UPDATE: Launching a new FGR Forum

For chat about all other topics

Re: UPDATE: Launching a new FGR Forum

Postby Simba » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
Simba wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:I have nothing against a new, secure forum. What I'm objecting to is losing everything on this one. Why couldn't this one be updated? Why can't some of the threads be moved across to the new one? Especially some of the popular ones from the General chat section.

Simba, you say work has been going on to set up the new system over the past few months, yet you are only giving us FIVE days notice!! Is that really enough time to back everything up?

I'm back at work now after having three months off. Apart from today, I'm working until next weekend when according to your post, this forum will be gone. So how am I supposed to copy and paste 100 PM's, go through 2000+ of my own posts, let alone posts from other people that I'd like to keep by this evening?
We should have been told about this during lockdown when a lot of us had plenty of time to spare.

Hi NewForestRover,

I'll try and answer your questions in order. I'm sorry that you have little to no spare time for this.

updating the forum
This forum can't be updated because it isn't supported anymore, this happens from time to time across different technology.

Moving threads across
I am trying to figure out how to do this, it isn't just copy and paste because of the data fields that need to be included (the author, date & time, comment, ID etc). Importing into the new forum 'looks' simple, exporting from this one is less so.

Working on it the new forum for months
I get it, this is a complete surprise. And whilst work on the new forum has been going on for a while now, it wasn't ready until the second week in July. It's at that point that I got involved and was asked to look at making sure we are set up correctly. And it's at that point we came to the conclusion that wholesale migration is not feasible.

Please bear in mind that the club has also been shutdown the entire time (including me). There have been two people working at the club, Henry the CEO and our Safety Officer. So communication has been minimal.

Saving content in the space of five days
I'd recommend you focus on Private messages, I don't know if any of those could even be backed up, so it's safe to assume those are most at risk.

My bold underline demonstrates where the mistake was made.

It was only after a few months of designing the new forum that you were asked to look at how to deal with content on the existing forum. Then the problem was revealed.

Had fans been informed of and asked about the plans two months ago then feedback would have revealed that keeping legacy content from the existing forum was important.

Keeping legacy content would then have been a specific outcome in the brief given to the developers. And the commissioned developers would have to have designed their method from the start to deliver the outcome.

Outcomes focussed project design is key to success. This was not done here, where it seems little thought was given to the outcomes fans want until too late.

Thanks Eco-Exile, I agree completely with what you're saying. We should have a clear understanding of the goals of a project before it's undertaken. And that means talking to all stakeholders to make sure everything has been considered.

That being said, the club has been shutdown for the past ~4 months (and for the most part continues to be for the majority of people, including myself), there hasn't been anyone to manage this from FGR's pov.

FWIW, we'll push the timeline back a little for switching off this forum. That should give users more time to backup posts etc.

We will look to turn this one off (make it inaccessible) on Thursday 6 August.

I want us on the New Forum as quickly as possible, but I'd prefer to do it with everyone on board.
Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

FGR and Ecotricity Web Designer
Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Simba » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:23 pm

Bill Shankly wrote:Please can you move over any topics that have had responses in last 7 days eg our games like word association ex fgr players etc etc

Thank you

Hi Bill,

I can certainly move the original post, moving entire threads (including all of the replies) is currently an issue but I'll add it to the list of 'things we'd like to migrate'.

Currently it is just your request and the suggestion of the Wembley final match v Tranmere.

Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bristol_Green » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:10 pm

When are we moving over then?
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:57 pm

If this forum is anything like others that I have used (and set up) then everything you see is database driven.

The post text will be kept in one table, (with a number as its reference), with a link to the poster (also number) and the thread (a number), the date of posting, possibly a record of edits, and so on. The poster, thread and other items are kept in other tables. All the tables are linked and a displayed post shows data from a number of tables.

Here is a list of tables in the software phpBB (which this runs on)
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Tables

To copy this across to another forum someone needs to delve into the tables, work out the links, then see how that translates to the new platform. Then export the data from the old tables, and import it into the new ones. It is very time consuming. The best hope would be that a developer somewhere has written an import script for the new forum, and probably an export script for the old one. Given that software like phpBB is free, it is likely that there are no such scripts!
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:When are we moving over then?

Read Simba’s excellent post above: Thursday 6th August.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:

That's when the old forum is disappearing... But when is the new one up and running for us to switch?
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

That's when the old forum is disappearing... But when is the new one up and running for us to switch?

Ah yes. I assumed it would be simultaneous but you are right, it is unclear.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:34 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

Fair point, I was 'this' close to perfection as well :P I think we'll do it gradually over a couple of days. Mostly to make sure everything is working as it should.

So we'll switch the new forum on and share a link early next week. Monday or Tuesday. (The less time spent with two platforms running at the same time, the better).

It's at that point we'll start locking this forum down so that new posts are no longer possible, but you'll still be able to visit.

And, assuming everything goes well, on Thursday 6th August we'll setup a re-direct so you simply can't access this platform anymore.

I'd expect us to announce the new forum on Thursday or Friday, once the re-direct is in place.

In the meantime, we're trying to find a way to migrate as much as possible and backup the rest.

Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:48 pm

Thank you Simba for extending the switch off for another week. Appreciate it.

I'm planning to re-start my threads from General Chat section on new forum:

Who Am I?
Word Association
Change a Letter
Top tens
What's on TV?
All Creatures Great and Small

So we can all carry on from when we have to (unfortunately) leave..........

Please keep/transfer the 'Sad news' thread by PF. It means so much to those that knew him.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:11 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:So my avatar is going to be lost?
All my posts are going to be lost?
My threads are going to be lost?

WHY?

Your avatar can be used for the new forum.
So what's so important with old posts, they are history and you can write new ones. You are not Napoleon, Henry VIII or Queen Victoria that needs documenting into history.
Start new threads, what is the problem.

It's time to turn over to a new leaf.

LM

Quite :lol:

Websites/forums/social media pages die all the time, you can't expect everything you type online to be preserved for eternity surely

Looking forward to the new forum. I think I can live with my reflections on our draw against Welling in 2015 being erased
Bronco
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:38 pm

And checkout that it is 'Safari' browser friendly Simba please ...
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:26 pm

Great that we are getting a new Forum.

Great that we are keeping the old one while we cut over. But why not keep the old forum as read only for the foreseeable future? That way we wouldn’t have to try to recall now the various threads we occasionally reference.

If the access to the old forum becomes minimal, check which of the old threads have been accessed and keep those/transfer them over and give notice that the rest is going.

Just deleting the past is a bit drastic even as we move on to a better place.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:14 am

Still trying to get a grip of new forum.
What it does need is a click button for latest/active/new posts.

Simba has worked hard in transferring much information from old to new and must be congratulated.
Well done Simba.

One minor complaint is that there are too many categories. Stuff will get put in wrong category and then get missed by the rest of us.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 am

OTC, does this one work for you?

https://forum.fgr.co.uk/new
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:OTC, does this one work for you?

I'm at a loss understanding your reply.
It is self obvious I had already perused new forum and had even stated that I had signed in.
Therefore for you to reprint same link as Simba is baffling.

My point was that on old forum is a quick link to 'active topics' which would be of benefit to new forum.
Yes there is a link within categories but not for entire forum, which is what I'm after.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:39 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:

It is self obvious I had already perused new forum and had even stated that I had signed in.

My point was that on old forum is a quick link to 'active topics' which would be of benefit to new forum.
Yes there is a link within categories but not for entire forum, which is what I'm after.

Sorry, you don't make yourself clear. What do you actually want?

The link for the new forum given is the same as the Active Topics on this one, as far as I can see?
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 pm

When you click on the categories, you can see who started each thread but not the latest posts in each one.
I'd like to see the most recent post not the name of the person who started the thread!

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:31 am

The Old TomCat wrote:

Old Tom Cat. On the new forum home page click ‘topics’ and then ‘new’ and you will see the list of new posts, like this:

Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:25 am

Thank you EE,
You've conclusively proven that mine and NFR's point in that the new site needs work.
Plenty of headings, perhaps too many but it does not show latest posts for all the categories/forums as is currently available on this site.
The programmers would have been better advised to have used current home page as the basis of development of new site.

Eco-Exile wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

Old Tom Cat. On the new forum home page click ‘topics’ and then ‘new’ and you will see the list of new posts, like this:

The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:28 am

Question to Simba and or Will:
Why are the sub-categories placed on another page?
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat