UPDATE: Launching a new FGR Forum

For chat about all other topics

Re: UPDATE: Launching a new FGR Forum

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:38 am

Request to Simba and /or Will:
Can you add quick link to FGR Website on the home page, as there currently is on this site.
It is very useful and I use it a lot.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Agree with OTC.

In the post from EE, it says ‘started by NFR’ on right hand side of category but surely it should say ‘last post by NFR’ so that I can see that nobody else has posted since I did.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:36 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Request to Simba and /or Will:
Can you add quick link to FGR Website on the home page, as there currently is on this site.
It is very useful and I use it a lot.

I'll add a small hyperlink into the welcome message at the top. However, if you click on the grey 'burger menu' in the top left (three lines next to the club badge), the bottom link is to the main website.
Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

FGR and Ecotricity Web Designer
Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:42 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Agree with OTC.

In the post from EE, it says ‘started by NFR’ on right hand side of category but surely it should say ‘last post by NFR’ so that I can see that nobody else has posted since I did.

Clicking ‘categories’ rather than ‘topics’ shows this. Image below shows that the last post in change a letter game was Greeners 3 hours ago.

Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks EE.
I had already seen that though.
It says last post was by Greeners in Change a letter game 3 hours ago but what if you had posted in the Word association game 3 and a half hours ago?
There’s no way of knowing without logging in to see notifications or trawling through all the threads to see if anyone has posted.

Everything on this forum is so quick & easy!
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:09 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Thanks EE.
I had already seen that though.
It says last post was by Greeners in Change a letter game 3 hours ago but what if you had posted in the Word association game 3 and a half hours ago?
There’s no way of knowing without logging in to see notifications or trawling through all the threads to see if anyone has posted.

Everything on this forum is so quick & easy!

I am sure we will get used to it. No need to to be negative and disruptive ;)
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 pm

I am not sure where to post this ,as if i read it correctly, i dont think the new forum has a section for comments/recommendations on the new forum,(should there be one )so i'll make a stab here .

Overall, i think i go along with a few similar comments that in one respect the old forum was better where it was divided into about 5 sections ,so you only had to go to a 'board' you had an interest in.

Now for example, the first 5/6 posts relate to pub games and quizzes .Doesn't do it for me-but appreciate it gives a lot of pleasure to others -so fine .

That given, now we are out of lockdown,season approaches and maybe some are less 'bored' , is it time for these non football quizzes to be minimally relegated down the page ,as currently, the way they are promoted at 'top of page ' and hence perceived ,is that they are the top 5//6 subjects and that football related (fgr related in particular ) is of less importance .

If an alien landed and locked at the forum, would they quickly move on and think -well that clubs supporters are more interested in games than football-i'll go elsewhere - (maybe thats true though )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:54 pm

sorry-my post above may be incorrect' as having just tried to post a new topic, there do seem to be categories -just got to find them now ,and where these categories are and listed ; as for me-currently-they all seem to merge into one list .
Operator error on my behalf i guess
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:13 am

michael wrote:sorry-my post above may be incorrect' as having just tried to post a new topic, there do seem to be categories -just got to find them now ,and where these categories are and listed ; as for me-currently-they all seem to merge into one list .
Operator error on my behalf i guess

Michael, on the main home page for the forum click the categories tab and it shows you the different boards/categories. See my image below for example:

Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:42 am

thank you
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 am

FAO Simba and/or Will,

Does the new forum have a 'unread' button?
All other forums have this button whether it be a red box [as with this forum], or a 'unread post' link button or just a click on message title.
Because I've read everything of interest to me in new forum and there are so few posts any 'unread' button is currently inactive [if there be one].

Basically I'm hoping and assuming there is a method to instantly finding the next post after last one I've read when returning to it hours or days later.
If there is, could you please advise :)
And if not, it needs to be added quick fast and as a matter of extreme urgency.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:38 am

ps to last post:
I did note that clicking the clock on title thread takes me to its last post, but that does not remedy above query.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:31 pm

@Michael

Hopefully the category view is enough to solve the issue you've mentioned.

There is a thread for comments/feedback, the name is probably not that obvious, but feel free to start a new thread if you think a topic is missing: https://forum.fgr.co.uk/post/new-vs-old ... 1312453213

@OTC Similar to above, please keep feedback/requests on the new platform (unless you are having trouble accessing it). You are more likely to get a quick response.

There is a red icon next to any category with an unread reply in them. We've made it so that unread topics are green, and topics with no new activity are grey. Hopefully it works as intended.

Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lee A » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm a mod on the phpBB support forum and can tell you that saying the FGR forum can't be updated is simply untrue.

This forum is running phpBB and the style is Metro by PixelGoose, a new version of phpBB was just released at the weekend version 3.3.1, the last update was 3.3.0 at the begining of January.

Easier to just say we want to upgrade to a new forum software rather than say it can't be updated.

The new software isn't bad but I personally would have gone for Xenforo or Invision Community... there is a reason why if you look at Premier League, Championship and League One forums the majority are Xenforo and Invision.

Those platforms have more features than phpBB but everyrhing is easy to find and the responsive aspect is very good, lets hope that everyone can get used to the new platform and that they don't head over to TapaTalk Groups and open an independent forum a la Leyton Ortient.
Lee A
Trainee
Trainee

Postby michael » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:27 pm

if i didn't know better, i would think the last paragraph is almost an invitation !

tell people they can't /shouldn't do something-and thats exactly what they will do !!
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foreign Green » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:45 pm

I´m far from a diginative, but somehow I´ve managed to subscribe and use different forums and social media for years.
Now tried to subscribe to the new forum, but something went wrong - and I don´t think I was the worst culprit (if a culprit at all).

So I´m forced to think, if I should quit the whole forum after eight years. Maybe starting to be an occasional reader.
Foreign Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Foreign Green wrote:I´m far from a diginative, but somehow I´ve managed to subscribe and use different forums and social media for years.
Now tried to subscribe to the new forum, but something went wrong - and I don´t think I was the worst culprit (if a culprit at all).

So I´m forced to think, if I should quit the whole forum after eight years. Maybe starting to be an occasional reader.

What went wrong?

I hope you don't quit, the more fans opinion the better/more interesting the forum is.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Lee A wrote:I'm a mod on the phpBB support forum and can tell you that saying the FGR forum can't be updated is simply untrue.

This forum is running phpBB and the style is Metro by PixelGoose, a new version of phpBB was just released at the weekend version 3.3.1, the last update was 3.3.0 at the begining of January.

Easier to just say we want to upgrade to a new forum software rather than say it can't be updated.

The new software isn't bad but I personally would have gone for Xenforo or Invision Community... there is a reason why if you look at Premier League, Championship and League One forums the majority are Xenforo and Invision.

Those platforms have more features than phpBB but everyrhing is easy to find and the responsive aspect is very good, lets hope that everyone can get used to the new platform and that they don't head over to TapaTalk Groups and open an independent forum a la Leyton Ortient.

Hi Lee A,

Thanks for your reply. Hypothetically speaking yes, this forum could be updated. However we are unable to and have been unable to for some time.

I might take a look at Cenforo and Invision, they sound interesting. Thanks for the info.

Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to General Chat