ex-FGR players...

For chat about all other topics

Re: ex-FGR players...

Postby Tommo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 am

michael wrote:I love the way Tommo and many of us now write-'at that level' ,which is of course perfectly true , whereas under 3 months ago we were at 'that' level ,and indeed could so easily still be writing 'at this level

:D
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Good article in the NLP on Sunday from Mark Beesley. He says (quite rightly in my opinion) that his best manager was Jim Harvey whose coaching skills were way ahead of his time.

He also makes the point that it's a shame the squad broke up. Good luck in management Mark.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 pm

Timb wrote:Good article in the NLP on Sunday from Mark Beesley. He says (quite rightly in my opinion) that his best manager was Jim Harvey whose coaching skills were way ahead of his time.

He also makes the point that it's a shame the squad broke up. Good luck in management Mark.

Great player, very intelligent and played so many astute passes. His partnership with Stuart Fleetwood was the best I've seen at FGR. And I agree it's a shame that squad broke up, if we could have kept them all together and added a bit more depth then I think that team could have got us promoted.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 pm

Agreed. If SF had gone to Crewe as planned the money would have been in the bank in January. Instead we sold Mark to Cambridge and no big money in the bank. And SF's foil was gone and not replaced. The other way round and keep Mark to feed the new striker and things would probably have been very different. And then downhill from that point on. Hind Sight.

Fine Lines.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 am

What if, what if ...

Arguably, it was Mark Beesley who's intelligent diagonal passes on the deck made Fleetwood the star he was for FGR. Once Mark left, the ploy was 'ball over the top' and Fleetwood's goals all but dried up. So, did JH really understand how to get the best from Fleets or was it a fortuitous chemistry between Fleets and MB. Judging by what happened to Fleetwood after he left, I tend to the latter view. But then the best coaches in the world need a chunk of luck

Sadly, injuries blighted Beesley's career, so fair to say we probably saw the best of him at FGR
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:19 am

Beesley was one of our best players ever and I'm sure it was him who made Fleetwood tick. Unfortunately he got huge amounts of stick from the fans at the time - it was embarrassing and worse even the vitriol CC had to endure last season. Good luck to him in management
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Mark Beesley said what I said above, Jim Harvey was the best manager-coach he has ever played under.

So I guess Mark attributes the partnership with SF to Jim Harvey's coaching rather than luck. I believe him.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Fabio Robert has signed for a French team, can't remember who.

Perhaps he'll get some games now.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:05 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Fabio Robert has signed for a French team, can't remember who.

Perhaps he'll get some games now.

How's that not a news item from FGR?!
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:20 pm

He's been released, so presumably they're not interested in him anymore.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:He's been released, so presumably they're not interested in him anymore.

I thought he was under contract but told he wasn't needed. I didn't see he was released?
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Greeners » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi
From the Scotsman
Motherwell left it late before Elliott Frear sealed their place among the Betfred Cup second-round seeds by securing a 1-0 victory over Berwick.
Frear had set up a host of chances before showing his team-mates the way to goal in the 82nd minute when he knocked home from 12 yards after visiting goalkeeper Robby McCrorie had palmed out Chris Cadden’s cross.

He's scored 2 in 4 games but also seems to be a prolific assist, and he only came on as a 5th min sub for a defender (rearranging the team).
I'm guessing he was on the bench because the team had already won their group
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:06 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
From the Scotsman
Motherwell left it late before Elliott Frear sealed their place among the Betfred Cup second-round seeds by securing a 1-0 victory over Berwick.
Frear had set up a host of chances before showing his team-mates the way to goal in the 82nd minute when he knocked home from 12 yards after visiting goalkeeper Robby McCrorie had palmed out Chris Cadden’s cross.

He's scored 2 in 4 games but also seems to be a prolific assist, and he only came on as a 5th min sub for a defender (rearranging the team).
I'm guessing he was on the bench because the team had already won their group

Love the bloke. I miss him tearing up the wing at TNL. I'm so pleased it's worked out for him.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 pm

James Rowe has joined Aldershot on a 2 year deal
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:26 pm

James Rowe joins Aldershot on a 1-year deal.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Fabio Robert to PSG as a foil for Neymar?
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Jamie Turley goes on a season's loan from Newport to Boreham Wood. I have fond memories of Jamie charging up the right side!
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Main Stander » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:35 pm

stanman wrote:Jamie Turley goes on a season's loan from Newport to Boreham Wood. I have fond memories of Jamie charging up the right side!

Worked out well then :lol:, Always have a little smile to myself when this sort of thing happens, equally im always pleased when things work out for players that leave us and do well.
Main Stander
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:46 am

Makes me smile when I think of Eddie and Jamie as our central defenders.

Both could defend and loved attacking. But the longer a game went on, the more they seemed to prefer the attacking bit more and the defending bit less. Chatting to Eddie once he laughed that he got bored defending! Great to see him at a match at Weston last year - wonderful character
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Game Within » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:02 pm

See Darren Carter has been made club captain.
The Game Within
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat