Vegan food and carbon footprint

For chat about all other topics

Re: Vegan food and carbon footprint

Postby Chrisgump11 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:26 am

The Grauniad has done 2 articles on FGR of late. One was a bit 'sniffy' as it featured a scornful take by more hard core vegans who regard veganism to support better sporting performance as not the right ethic. I thought it came over as 'holier than thou' veganism

Change does not happen overnight, and we all have our reasons for eating more/less meat, dairy products and so on. In fairness to Dale Vince, the menu on offer at FGR has opened a lot of eyes and stimulated discussion. My family and I are more likely to consider being properly vegan as a result of FGR's stance than by being hectored by an uncompromising viewpoint. Why shouldn't eating healthily drive veganism as much as animal welfare or ecology?

As usual, this Forum touches on topics in an informed way that rarely crop up on other football fans forums
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Cotswold farmer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 am

Im a smallish livestock farmer mainly sheep, This club needs to stick to football not dictating what people can or cannot eat on a visit I do not need a nanny I bring my own sandwiches and flask which the peaked capped/clip board brigade don't like but I get it in. Im an omnivore and my sheep do a good job keeping the Cotswolds looking well and keeping good habitats for flora and fawna farmers in other areas like the lake district were the Herdwick sheep farmed by the fell farmers do such a good job preserving the area and my home county of Cornwall proper job.
Ive read a lot of misinformed drivel on here at times from people who I can only guess at have never farmed or been involved in farming or the real countryside in their lives.
This clubs PR to the farmers and real country people around here is abysmal the club has done a damn good job of alienating them and loosing any chance of their support through the turnstiles or through sponsorship which to Dale Vince might be acceptable but in the long haul this club needs the support of the whole community? I like Mr Vince am a self made man come from nothing except im from West Cornwall hes from Norfolk down home Cornwall has the biggest support of a county rugby side anywhere in the UK. Its done it by the love and pride of our county and uniting the support can you imagine it NO pasties on sale at Redruth, Cambourne or Penzance unless vegan ?
Its fine if Mr Vince wants to be a vegan I frankly couldn't give a monkeys none of my business but don't dictate " nanny knows best" give people a choice the club really needs to have a look at its PR and can afford to alienate so many people instead of encouraging them?
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby Timb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:36 am

The whole "Being dictated to" argument is clap trap quite frankly CF.

My brother came down from Aberdeen for the game last night and he's definitely a countryfile omnivore. Likes nothing more than to shoot things and eat them. He was sniffy as usual last night about the food but was hungry so tried it. And then couldn't shut up about how good it actually was.

You're not being dictated to, you're being offered good quality food but with a difference that you seem to get the hump about.

Enjoy your bacon sandwich.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Cotswold farmer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 am

I bring egg and cress sandwiches produced from my own hens, and we bake our bread with flour from a local mill the only bacon I have comes from my own pigs and I only eat it at home. My food is on the whole is home produced and in my opinion is as good as if not better and has better carbon footprint and is top class.
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby Cotswold farmer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:53 am

I suggest Tomb you think before you write your patronizing comments you didn't ask what I eat and didn't answer the question about freedom of choice ? do you work for the North Korean press association by any chance?
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:47 am

You're NOT dictated to what you eat, you don't have to eat what is supplied and can bring your own supply, you won't be search at the turnstiles umless you are trying to bring in smoke bombs etc.

If you had a relative who was vegan, would you tell them they have to change their food when you visit, no you take what is offered or don't visit. I'm a complete meat eater, I can survive for the couple of hours during my visit.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Dale Vince isn't prescribing to you what to eat but you are trying to dictate what he serves.

You are welcome to bring meat / dairy and Dale has said so himself.

If you hold the belief that the meat and dairy farming processes are unethical (whether animal cruelty, environmental, food famine/poverty or health reasons etc) then why should you be forced to abandon your own belief system just because someone feels that they cannot go without meat for 90mins or bring your own food or eat before?

I am vegan and in my family there are dairy farmers, so I can talk with understanding. To presume that people on here don't have first hand experience is rather naive.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm

I am not a vegan but love the food served, and look forward to eating at the NL. Bit surprised to be served vegan cloudy cider, but it was lovely, but a bit strong after 4 pints !!!!.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:50 am

Interesting to read in the football league paper this morning that Chris Lines at The Gas puts his longevity in his football career to turning his back on meat a couple of years ago for health and fitness reasons. After being recommended it by friends in football.

He gets stick for refusing to eat the chili with the rest of the squad etc etc etc.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Lewis Hamilton has recently gone vegan apparently. The likes of Jermain Defoe and David Haye are too. On our TV game the other night, it was mentioned that Dale Bennett and Charlie Cooper are both vegan, and one of the pundits Keith Andrews said that he himself had gone vegan, and wished he had done earlier in his career as he felt sharper and fitter then ever.

Seems that more and more athletes are deciding that their nutrition, and in some cases specifically veganism can help give them an edge.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:35 pm

camel wrote:Dale Vince isn't prescribing to you what to eat but you are trying to dictate what he serves.

You are welcome to bring meat / dairy and Dale has said so himself.

If you hold the belief that the meat and dairy farming processes are unethical (whether animal cruelty, environmental, food famine/poverty or health reasons etc) then why should you be forced to abandon your own belief system just because someone feels that they cannot go without meat for 90mins or bring your own food or eat before?

I am vegan and in my family there are dairy farmers, so I can talk with understanding. To presume that people on here don't have first hand experience is rather naive.

Camel, I've been vegetarian for years (vegan for three years until I fell ill due to unrelated issues) and have worked in farming related businesses in the past. I'm always amazed at how so many livestock farmers get upset by the idea someone can live without eating animals. It was always a guaranteed route to a wind-up.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Good luck with your farming interest CF. You seem better suited to that than objective analysis of FGR's policy on food

FGR advances its case for veganism, leading by example and with a superb menu. It places no restrictions on people bringing what they like to the stadium, simply will not sell other than vegan produce. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian but FGR's fayre is changing my habits through good argument and cracking food. Athletes are following suit too and visiting fans and media are drawing similar positive conclusions

It wasn't vegans that fed meat to herbivores and caused mad cow disease, or forced egg production from battery chicken farms, nor factory farming of cattle and pigs and other poor examples of animal husbandry. Nor do vegans gas badgers or endanger bees by destruction of the natural, diverse environment.

I respect the standards you aspire to, and wish you well in their advancement. But you'd do as well to reciprocate by respecting 'another way'.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:27 pm

king giraffe III wrote:I'm always amazed at how so many livestock farmers get upset by the idea someone can live without eating animals. It was always a guaranteed route to a wind-up.

Why are you amazed? It's their livelihoods at stake (or should that be steak)?

Of course they wont like it.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:I'm always amazed at how so many livestock farmers get upset by the idea someone can live without eating animals. It was always a guaranteed route to a wind-up.

Why are you amazed? It's their livelihoods at stake (or should that be steak)?

Of course they wont like it.

In my experience they don't tend to like anything.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:05 am

A lot of meat eaters don't even think about what they're eating and the cruelty involved. Some don't want to think about it because they can't imagine life without a bacon sandwich.

When you tell them, be prepared for a massive argument.

It's usually down to guilt. Deep down they know you're right but will never admit it due to their meat addiction.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to General Chat