Eating Less Meat

For chat about all other topics

Re: Eating Less Meat

Postby Timb » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:10 pm

I also see from the small print in the newspapers that there is an outbreak of African Swine Flu in Eastern Poland with 20000 piglets culled to try to stop the spread west. Its fatal to pigs and has reached the wild boar population from factory farms.

Apparently there's an ongoing outbreak in china too pretty much unreported with half the pigs in china culled.

It stems from industrial farms run by a big multi national food company and where 2 packets of water injected bacon for a fiver comes from.

The more I look and the more I read. And the surreal situation we are in now, the less I actually want to eat meat.

It's a bit like giving up smoking in the 90s. I told myself I'd given up around 1997, but actually just down from 20 a day to smoking OPs, (other peoples when out), and paying back with the odd packet of 20.

It feels a bit like that now with meat. Down to maybe once a week at the moment, which is tomorrow. Steak tagliata in the menu. But that'll be that for a week.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Lots of people heading your way Tim

https://reducetarian.org
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 pm

I gave up eating animals/fish 25 years ago.

Maybe they are now getting their own back?
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:38 am

Not buying now in the supermarkets and by increasing our buying locally the quality of veg and meat available is so much better. The Green shop and Stancombe farm. Such gems as bacon that does not end up in a white watery mush and flavoursome fresh veg.The animals are treated with respect.....we eat less.meat now but its locally reared and processed ..
Bill Shankly
First Team
First Team

Postby dove » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:24 am

Bill Shankly wrote:Not buying now in the supermarkets and by increasing our buying locally the quality of veg and meat available is so much better. The Green shop and Stancombe farm. Such gems as bacon that does not end up in a white watery mush and flavoursome fresh veg.The animals are treated with respect.....we eat less.meat now but its locally reared and processed ..

The pigs still end up in the same slaughterhouse, when they are only 6 months old.
dove
Youth
Youth

Postby Timb » Sat May 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Get 2 heads of pink chicory. Slice them into one eighth wedges.

Wipe them in rapeseed or olive oil.

Fry or griddle them for 5 minutes each of the 3 sides on a low heat till browned. Put the chicory in a big sauce pan and pour in 75ml of sweet sherry and 75ml of water. Bring to the boil and then keep going, stirring around until the sauce is well reduced and a bit sticky. Stir in a knob of butter, then it's ready. Bitter and sweet. Certainly hit the brownie point spot today.

Serve with crusty bread.

Chicory is on it's way to being my new favourite vegetable.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:09 am

This is no surprise.

“Fast food giant KFC has laid bare the realities of chicken production after admitting to poor welfare conditions among its suppliers.

More than a third of the birds on its supplier farms in the UK and Ireland suffer from a painful inflammation known as footpad dermatitis that in severe cases can prevent birds from walking normally.

Footpad dermatitis is characterised by lesions on the feet, usually because of poor ventilation and litter management. KFC said the number of birds affected had fallen from more than half to 35% in just four years, and that its top suppliers were achieving levels of 15% or below.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... flammation
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Don't visit KFC!

Although once Boris gets his way with this American trade deal, :evil: Kentucky chicken will be all that's available unless you want to pay £15.00 for a 2.5 Kg bird, like he will!
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:37 pm

Exactly. Don't eat rubbish that's been inhumanely bred, and pumped full of hormones, growth promoters and antibiotics. Eat chicken less often, but get an organically bred one if you do.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm

Exactly. Don't eat rubbish that's been inhumanely bred, and pumped full of hormones, growth promoters and antibiotics. Eat chicken less often, but get an organically bred one if you do.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 am

Eco-Exile wrote:This is no surprise.

“Fast food giant KFC has laid bare the realities of chicken production after admitting to poor welfare conditions among its suppliers.

More than a third of the birds on its supplier farms in the UK and Ireland suffer from a painful inflammation known as footpad dermatitis that in severe cases can prevent birds from walking normally.

Footpad dermatitis is characterised by lesions on the feet, usually because of poor ventilation and litter management. KFC said the number of birds affected had fallen from more than half to 35% in just four years, and that its top suppliers were achieving levels of 15% or below.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... flammation

I had not read about this before it was placed on forum.
This morning on Radio 4’s Farming Today there was a long discussion on subject. Reps from KFC and Compassion in Farming were interviewed.
At the end KFC received a minor thumbs up from all.
They had initiated the report into chicken welfare and had the strength of conviction to make it public. Other companies would have buried it out of sight. In fact KFC are the only company to make such an investigation.
The company admit the situation is less than perfect but is a lot better than in the recent past and is getting better all the time and that KFCs standards are amongst the very best in the industry.

So on the surface a damning report turns out not to be so.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 am

I enjoy the odd KFC and Nando's, but during lockdown I've actually found they aren't too hard to make yourself if you get the time.

Probably a bit healthier too.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tom FGR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 pm

KFC or free range - it's still morally wrong.

Meat free diet is super easy nowadays & has so many health benefits.
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to General Chat