourced. Just my side preparing protocols and other documents has been hard and that is just to meet Stage 1. There are two more Stages after to meet before a ball is even kicked in anger.

My personal task from the NL Board is to work with the Step2 dozen to get them there. Who knows whether that will be successful. If they can do it then I am confident that when the new season kicks off we will have 68 still with us, albeit it could be 67 if the EFL keep Stevenage, which they said they might.

After the past few months though anything is possible. Personally I never thought we would see Play Offs in EFL and at Step1, let alone Step2. So I am not going to predict the future months.

Be positive, proactive and be professional is my call to the Step2 dozen.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:58 am

Thanks for reply ,taking some time out to post ,and putting head above the parapet

as i say-we await the full story in your memoirs.

again-don't i believe everything you read in the papers ,but it seems only Chester are wavering (and can't blame them ).

as i say regularly on here relating to FGR -play offs are a nuisance/ interuption for clubs , albeit exciting for supporters , even at the best of times unless you actually win them.Otherwise, just messes up the following season

I do feel sympathy for Stevenage, but at least somebody made the call.
can't see them getting a reprieve as whatever happens,-surely the NL gives them a new home to ply their trade (and probably from september ?).

I feel really sorry for Ebbsfleet though-having sorted themselves out after first half of season-on a roll ,near top of form guide ,such a fine margin as well .That is a tough one
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:44 pm

despite public proclamations to the contrary, as this is a fast moving loosening of lock down environment; does anybody else spot an opportunity for the nat. league/FA and govmnt to work togather and 'experiment' with limited 'mass gatherings' .

with the NLS and NLN playoffs unlikely to commence until late July, is there an early opportunity here to allow gatherings of perhaps 2000 people at these play offs ;as a forerunner/test to complete relaxation for the commencement of Septembers new season ?

it would also of course provide a bit of income to participating clubs but maybe 50% of any receipts is 'pooled' to be shared among all the clubs in the league
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:31 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Still not confirmed that Stevenage will be relegated.
Should TNL be unable organise a league because so many clubs could have gone bust then Stevenage will remain in EFL.
The EFL have stated they will not demote any team under those circumstances.

They think its all over .

It may not be .

It must feel great at macclesfield, when your own league (EFL ) wants to get rid of you ,and is challenging the decision that supposedly saw Stevenage relegated .
How nice of the EFL to try and give the hospital pass that is macclesfield to the National League !

that given-how many 'appeals' are overturned-very very few, so i anticipate eventually, it will be bye bye to stevenage
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:45 pm

meanwhile-in Kent-Ebbsfleet accept relegation and go down on ppg by 0.002 of a point .

thats a tough one for them to take ,but the National League breath a huge sigh of relief that their leagues do not incur more disruption /delays .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:57 pm

If he stays with Halifax-no father v son league game next season then .
Pity-would have been fun
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:14 pm

I bet he would have got sent-off v us!.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:42 pm

michael wrote:If he stays with Halifax-no father v son league game next season then .
Pity-would have been fun

Nor Yeovil, pity.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:54 pm

I have my reasons but am supporting Barnet in playoffs.

If they return to our League I’d be able to actually go (unlike most away matches),
I like the fact that away fans have their own (massive) bar.

So really happy with result.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby biggazza » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:18 pm

I'd be happy with either Boreham Wood or Barnet. My son lives in walking distance of their ground and 2 of my grandsons were born at Barnet hospital. A good away fixture to attend either way
biggazza
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to General Chat