Race for VNL promotion

For chat about all other topics

Race for VNL promotion

Postby View From The Pitch » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:49 pm

As I sit here on a quiet Sunday watching SKy sports I look at the VNL table and see Sutton sitting 2nd, 5 points off the top. Now that got me thinking what would happen if they either won the league or won the play offs because they cannot get promoted. Would they find a new ground or would they dig up their 4G pitch. Must be such a difficult position for the powers that be at the club.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Re: Race for VNL promotion

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 pm

If Sutton do go up they , at present would have to conform to League 2 rules that their pitch has to be grass. Sutton, like Maidstone, Bromley and Worthing all gain considerable revenue from lettings, academy, women's usage, community hire, schools, etc. and would very seriously affect their ability to function if that was withdrawn.However, did read yesterday that it is up for consideration at League - level soon, to reconsider plastic pitches and a member vote is anticipated. ( Added to that is the fact that these clubs rarely have a home game postponed, thus adding to their popularity ).
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Reading the blurb on the Fgr home page it appears Sutton would have signed a contract stating that if promoted they would have to change their pitch to grass by a set date or only 1 team will be promoted.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:20 pm

I believe that all the teams from the VNL vying for promotion have confirmed in writing that they will comply with EFL rules if promoted, according to an article I read in the papers today.

In other words they have agreed to take up their artificial pitch if promoted.

The article went on to say that rules might change but not this summer.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Looking further down the leagues and the race for promotion, Billericay Town's owner manager has thrown his toys out the pram.

Having put £2 million into the club in recent times, and lost a match or two, he asked the players to give up a weeks wages as a show of solidarity. When some of them refused he resigned as manager.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am

I saw an interview with the likeable Sutton manager a while back. He said then that Sutton are poised, if needs be, to get a grass pitch installed and ready for the start of the 2018/19 season.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Does anyone know how the promotion works this year? The table has 3 lines on it. One under the team placed first, one under the team placed 3rd, and one under the team placed 7th. I presume it is still 2 up/down, so does the team in first get automatic promotion, and 2nd to 7th have some sort of playoff? Looks like we escaped at a good time.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby chrism » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:36 pm

I believe 1 team goes up automatically, places 4 to 7 play off with the two winners of these games playing the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd in the playoff semis.
chrism
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Greeners Jnr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:54 pm

chrism wrote:I believe 1 team goes up automatically, places 4 to 7 play off with the two winners of these games playing the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd in the playoff semis.

That's correct, one off matches, not 2 legs, at home of highest placed team so 4th v 7th and 5th v 6th, then 2nd v 4th or 7th and 3rd v 5th or 6th.
Geronimo!!!!!!!
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat