Club Shop Updates

For chat about all other topics

Re: Club Shop Updates

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Supporters club/Club shop/travel.

Go on line via shop for Newport TRAVEL ticket, asks if you are Home or away supporter, shows a green rectangle, asks where you would like to sit ... this appears to be tickets for the GAME. A link below shows away travel, click and it takes you back to the Start again!!! :?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby bigdavethemaddog » Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 pm

does anybody know if the club shop sell flags?
bigdavethemaddog
Trainee
Trainee

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:48 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:does anybody know if the club shop sell flags?

I’ve been on tenterhooks for the last 6 MONTHS!!!

Can’t anyone help Bigdavethemaddog with his flag enquiry?!!

(PS. They don’t sell flags).
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 am

I am really angry about the new 1889 range. To use a Newcastle company who know nothing about us, who use overseas artists when we have a town full of artists is not good.

Also the imagery looks like gang imagery depicting daggers in a society where knife crime is rife. This is hardly in line with the club ethos, surely?

Plus, the lion logo is a ringer for the Britain First logo.

A terrible idea in my opinion.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:54 am

Hi
Why would any fan care to wear such things?
The important thing about merchandise is that it should use the same images and fonts as the teams kit.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 am

It'snot just that, it's also the message it sends out.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:36 pm

I have to agree VBM. I don’t think that the designs reflect the family-friendly image of FGR. I also don’t think they look particularly good - but then I’ve never really been a fan of clothes with overly fussy images on them.

I’d be surprised if they sell well. Merchandise is one area where I think FGR need a bit of help.
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRWill » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear you don't like it. We've sold hundreds of items since we launched on Friday - going around the world and reaching a global base outside of Stroud.

We also got a plug in the EFL show on Quest last night. Hopefully Colin Murray will be modelling it next week.

If you like more traditional merchandise, it's coming. But we are really, really happy with the 1889 range and will be doing plenty more products to take our message worldwide.
Last edited by FGRWill on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:56 pm

I think I read it is supposed to appeal to people of all ages? Whilst it might to the absolute minority of older folks, overall I'd say no.

Looks to be aiming at the younger generation and apart from a dagger through a football - which for some reason brings Millwall to mind - I'd say it possibly succeeds.

However, what stands out for me is the striking simplicity and typeface of the 1889. Less is more - except when it comes to goals :o

Didn't notice much evidence of the club badge tho' :cry:
paulK
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 pm

TreeHugger wrote:I have to agree VBM. I don’t think that the designs reflect the family-friendly image of FGR. I also don’t think they look particularly good - but then I’ve never really been a fan of clothes with overly fussy images on them.

I’d be surprised if they sell well. Merchandise is one area where I think FGR need a bit of help.

Shows what you know really!
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:08 pm

paulK wrote:
Looks to be aiming at the younger generation and apart from a dagger through a football - which for some reason brings Millwall to mind - I'd say it possibly succeeds.

For some reason?

What reason?
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 pm

I don't particularly like the 1889 range either.

Why can't we have the usual items in green and black (t-shirts, sweatshirts, waterproof jackets (which I really want!), scarves, hats, gloves, flags, keyrings, badges, mugs, pens, curtains, bed linen, jackets for dogs! etc. etc.

Surely fans will buy them?
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:I have to agree VBM. I don’t think that the designs reflect the family-friendly image of FGR. I also don’t think they look particularly good - but then I’ve never really been a fan of clothes with overly fussy images on them.

Shows what you know really!

Does it?

A member of staff saying that they’re selling well doesn’t exactly rule out all validity of my point. How do you know that an alternative range wouldn’t be selling better? Where’s your benchmark?
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRWill » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 am

TreeHugger wrote:
A member of staff saying that they’re selling well doesn’t exactly rule out all validity of my point. How do you know that an alternative range wouldn’t be selling better? Where’s your benchmark?

Ok - so where to start with this statement? My benchmark is five years of historic sales data - both online and in physical retail - we've had an incredibly strong start to this launch.

We're working on rapidly developing our retail lines - more of the traditional stuff we've all come to expect from a football club will be coming soon, but we've had media coverage at home and overseas for this launch - something teams in our league don't get when launching merchandise outside of their replica kits.

Also - we're now shipping products to fans in 30 countries - another example of how we're building our fanbase and engaging with those who may previously only have heard of the Premier League or Championship.

We work closely with a number of local suppliers to make and fulfil our products - including the incredible Batemans, so money into FGR means money into the wider Stroud District too.

If you don't like it - that's ok, but the online tills are ringing right now, and it's Monday morning - not a peak time in football retail.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Thanks Will. My reply wasn’t actually directed at you, but I appreciate the information.

Whether I like it or not isn’t really the point (although I don’t). Some will like it, others won’t. My comments were in response to others who don’t.

My benchmark comment still stands. You can’t possibly know whether or not it’s successful because you can’t possibly know how well an alternative would have sold. My feeling is that a different design could have sold better than this particular range, but others will surely proffer an alternative opinion. I guess if it sells out then that’s another interpretation of success. Likewise if it generates media coverage further afield. For me, I’d want to see it widely worn around the stadium on match day, or around the local area to really indicate success. Only time will tell if this is the case.

It’s just MY opinion. Not indisputable fact.

Glad to hear the club are doing well out of it.
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
paulK wrote:

For some reason?

What reason?

I guess you must be of a younger generation. Millwall ultras gained notoriety as probably the worst of examples of football hooliganism and violence.
paulK
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:25 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
My benchmark comment still stands. You can’t possibly know whether or not it’s successful because you can’t possibly know how well an alternative would have sold.

Some validity to your comment TreeHugger. Number 1 rule in marketing: split-test.

Despite what was written by Will, I don't see any clear definition of the "tight" market segment these were designed for. Leading me to wonder.

However, from the comments and designs I get the feeling this is not aimed at the local fans in particular, but to spread the word of FGR (and hence, in line with company objectives "eco") and also to attract new (younger generation?) fans through the designs.

I guess there was a need to prioritise this over the more traditional stuff given recent publicity and I guess there is a marketing strategy in there somewhere.

I have to admit tho', whilst hardly being of the younger generation, I'm quite tempted by the 1889 and "Devil" T-shirts.
paulK
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Will.

You can't judge everything on how well it sells. I'm sure that milk would be back on the agenda if so.

My actual point of this is:-

Is it right to display glorifying images of daggers in a high knife-crime society?

Would it not have been more ethical to source a designer in the Stroud area?

Is it not a bit dodgy that the Lion looks really similar to the Britain First logo?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm

paulK wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:
paulK wrote:

For some reason?

What reason?

I guess you must be of a younger generation. Millwall ultras gained notoriety as probably the worst of examples of football hooliganism and violence.

I was actually being sarcastic! There isn't a reason.
Millwall definitely doesn't come into my mind when seeing a dagger through a football.

No, I'm not of a younger generation and remember the 70's and 80's but it's nowhere near as bad now.

It's my nearest club and has a minority of trouble makers like most other clubs do. The majority are peaceful.

I took my daughter to watch matches there regularly for years when she was school age and we only stopped going because she eventually lost interest. In all that time we never saw any trouble. If anything, the away fans were worse because they always made a point of trying to wind up the Millwall fans just to get a reaction.
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby FGRWill » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:27 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Hi Will.

You can't judge everything on how well it sells. I'm sure that milk would be back on the agenda if so.

My actual point of this is:-

Is it right to display glorifying images of daggers in a high knife-crime society?

Would it not have been more ethical to source a designer in the Stroud area?

Is it not a bit dodgy that the Lion looks really similar to the Britain First logo?

In response to your questions:

1) Nothing about this 'glorifies' the use of knives in anyway. We all use them to chop our veg.
2) Email is a pretty easy way to communicate with people these days - so it's not like the designer flew in from Sydney to finalise it. We worked with at least four Stroud based businesses in this process to create the range. Therefore, it's pretty ethical by anybody's definition.
3) Does anything with a lion remind you of Britain First? I feel sorry for lions if you think they are all members of that group.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat