John "Whacker" Porter

For chat about all other topics

John "Whacker" Porter

Postby cookiesos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 pm

I am sure that by now most people in Nailsworth have heard of the passing of Whacker Porter last Tuesday at his home in Park Road.
His widow, Joy, has asked me to invite as many old friends and colleagues of John to a service of remembrance at St.Georges church
on Tuesday 24th of October at 2.30pm
Whacker played football to a high standard with Forest Green Rovers and later with Shortwood United where his family came from.
He was employed at Newman Henders where he became a foreman and on retirement ran a small pet food supplies around the district.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Re: John "Whacker" Porter

Postby stanman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 pm

That is sad news about Whacker.
I was not living in the area when he played but did chat with him regularly at the day centre of a local Care Home (including it seems the day before his passing), where I do Reminiscence sessions with the emphasis on Sporting Memories.
John regaled me with wonderful memories of his playing years at both FGR and Shortwood and of the personalities of the time. How different football was all those years ago!
Rest in Peace, Whacker. I will miss you and your stories!
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: John "Whacker" Porter

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:08 pm

I remember John very well from the day's we both worked at McEvoys (Newman Henders), he was a great happy foreman and we got on well together. I had left when the place closed but remember hearing he had started his mobile pet food supplies. This is sad news indeed.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat