Eating Less Meat

For chat about all other topics

Re: Eating Less Meat

Postby stanman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 am

Don't forget that if you are an increasingly vegan diet, or have adopted veganism completely, you should carefully consider whether your intake of various vitamins and trace elements are adequate.
Most at risk are Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and long chain omega-3 fatty acids. Depending on what you do actually eat intakes may be ok but you need to think carefully about it.
I would like to suggest a discussion with a dietician would be a good move especially if you are changing, or have done so recently, to full veganism permanently but the waiting times are so long. There is a shortage of dietitians in the NHS (like most healthcare professional these days). There are private dietitians about though.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 am

Great to see this 'Eating Less Meat' thread long running & active. Thanks to regular contributors and those that have shown an interest in reading. 101 replies, 11,000 views is amazing for a food topic on a football forum.

The coverage of FGR's vegan values has had phenomenal coverage and the club's stance has been an influence on many people thinking harder about their food choices.

Those who are moving to a vegan diet should certainly read stanman's advice above. However for most, who have an evolving dietary intake, EATING LESS MEAT is most typical. Apparently the term is now REDUCETARIAN!

When the vegan diet was introduced at The New Lawn there was a backlash, but now most fans accept the importance of the message.

To those who felt football was being neglected with 'green values' taking precedence, I hope they are convinced progression with football success is still a priority. We have a strong squad as we move forward in our third season in the EFL and tonight we face Charlton, arguably the highest placed opposition in our history.

Anyway back to 'Eating Less Meat', here is another insightful article.

https://reducetarian.org/blog/2019/1/26 ... -less-meat
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 am

Try looking at the recipe books of Rose Elliot. Hundreds of really unusual recipes. All vegetarian. Mostly vegan as well. Full of simple, tasty, and natural food.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 am

Pitchfork,
Reference your last post.
I think we can all agree there was a backlash when TNL became vegan.
Our opponents were vociferous in putting down everybody connected with FGR as vegans. But I've noticed a sea change in their attitude towards the food offered towards away fans.
No longer do we get the mickey taken to such a zenith degree. Away fans who have sampled our food understand the club's Vegans policy . Best example is of course Carlisle, who is sponsored by a major meat company.
However Walsall fans who have never paid a visit to TNL are still in that time warp. In the build up to game they were dismissive of FGR as mere vegans and in actual fact posted following:
[Okay I thought it amusing while at same time concerned for Raw.]
But next season I can guarantee Walsall will have moderated their views after their visit to TNL.
It seems DV is getting his message across to meat pie eating football supporters.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Timb wrote:We had a fantastic veg stir fry with rice noodles last night. With courgettes, French beans, cabbage from the allotment plus loads of garlic, chilli and soy sauce. Now a once a week staple.

Falafel wrap for lunch yesterday from the former kebab shop in Wandsworth High Street.

I don't feel short changed this morning after veggie intake yesterday. Habits have definitely changed in the last 8 years. spaghetti Bolognese and chilli are off the menu apart from very rare occasions for a change. Rather than every week.

I went and gave myself a heart attack in January......thought I better change some stuff including elements of my diet. Got a new wok and essentially did exactly what Timb describes above. A bloody revelation, so cheap and easy, and likewise a saturday night staple. And so many sauces you can add, though sweet chilli usually wins.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 pm

AM26. Very sorry to hear that. Hope you've made a full recovery. Its part of the reason I'm looking to move away from ham sandwiches and bacon rolls and to be fair eating meat everyday.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 pm

I'm cooking a lentil bolognaise later in the week, have made it once before and was pleasantly surprised how good it was...probably better than most I had previously cooked that featured meat.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby andymac26 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:36 pm

twoguns wrote:AM26. Very sorry to hear that. Hope you've made a full recovery. Its part of the reason I'm looking to move away from ham sandwiches and bacon rolls and to be fair eating meat everyday.

Cheers TG. No bother - actually feel fitter now than I have for about 10 or 15 years, and I'm sure some of that is due to better diet, bit of cycling, etc.
New parts installed, some lifestyle changes made, and a lucky warning. All good!
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dove » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 am

I went vegan at the age of 50 over 4 years ago, I am leaner and fitter than any time in my 40s. You can get all the required vitamins from sunlight, veg, nuts and seeds. You can get B12 from plant based milks at the half-time interval.
dove
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 am

"That vegan **** he's eating our grass". I didn't hear that at the match (my useless hearing) but it is plain funny whatever your beliefs. I think Dale would find it so, too.

I eat far less meat & dairy that 10 years ago though still do not plan (yet) to be vegetarian or vegan. But I am open to the possibility. Persuasive factors from my perspective are:

- Em Franklin & her successor as FGR chef providing tasty dishes that I would not have considered previously. Such as flavoured Tofu
- avoidance of saturated & dairy fats - common sense in looking after your heart & arteries
- avoidance of processed red meat (sausages, bacon etc) because of the proven connection with various cancers
- need to eat more fibre (fruit, veg, wholemeal, nuts/seed etc) as it helps diminish risk of colonic cancers

My children avoid gluten for health reasons and that is something FGR might work on further. I will not add sugar or salt to meals or cooking in view of their links to obesity and dementia. Again, I'd like all chefs/cooks to ignore the popular recipes and lead the battle for better diet - less sugar, salt, saturated fat etc. Many TV chefs seem to live in their own bubble that heaps on sugar, cream, butter and so on

Ok, it's each to his/her own. But like it or not, meat production through grazing animals produces more ruinous gases than aircraft, so if we are to come close to addressing the damage of climate change, we have to make serious moves towards a plant based diet.

Irrespective of what farming & industry does, Education establishments and families can lead - maybe start by 'boycotting' McDonalds, Burger King and their like, as we as a family did when we had children 30+ years ago. And if you value your teeth or fat quotient, who in their right minds would advocate drinking full sugar fizzy drinks? It's about what WE decide and how WE take responsibility

"Oh the times they are a changing ... "
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Talking of vegetables I'm up in Lincolnshire today and there's a lot of them about. And lots of pickers. Just had lunch in 'Taste of Lithuania' in Boston. The menu is basically meat, meat, meat or fish.

Apart from Sorrel Soup which was a very tasty tangy veg soup.

And potato casserole which was basically like a large slice of sponge cake crossed with polenta and made of potato. On an onion sauce and sour cream on the side. Tasty. And as the saying goes 'try anything once'
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:11 pm

In fact the menu is pork double, sausage, meat pie, pork meat balls, roast pork, spicy roast pork, pork neck, chicken meat balls, chicken roasted, schnitzel, pork shank, beef steak, grilled chicken, grilled pork, chicken pasta, fried chicken in pork in mushroom or cheese sauce. Cold beetroot soup, Sorrel soup, Potato casserole, potato pancakes with meat...... And 3 fish dishes. Time to go and get my train.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm

I had an interview with UCL student Maisie Kemp this morning. She is writing a dissertation on the relationship between 'meat-eating and masculinity'.

She is trying to understand if the vegan policy at FGR has influenced fans' diets, their perception of the club and fan identity. It makes for a fascinating discussion, whatever you think about 'eating less meat', gender identity or football culture.

She has now had a satisfactory response to her request for interviewees, but would be grateful if one or two more would step forward. If you are interested leave a post below or send me a message and I'll put you in touch with Maisie.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Timb wrote:In fact the menu is pork double, sausage, meat pie, pork meat balls, roast pork, spicy roast pork, pork neck, chicken meat balls, chicken roasted, schnitzel, pork shank, beef steak, grilled chicken, grilled pork, chicken pasta, fried chicken in pork in mushroom or cheese sauce. Cold beetroot soup, Sorrel soup, Potato casserole, potato pancakes with meat...... And 3 fish dishes. Time to go and get my train.

But what if you don't like spam?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 pm

There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Now we have a cricket club (the world's first) turning to vegan food, "following in the footsteps of Forest Green Rovers, the world’s first vegan football club, which introduced an entirely vegan menu two years ago."

https://www.cricketworld.com/cricket-club-goes-vegan-to-boost-inclusivity/58234.htm

"The club’s next battle is with the world organisers of cricket to allow them to change the cricket ball from a leather one and they are currently trialling synthetic leather balls.
The world’s number 1 batsman and India captain Virat Kohli is vegan, as are Australian international cricketers Kane Richardson, Adam Zampa and Peter Siddle."
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
Timb wrote:In fact the menu is pork double, sausage, meat pie, pork meat balls, roast pork, spicy roast pork, pork neck, chicken meat balls, chicken roasted, schnitzel, pork shank, beef steak, grilled chicken, grilled pork, chicken pasta, fried chicken in pork in mushroom or cheese sauce. Cold beetroot soup, Sorrel soup, Potato casserole, potato pancakes with meat...... And 3 fish dishes. Time to go and get my train.

But what if you don't like spam?

In Belgrade a few years ago, eating slabs of red meat, gallons of red wine, lumps of root vegetables, I asked my Serbian host about vegetarians and how they might be catered for.

"They can watch."
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:40 pm

Back in Bristol for meetings. So a visit to the street food stalls in st Nicholas market. Lots of meat veggie and vegan options. In the queue for Falafel in Pitta which is by far the longest by order of magnitude. My mouth is watering, I remember this place from my last visit a few Yeats ago.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to General Chat