ex-FGR players and managers...

For chat about all other topics

Re: ex-FGR players...

Postby biggazza » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:58 pm

James Alibi who played briefly on loan for us from Stoke has joined Grimsby on loan from Ipswich. Didn't set the New Lawn on fire
biggazza
First Team
First Team

Postby TheFarmcotian » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Cannot go through all of the posts but appropriate today my favourite FGR player Paul Stonehouse - now at Oxford City. He is still only 28 and we got rid of him far too soon. Wholehearted player who always gave 100 per cent and always had time for the fans. Still miss him and would it be great to see him in the crowd next Sunday. They are third in Conf South so just maybe we could see him at TNL next year if we don't make it.
Time is but an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.
TheFarmcotian
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 pm

One of my least favourite players-nice guy i am sure -but as a player-never conference standard.

struggles to make the Oxford City team these days (whats he got to do with Oxford United ?)
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:49 pm

"my favourite FGR player Paul Stonehouse - now at Oxford City. He is still only 28 and we got rid of him far too soon. Wholehearted player who always gave 100 per cent and always had time for the fans."

As I understand it. FGR never got rid of Paul Stonehouse. He was offered a contract but turned it down, so he could move to Mansfield Town. I also think Mark Preece went at the same time.. He played a few times for Mansfield but only lasted a season I think.
I'm sure that he is a decent bloke, I think he lived in Swindon when at FGR but I have to admit I agree with Micheal. Often exposed by the opposition, certain games live long. I remember Altrincham took advantage and beat us 3 - 1 at home, most goals coming down the left side.
Regardless, he would receive a warm welcome if he returned with another team.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Les Afful scored for Truro last week. Probably not a header. :?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Stoney was one of my favourite players too and, in my opinion, the best crosser of a ball in a Rovers team until the arrival of Elliott Frear. If you look at Stoney, Stokes, Kelly and JJ, all of them were or are attack minded and liked to venture forwards, true that we have been left a little exposed at times due to their expeditionary character, but all have provided entertainment and a goal or two. Long may the tradition of the attacking left wing-back continue!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby TheFarmcotian » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Totally agree Foggy. You don't have to be the best player but be wholehearted, always give everything to the team. Favourite players don't have to be the best. Take Conal Platt, in the same side. I thought he was super. True he mucked things up a lot, was totally left footed (I seem to recall we played him on the right!) but he had some fantastic skills.

But don't get me started on Wayne Turk!
Time is but an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.
TheFarmcotian
First Team
First Team

Postby twoguns » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Matt Taylor bags a hatrick tonight. Quality, perhaps the next Vardy?
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 pm

twoguns wrote:Matt Taylor bags a hatrick tonight. Quality, perhaps the next Vardy?

Certainly showing his class at the moment. He had some of the best close control I've ever seen at FGR.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34431703
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:48 pm

AP has signed some good players but he made his mind up about Matty too quickly. He was a great signing and we rather wasted his last season with us. I would have loved to have seen him alongside Parkin on a regular basis
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRbenz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:22 am

Was up there last night. Matty was a different class, but it took Billy Bodin to come on to kick them into gear, well worked first free kick laid off to Matty and he struck it into the top corner. Second one, lovely little quick free kick took the moaning Wycombe defence by surprise and he hit it from just inside the box, third lovely ball over the top and Matty turned and shot from 6 yards.

Same old story though, why couldn't he do that with us? :roll:
FGRbenz
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-RJS » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 am

twoguns wrote:Matt Taylor bags a hatrick tonight. Quality, perhaps the next Vardy?

Don't hold your breathe.
FGR-RJS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Eddie Oshodi has joined St.Albans - only won 4 out of 18 and next to bottom in Conference South
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:49 pm

FGRbenz wrote:Was up there last night. Matty was a different class, but it took Billy Bodin to come on to kick them into gear, well worked first free kick laid off to Matty and he struck it into the top corner. Second one, lovely little quick free kick took the moaning Wycombe defence by surprise and he hit it from just inside the box, third lovely ball over the top and Matty turned and shot from 6 yards.

Same old story though, why couldn't he do that with us? :roll:

He did. Twice, I believe. H...?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:08 am

There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:14 am

I love Eddie O to bits, but if St Albans want "stability", then he may not be their man! :lol:
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Stoksie acknowledges how far he has come in the last year

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/ ... B-Cov-ccfc
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:22 am

is that the first time it has been proclaimed in public that there 'was a fall out with the manager'

that given-we do not know what the fall out was about-and to be fair-the manager could have been right
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:56 pm

We discuss it for 20 minutes, then decide I was right ... Brian Clough discussing player problems.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby biggazza » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:29 am

Although he only played 4 times for FGR (scoring once) back in 2006, a tricky Irish winger called Jonny Hayes came on loan from Reading and became an instant hit. I noticed he had scored for Aberdeen on Saturday, and after researching on Wiki discovered he has played over 100 times for the Dons. Oh what might have been!!
biggazza
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat