Eco Park

For chat about all other topics

Re: Eco Park

Postby Foggy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 pm

My biggest concern since we have effectively become a division of Ecotricity was what would happen if that company decided to pull out of football, wished to dispose of us by sale or in an extreme case was bought out by another company or went bankrupt.

This may seem a little dramatic but in the 1990's an individual called Bill Archer bought a stake in Brighton and Hove Albion for the princely sum of £56.25, this effectively gave him control of the club and its assets. In 1997 he sold the ground for redevelopment and left the club homeless, despite some pretty grand plans to build a ground elsewhere. This consigned them to play in exile at Gillingham for two seasons until a move to the Withdean Stadium back in Brighton and a long wait for Falmer Stadium to be built.

It has always been my concern that Rovers could end up in the same boat as Brighton, with all their assets held by one individual or company who could do with them as they wished. Clearly we would be fine if the new ground, or indeed this one, could be separated from Ecotricity and held in some form of trust whereby the football club would always be guaranteed a home. This may have already happened and we might not have anything to worry about, but with the risk of returning to non-league football I am more than a little concerned for our future.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Theoperator » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Similar other stories abound Foggy- Rushden & Diamonds springs to mind. Completely agree its looking even more concerning.

To move grounds because of car parking and traffic problems would be the ultimate non eco move. Perhaps DV could be more creative and enhance/ develop the bus transfers from Nympsfied and Nailsworth, possibly allowing resident only access :? .

The traffic at the new stadium would quite possibly be worse with a very sizeable and dangerous queue at J13, possibly from both directions.

All events create traffic, Im not aware of people arriving late due to this, happens often at some clubs, even ones who have just moved
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:29 pm

The Game Within wrote:For me it should move if the club wants to grow, it can't at FG there's just no where else to park when we have a big game with over 2500 I feel sorry for the locals who can't get in or out of there homes. Another reason all the facilities for all the youth set up and the ladies all on one site.

If the ground moves, the plan is to replace it with housing. This will have a very significant effect on traffic every morning and evening.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby King George » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:15 am

Foggy wrote:My biggest concern since we have effectively become a division of Ecotricity was what would happen if that company decided to pull out of football, wished to dispose of us by sale or in an extreme case was bought out by another company or went bankrupt.

This may seem a little dramatic but in the 1990's an individual called Bill Archer bought a stake in Brighton and Hove Albion for the princely sum of £56.25, this effectively gave him control of the club and its assets. In 1997 he sold the ground for redevelopment and left the club homeless, despite some pretty grand plans to build a ground elsewhere. This consigned them to play in exile at Gillingham for two seasons until a move to the Withdean Stadium back in Brighton and a long wait for Falmer Stadium to be built.

It has always been my concern that Rovers could end up in the same boat as Brighton, with all their assets held by one individual or company who could do with them as they wished. Clearly we would be fine if the new ground, or indeed this one, could be separated from Ecotricity and held in some form of trust whereby the football club would always be guaranteed a home. This may have already happened and we might not have anything to worry about, but with the risk of returning to non-league football I am more than a little concerned for our future.

I hear what your saying, as I'm now an excile for many a season for various reasons (occasionally travel to away games) what happened to Brighton was awful and their not the only ones, Hereford most recently! My personal opinion is it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, start again in Hellenic have it very fan base and community and orrientated (which it always was before) and go through the leagues again. Would just need the backing from us fans! Cause let's be honest about this.. although FGR are still their in name it's just an Eco company team? We're unreconizable from our early conference days and so on.
King George
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Stay where we are !.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:23 pm

SDC/GDC planners:

"6,000 tiny box starter homes on Dale Vince's Eastington proposal that we couldn't handle? No problem. Pass the rubber stamp and we'll worry about the traffic after they are built." :( :( :( !
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to General Chat