UPDATE: Launching a new FGR Forum

For chat about all other topics

UPDATE: Launching a new FGR Forum

Postby Simba » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:01 pm

Hey Everyone,

To add to the excitement of next season (now that next season has been confirmed), we are moving to a new forum! :o

Work has been going on to setup the new system over the past few months, we’ve tried to replicate everything that we like about the current forum and tweak a few things that needed tweaking.

Why are we changing forum?
This platform is old, in fact it’s redundant and we haven't been able to update it for years. This has implications for security among other things. The new one has some great features that you’d expect from a forum these days. Like embedded videos, live chat, plus its a lot more user-friendly.

When are we moving across?
The plan is to move to the new forum next week, sometime from Wednesday onwards. There's a bit of work to do setting up domain names.

What will happen to the old forum?
At the same time we will lock forum.fgrfc.net You will still be able to view it, while we get used to the new one. After a couple of days we will delete it and redirect to the new site.

Can I use the same login details?
No. You will have to create a new account, unfortunately we aren’t able to transfer anything across. This is a chance to pick something new, or stick with an old favourite.

How do I join the new forum?
We’ll announce the launch properly next week, with a link to visit the new site. It will go out on social media, web and in this thread.

What does this mean for me?
This is a heads up, a chance to save anything from this forum that is important to you. Your Avatar, your first post, etc.

What about some of the important club information stored on this forum?
We’ve copied what we hope is the most important stuff already (things like the list of ambassadors over the past years, previous prediction league winners). Everything else will be permanently deleted.

If there’s something you think is worth re-publishing on the new forum, save it somewhere and or comment in this thread to let us know.

On a side note, this has got me looking through some of the oldest posts on here. Quite enjoyed reading this from 2008. :lol: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30
Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Re: UPDATE: Launching a new FGR Forum

Postby Lady Magpie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:31 pm

I was almost a spring chicken then, or a spring magpie.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Lets hope is goes better than when the FGR website was allegedly updated but ended up a lot, lot less good than what it replaced.
And it is still as bad as ever. One of the worst of any EFL website in the country.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Lets hope is goes better than when the FGR website was allegedly updated but ended up a lot, lot less good than what it replaced.
And it is still as bad as ever. One of the worst of any EFL website in the country.

Cheers OTC, your words of encouragement are most appreciated! :lol: :P

A website update is also on the cards, it's in need of some attention.
Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

FGR and Ecotricity Web Designer
Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Greeners » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi

What will happen to the old forum?
At the same time we will lock forum.fgrfc.net You will still be able to view it, while we get used to the new one. After a couple of days we will delete it and redirect to the new site.

Surely the content shouldn't be lost.
Can't it be transferred to somewhere like The WayBack Machine?
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:37 pm

So my avatar is going to be lost?
All my posts are going to be lost?
My threads are going to be lost?

WHY?
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:47 pm

NewForestRover wrote:So my avatar is going to be lost?
All my posts are going to be lost?
My threads are going to be lost?

WHY?

Your avatar can be used for the new forum.
So what's so important with old posts, they are history and you can write new ones. You are not Napoleon, Henry VIII or Queen Victoria that needs documenting into history.
Start new threads, what is the problem.

It's time to turn over to a new leaf.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:59 pm

I really wouldn't say that the FGR website is close to being the worst among clubs in the EFL, or even League Two.... It's not perfect, but it is what is, provides pretty much what is required, and at least it has more character than all those that share the same generic template....

Roll on the new place, then...
DominicH
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Head Honcho » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:04 pm

I wonder if it's worth keeping the old posts in an archive somewhere rather than just deleting it.

Sometimes I go back to previous posts from seasons ago to remember details of a match and how we reacted to it. It's useful for remembering opposition players that we might be showing an interest in, or seeing where we had certain referees who gave "interesting" decisions.

Lady Magpie's stats and records are fantastic and I'll still use those to help remember. However, it's the opinions and humour that will be lost that I'll regret. Many of the posts have been hysterical and too many to save on a personal level.

I warmly welcome a new whizzy fans forum. But please consider keeping this one as an archive, locked from new comment but still accessible, rather than totally deleting it.
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Lots of great content stretching back years on this forum, some from posters sadly no longer with us. I hope it isn't just deleted.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Onya Edson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:33 pm

I'm so surprised that the Club is happy to delete all those years of Forum content. Surely they can be archived rather than deleted? All our praise and moaning is part of the history and heritage of the club. I value the comments of the fans. Maybe the club doesn't? A lot of people have put a considerable amount of effort into making this one of the better Fan Forums.
I fully support the move to a new platform and a fresh start, but don't think we should jettison all the old contributions.
Onya Edson
Trainee
Trainee

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:34 pm

Exactly.
If you think the way forward is to start a new forum and obliterate the past?
Some of us won’t want to come with you.

I have PM’s from a poster who is no longer with us.
And I was expecting to be able to keep them forever.
Please don’t assume that all PM’s are so unimportant that they can be thrown in the bin.
Last edited by NewForestRover on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Exactly.

I would be banned if I commented on that last statement.

Can I remind some of you, this current forum isn't the original one, we had a good previous one but history and improvements move on.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:Exactly.

I would be banned if I commented on that last statement.

Can I remind some of you, this current forum isn't the original one, we had a good previous one but history and improvements move on.

LM

That's true, I remember the old (brewersnet) forum, and it's a shame that wasn't archived. However that doesn't change the fact that this forum contains a lot of great content that documents all of the clubs ups and downs over the last 12 or 13 years. Wouldn't it be a shame to lose all that?

Many posters have contributed a lot of content, including NFR who has started 3 of the most popular threads during lockdown, and for all that to be lost for good would be a shame.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:08 pm

on a more simplistic matter ,can we have some of those 'like' (and dislike ) thingy's ,to avoid peeps copying a complete previous post and then simply saying that they agree ,or putting +1
maybe a like/dislike 'thingy ' by the original post ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:28 am

So all our PM’s are going to be discarded?
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:31 am

NewForestRover wrote:So all our PM’s are going to be discarded?

Screenshot and save any you want to keep.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Simba » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:59 am

michael wrote:on a more simplistic matter ,can we have some of those 'like' (and dislike ) thingy's ,to avoid peeps copying a complete previous post and then simply saying that they agree ,or putting +1
maybe a like/dislike 'thingy ' by the original post ?

This is precisely the kind of thing you can look forward to on the new platform! Simple but effective.

Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Simba » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:17 am

newforest rover, onya, head honco and anyone else concerned about the club discarding this forum.

I totally understand that there is over a decade of conversations and opinion on here, and that some of it will be important to you, the reason this thread was started is to make sure you have time to backup anything you personally cherish on your computer. As a bare minimum.

If the club really didn't care, we'd have moved with no warning.

There are some great match reports on here, and between this move and the previous website, we're missing a lot of match info from the last 10 years.

If we keep this platform accessible online, the security threat will still be there, even if we can't post (less important, but we also need to consider the running cost of a website we aren't using). So the alternative is to save this forum on a hard drive and file it away somewhere, but then no-one will be able to see it.

A forum isn't supposed to be a historical record, it's exciting and interesting because people are talking about what's happening right now.

I'm sorry that this change can't be smoother, and as mentioned in the OP, if there is something in particular you want moved across. Let us know.

Maybe we can create an area for all the people who aren't with us anymore, like a digital memory wall. A mixture of a couple of posts from this forum and contributions from other users. Would that be of interest?

Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby chrism » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31 am

Will have to find a link to the Hitler sketch and save that one!
chrism
Reserves
Reserves

Next

Return to General Chat