What's On TV?!

For chat about all other topics

Re: What's On TV?!

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:13 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Subtitled programmes were being discussed on page one of this thread and I mentioned Deutschland 83 and said how good it was. I can't even remember it now though. I just know that I liked it.

I started watching D86 last week but it lost me very quickly. Much too confusing compared to the first series so unfortunately I switched it off.

Yeah, it's a bit oblique. In short, East Germany was allied to the communist government in Angola. South Africa sided with the rebels in Angola. East Germany also supported the ANC rebels in South Africa given their Marxist leanings and opposition to apartheid.

However, given that East Germany was desperate for cash and South Africa was struggling to buy weapons, East Germany and South Africa were prepared to discreetly do business on the arms.

The arms dealing stuff isn't necessarily far fetched. Check out how the roots of the Taliban come from American weapon dealing during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
Last edited by king giraffe III on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
king giraffe III

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Foggy wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
If you are interested in Cold War Germany, take the time to watch The Bader Meinhof Complex; Bye Bye Lenin and The Lives of Others. All three are German movies well worth watching.

I guess you've been amused by Locked Up as well. I tried Farang but it was too slow for me.

I haven't watched any of the films you mentioned but did watch one earlier this week, that I had recorded from BBC2 so probably available on I-Player, that had a German theme. It was the German Doctor, which was about Jozef Mengele, and largely depicting true events. It was set around 1960 when he was on the run in Argentina, leading up to when he left that country and headed off elsewhere. The film was superbly acted, the best I have seen for some time, in a mixture of German and Spanish. It was definitely thought provoking and made me wonder how he managed to evade capture right up to when he died...I guess there were plenty of people sympathetic to the Nazis around at the time so it might not have been as difficult as one would have hoped.

I haven't started on Locked Up yet, despite being tipped off to it...perhaps I can start on that after I finish Norskov.

Thanks for the tip. I shall investigate!
king giraffe III

Postby Foggy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 pm

I tried Locked Up but couldn't get into it, will definitely come back later and try again as it may be a grower. I then turned my attention to Greyzone, which is very Scandi-noir...a mixture of Danish/Swedish and a bit of English, think the Bridge but with terrorism, industrial espionage and kidnapping instead of straight murder. It had me gripped after one episode, there were a few moments where things happened and I just thought, why did you do that? There are some twists along the way for good measure, the plot is fairly strong, and I would rate it as one of the best series I have watched on Walter.

What next?
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Foggy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Next up was a football documentary about the game being played in one of the most remote and dangerous parts of the World, yet fascinating and beautiful at the same time. I heard about this on the radio, when they interviewed the manager of the team who is a Scotsman. I warn in advance that the language is at times obscene, it was apparently toned down to remove certain words, but it is definitely worth a watch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... kashmir-fc
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 am

Cinema rather than TV, but has anyone seen the fisherman's Friends film? Great music and great entertainment.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:34 am

I'm really enjoying Deutschland 86. Confusing and slightly bonkers, but a good watch.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Confusing and slightly bonkers is a good description of Line Of Duty I think!

I've never seen it before so decided to watch the first two episodes of this new series last night to see what all the fuss was about.

I did enjoy it but needed a lie down afterwards to give my brain a rest from trying to unravel the numerous red herrings! :lol:
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Confusing and slightly bonkers is a good description of Line Of Duty I think!

I've never seen it before so decided to watch the first two episodes of this new series last night to see what all the fuss was about.

I did enjoy it but needed a lie down afterwards to give my brain a rest from trying to unravel the numerous red herrings! :lol:

We watched an episode on catch-up a few weeks back. We ended up watching the whole of series 1. The plots are certainly ingenious.

Since then we've binge watched each of the next two series, but have yet to watch season 4. Hence we are not watching the current series.

My wife prefers a binge watch approach. I was expecting to watch the fourth series last night but as there are not enough episodes of the current series (needs to be a minimum of 3) ended up binge-watching the current NCIS LA as that had been given higher priority. I guess I'll be watching soon though 8-)
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Is there anybody else who can't bring themselves to watch the final episode of The Victim tonight?

I'm expecting the worst but don't want to see it.

:(
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:06 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Is there anybody else who can't bring themselves to watch the final episode of The Victim tonight?

I'm expecting the worst but don't want to see it.

:(

I've been absolutely hooked by it, but I've only watched the first 2 parts, so no spoilers please.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Cinema rather than TV, but has anyone seen the fisherman's Friends film? Great music and great entertainment.

We've got more in common than you think, SS. I love me a good sea shanty.
king giraffe III

Postby Silver Surfer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:00 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:Cinema rather than TV, but has anyone seen the fisherman's Friends film? Great music and great entertainment.

We've got more in common than you think, SS. I love me a good sea shanty.

Perhaps we have. Hearing them singing shanties on the beach at Port Isaac was incredibly moving.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed May 22, 2019 10:27 pm

So many good dramas on TV at the moment that I haven't had time to post on here!

Best ones:

Hatton Garden itv
Years And Years bbc1
Mary Kills People more4
The Virtues ch4
Deep State fox

All worth a look.
Anyone else watching?
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:06 am

Watched the Mel Gibson film version of Edge of Darkness recently. The 1970/80s BBC series with Bob Peck was haunting in every sense - brilliant even now. The film is okay, but typically American it uses outright violence instead of the unseen threat of it, and the plot is made simpler for transatlantic minds.

But the biggest loss is that plaintive sound track by Eric Clapton. Missed it so much that I had to have a watch of the YouTube rendition. There are several versions, but I prefer the ones with the strings in the background adding a sort of tension .... Try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpO0-IE7W9Q
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Chernobyl has been excellent
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Just watched the third series of a detective drama based in Canada. Cardinal.

Seems to be a Canadian take on the usual 6 series, multi-thread (in this case 3) "cases". Makes me smile how all these TV companies adapt the same sort of format until someone comes up with something new.

I found it enjoyable enough to want to watch another series.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:17 am

Pitchfork wrote:Chernobyl has been excellent

Absolutely! An amazing but sad account of a disaster exaggerated by gross mismanagement much of it politically motivated. The best series of recent years and second only to .....

"Peaky Blinders", the 5th series of which will likely be broadcast this summer.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:49 am

The odd but engaging Deutschland 86 featured the lies then admission by USSR about the Chernobyl disaster and the radio active fall out that drifted west and over Scandinavia. Quite chilling to get TVs take on this from inside the zone and in neighbouring countries

I don’t recall any reports about after effects in other countries, but it makes you wonder? Also about Long Island’s equivalent?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:54 pm

[quote="Pitchfork"]Chernobyl has been excellent[/quote

Caught the downdraught of the Windscale accident in 1957. Thousand of gallons of milk turned pink by fallout of radioactive iodine were discarded forthwith. Strange happenings in my ex territory with subsequent radioactive sea life appearing around the Irish sea coasts.

Figured out now why the Isle of Man symbol has 3 legs. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm

I haven't seen Chernobyl.

It sounds like I should have but I've been following so many dramas lately that I let that one go.

There's only so many hours in a day for watching TV!

The excellent The Virtues ended on Wednesday. Series and Stephen Graham will be nominated for BAFTA's I'm sure.

Talking of awards my favourite drama of last year Killing Eve is back on Saturday. :)

I really shouldn't have started Love Island this week but first time for me and just wanted to see what all the fuss was about......

And I'm addicted already.

I don't expect anyone else will admit to watching it even though you probably do!

:lol:
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat