ex-FGR players and managers...

For chat about all other topics

Pennock leaves Gillingham...

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm

By 'mutual consent' reportedly...Gillingham having won just six of his 32 games in charge since January. Jamie Day has also departed.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: ex-FGR players and managers...

Postby Tommo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 am

Shame for Pennock that he went and spoiled his rep at Gillingham but really, no surprise he has gone. Maybe he is a nice bloke but he is a very limited football manager
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 am

Is that the same Mr Pennock who took FGR to their highest ever conference position ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:27 pm

I see a certain Mark Ellis has joined L Orient on a 2 month loan.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:14 pm

gooseman wrote:I see a certain Mark Ellis has joined L Orient on a 2 month loan.

I still can't believe we turned down the chance to sign him. Good luck to him.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby man_of_kent » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 pm

michael wrote:Is that the same Mr Pennock who took FGR to their highest ever conference position ?

Oh michael dont be silly and start using facts :D
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:04 pm

camel wrote:
gooseman wrote:I see a certain Mark Ellis has joined L Orient on a 2 month loan.

I still can't believe we turned down the chance to sign him. Good luck to him.

I didn't think we had, as i recall MC said a few times he would like to sign him but he was Carlisles player with another year on his contract so he couldn't approach him.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Tommo wrote:Shame for Pennock that he went and spoiled his rep at Gillingham but really, no surprise he has gone. Maybe he is a nice bloke but he is a very limited football manager

Was not a massive fan of his hoof ball, however would probably rather have him than Cooper at the moment.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
Tommo wrote:Shame for Pennock that he went and spoiled his rep at Gillingham but really, no surprise he has gone. Maybe he is a nice bloke but he is a very limited football manager

Was not a massive fan of his hoof ball, however would probably rather have him than Cooper at the moment.

You're having a laugh aren't you? Did you watch Gillingham under him, or hear what their fans think of him? And that's despite having been a legend round these parts. Most Gills fans think he'd be better suited going back to the window cleaning business, completely out of his depth as a football league manager.

It got to the point that even Josh Wright's (Gills captain and player of the year) brother Mark Wright (of TOWIE fame) felt the need to come out and publicly declare him one of the worst managers he's ever seen.

At Gills he played terrible football, fell out with most of the best players, replaced them with dross and had an 18.65% win percentage. They went from outside bet for the play offs to staying up by the skin of their teeth and look nailed on for relegation this season.

Was proven completely out of his depth once he didn't have a massive budget.

I get you don't rate Cooper, but compared to the stuff Gills have played this season FGR look half decent.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:

You're having a laugh aren't you? Did you watch Gillingham under him, or hear what their fans think of him? And that's despite having been a legend round these parts. Most Gills fans think he'd be better suited going back to the window cleaning business, completely out of his depth as a football league manager.

It got to the point that even Josh Wright's (Gills captain and player of the year) brother Mark Wright (of TOWIE fame) felt the need to come out and publicly declare him one of the worst managers he's ever seen.

At Gills he played terrible football, fell out with most of the best players, replaced them with dross and had an 18.65% win percentage. They went from outside bet for the play offs to staying up by the skin of their teeth and look nailed on for relegation this season.

Was proven completely out of his depth once he didn't have a massive budget.

I get you don't rate Cooper, but compared to the stuff Gills have played this season FGR look half decent.

Sadly Kentstripe if you replace the name Pennock with Cooper and Gillingham with FGR that would sound about right for a lot of people this season. Glass houses and all that.

I reckon we would have won the league under Pennock if he had had one of either Doidge or Noble in his final season. To rip in to his management abilities also only highlights Cooper must have under achieved by finishing lower with a better squad than Pennock.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:17 pm

You really had to have watched Gillingham Camel.

Cooper completely overhauled the squad here, because one of the prerequisites of his appointment was to change our playing style. I know that as a fact.

AP's style of football was a major factor in his dismissal, as was our plunging form. Very few of our players were sad to see him go. To have won the league last season he would have needed to get them back on side, or replace most of them, as by all accounts he had lost the dressing room. Noble would never have signed for us under Pennock, nor would Traore. Doubt Doidge would have done either.

Last season under Cooper would under most circumstances have been a transitional one, to make such big changes and still get promoted was an excellent achievement imo.

I agree this season has been poor though.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 pm

I meant in Pennocks last season with us, rather than last season. Agreed I think it would have been hard to get players back on board if he had stayed judging from how things seemed to go once we lost touch with Cheltenham. But if he had had a Doidge esque forward I think we wouldn't have lost touch and could have won the league. Wishful thinking maybe.

Football is a funny game really. You only have to look at Tranmere and Micky Mellon from last season to now. Generally my view is that consistency and keeping the same manager is better in the long run and I imagine they will be there or thereabouts come season end. It's why I find my current feeling of concern about Cooper being given too long a bit hard to swallow.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Theoperator » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:55 am

Camel, agree it really is a funny game- I never rated Paul Hurst, and Im pretty sure he would have been sacked if Grimsby hadnt won at Wembley. :evil: Hurst takes over from Mellon at Shrews on the basis at least from that promotion, and now look where Shrewsbury is- I really would never have thought it possible under Hursts management
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby stanman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Norwood goals - 2013-2017.
You may recall some of these - especially from 5 mins on in this compilation:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEc2-rDNdBk

So once upon a time we did seem to score a few. ;)
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Lawn Rangers » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 am

Mark Ellis goes out on a 2 month loan to Leyton Orient. Maybe we could get him back on loan in January along with Pinnock.
The Lawn Rangers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby andymac26 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Marcus K scores for Wrexham.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:44 pm

...and Elliott scores for motherwell.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi
andymac26 wrote:...and Elliott scores for motherwell.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Match Report.
Elliot Frear, who had replaced Moult, tried his luck from a wide left area, but Cerny did well to turn the ball round the post.
But from the resultant corner kick, Thistle struggled to clear their lines and Bowman took full advantage to shoot high into the net from eight yards.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Just seen on Goal Rush Curtis Tilt making a right hash of a simple header to gift Southend a goal against Blackpool
Last edited by Bronco on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby andymac26 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
andymac26 wrote:...and Elliott scores for motherwell.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Match Report.
Elliot Frear, who had replaced Moult, tried his luck from a wide left area, but Cerny did well to turn the ball round the post.
But from the resultant corner kick, Thistle struggled to clear their lines and Bowman took full advantage to shoot high into the net from eight yards.

Had elliott as scorer on the box - was going on that at the time.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat