Page 4 of 6

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:10 pm
by Tommo
Timb wrote:

I'm not sure where you're getting information fed to you regarding "side effects" of eating Less Meat.



I believe it is well known that vegans have to be more careful than others about build ups of deficiencies. Certainly the girlfriend of one of my sons had some problems in moving to a vegan diet and had to supplement it. There is lots of information - fake or otherwise - on the net about this. For example: https://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles ... -tips.html

I think most aspects are easy to get around.

Moderation seems the best course but we are going to have to be much more moderate regarding meat because of the environmental impact and the increasing population. It still seems daft to me that we grow crops like maize and soya for animals to eat - especially where this involves cutting down forest first.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 pm
by Timb
This thread is about eating Less Meat, a lot less meat.

I've heard the same thing regarding the vegan diet Tommo and I'll leave it to others to respond regarding the point you've raised.

A lot less meat seems to be doing me no harm at all.

Same old same old when it comes to beer though... A happy crowd in the social network tonight after the game v man city.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:34 am
by paulK
Timb wrote:I think you're missing the point PK.

The 20 a day analogy relates to the initial reaction last century to the view that smoking was bad for you. The same reaction is prevalent now in relation to this situation. Hopefully it won't take 50 years foe action. In this case, including guidance from the government.

I'm not sure where you're getting information fed to you regarding "side effects" of eating Less Meat.

It wasn't so long ago that the south European diet with very little meat and dairy was hailed as the the healthiest diet in Europe.


There has been plenty published about the worry that there is worry about the lack of certain nutrients in a vegan diet and the care that and understanding needed to ensure a healthy vegan diet.

You are right in what you say about the south European diet. That had and still does have a far bigger impact on my way of life and thinking than a complete switch to Vegan.

I'm not sure the reaction to eating meat today is akin to that of smoking all those years ago, but accept your point Tim, though not in a context that everybody should refrain from eating meat because it is not good for you and/or it contributes to global warming. That Governments should take action in tackling global warming, I am 100% in agreement, but where money is involved and, at the day, that is often the bottom line , that doesn't help.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:11 pm
by Timb
Back from Christmas excess yesterday both meat and drink...

Had a beautiful broccoli, broad bean, fennel, peas chilli pillau rice last night.

Fry up cumin seeds for a minute, then onions garlic chilli for ten minutes. Par boil broad beans, broccoli stems. Fry up sliced fennel bulb and Brown off. Add all stuff together Including broccoli heads. And put lid on and steam for 5 minutes.

Cook the rice till just done and leave to rest for 5 minutes.

Mix all together and add a handful of chopped mint and chopped Dill over the top.

Serve up and squeeze lemon juice all over. Juicy and spicy.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:54 pm
by Timb
Eating Less Meat.

It was interesting to hear the livestock farmer "Jimmy" last night state that he now only eats meat maybe twice a week. Jamie Oliver was also advised to change his diet by his doctor I believe.

Eating Less Meat is easier if the alternatives are in easy reach and tasty.

It's clear from the two FGR pieces that the food we are offering is basically substitute food, ie traditional meat or dairy meals with no meat or dairy in them. Fair enough but not really to my taste.

On the tv this morning the question was asked by the presenter "could you do that? Go vegan" to the guests. One of them answered that if there was a Gujarati chef in the family it would be no problem because the cuisine is so tasty and naturally vegetable based. more what I enjoy regularly and very wholesome.

Yesterday was aubergine and pea with bread and pickles.

Oil. Fry up cumin seeds till they're aromatic then two chopped onions for 10 minutes. Then add 6 crushed garlic cloves fry for 5 minutes. Add tin of chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and Cook for 5 minutes. Add turmeric sugar salt Cook for 5 minutes. Chop up 3 aubergines into inch cubes and mix into sauce. Cook for 15 minutes. Add peas and cook for two minutes. Dine.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 pm
by Pitchfork
Yes football is most FGR fans' principle focus....and it remains high profile with our brilliant form, league position and new signings. Don't let anyone try to tell you the Chairman or the staff aren't committed to what happens on the pitch.

However in 'General Chat' this 'Eat Less Meat' thread needs to run and run to maintain the high profile for the club's values and beliefs.

TV has given us lots of publicity this weekend, well done to everyone for painting FGR in such a good light - newspapers and especially social media have covered the story well.

Veganuary 2019 looks likely to be bigger than ever, thanks for the taste stimulation Timb. You may like this article

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/re ... 30396.html

Ambassadors have the opportunity to make FGR match day food on an evening in mid January. Jade, now a TV chef who has featured on 2 programmes, will be educating 20 of them on how to prepare tasty vegan food.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:06 pm
by Greeners
Hi
Tim; is that fresh peas, tinned peas or soaked dried peas, and what quantity?

The quantities you have mentioned are obviously too much for one person at one sitting, so would it freeze in single person portions?

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 pm
by stanman
Pitchfork wrote:.......... Ambassadors have the opportunity to make FGR match day food on an evening in mid January. Jade, now a TV chef who has featured on 2 programmes, will be educating 20 of them on how to prepare tasty vegan food.


Excellent, Pitchfork.
I just wonder if there might be any mileage in a similar 'course' (at a reasonable charge perhaps) for interested adult fans, and partners.
I, plus one, would be takers if for no other reason than an acknowledgment of the increasing scientific/medical evidence in favour of the benefits of a more (and not necessarily a 100%) plant-based diet.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:07 pm
by Timb
Hi Greeners.

I tipped a load of frozen peas into the saucepan until the peas stopped looking lost and just let them defrost and warm through basically.

It made enough to freeze two more 2 portion containers for midweek sometime as well as a meal for 3 with a sweet potato based spicy subji alongside it.

For anyone who has never tried a dosa (which featured on tv last night) I would recommend finding a South Indian Restaurant that serves them. They're fantastic.

If you're ever in south london theres a Restaurant called Kolam near tooting bec tube that does them. It's not a veggie restaurant.

Most Indian Restaurants are of Bangladeshi heritage and the cooking styles between Bangladeshi and south Indian is majorly different. Less cream etc etc. More veg.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:00 pm
by Pitchfork
stanman wrote:I just wonder if there might be any mileage in a similar 'course' (at a reasonable charge perhaps) for interested adult fans, and partners.
I, plus one, would be takers if for no other reason than an acknowledgment of the increasing scientific/medical evidence in favour of the benefits of a more (and not necessarily a 100%) plant-based diet.


I will make enquiries stanman: if interested fans are to be authentic in spreading the 'eat less meat' message, some education about vegan food from Jade and 'hands on experience with ingredients' would be helpful. I'd be up for it, as would my other half.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:31 pm
by paulK
stanman wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:.......... Ambassadors have the opportunity to make FGR match day food on an evening in mid January. Jade, now a TV chef who has featured on 2 programmes, will be educating 20 of them on how to prepare tasty vegan food.


Excellent, Pitchfork.
I just wonder if there might be any mileage in a similar 'course' (at a reasonable charge perhaps) for interested adult fans, and partners.
I, plus one, would be takers if for no other reason than an acknowledgment of the increasing scientific/medical evidence in favour of the benefits of a more (and not necessarily a 100%) plant-based diet.



+1 - or 2 even ;)

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 am
by Pitchfork
Pitchfork wrote:
stanman wrote:I just wonder if there might be any mileage in a similar 'course' (at a reasonable charge perhaps) for interested adult fans, and partners.
I, plus one, would be takers if for no other reason than an acknowledgment of the increasing scientific/medical evidence in favour of the benefits of a more (and not necessarily a 100%) plant-based diet.


I will make enquiries stanman: if interested fans are to be authentic in spreading the 'eat less meat' message, some education about vegan food from Jade and 'hands on experience with ingredients' would be helpful.


Meeting with our CEO and Jade, our chef, in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we can get something arranged for this side of Easter.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 am
by andymac26
I now have to cut down significantly on meat after a dodgy start to the new year and a heart attack. Keep the recipes coming, will be helpful for me to make some needed changes...

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm
by Timb
I've been back at work since yesterday and it is clear that what FGR are doing off the pitch is having an effect. 3 meetings so far and the vegan thing brought up in conversation 3 times. Admittedly they know I'm an FGR fan what with wearing the FGR hat.

I met a rather rotund contracts manager for a piling company this morning who revealed he's gone vegan "to see if it makes a difference" and after a week said he was feeling it throughout in a positive Way.

Whatever next?

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:14 pm
by Tim13
Timb wrote:I met a rather rotund contracts manager for a piling company this morning who revealed he's gone vegan "to see if it makes a difference" and after a week said he was feeling it throughout in a positive Way.


Veganism probably a gpod way to avoid piles!

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:23 pm
by Timb
True.

We had another old favourite tonight. The basic recipe is West African and mine is out of my old Marks and Spencer Cook book from the late 1970s when I first left Home.

It's a sauce and then you could put whatever you like in to it whether meat or vegetable. Apparently it was traditionally a vegetarian dish but in the book it was turned into a chicken dish. And for the last few years we've eaten it as a veggie dish.

Peanut butter chicken.

Fry up onions leeks garlic chilli. When soft add in whatever you fancy. tonight was carrots, chunks of courgettes, chunks of aubergine, potato chunks (sweet or not) and Cook for a few minutes. salt and pepper.

Add chopped tomatoes and crunchy peanut butter and veg stock and more chilli, optional, to form a thick stew sauce and Cook down for a short while.

Serve with rice and a good hot pepper sauce.

It takes around 30 mins and is great for the freezer as well.

The chunks of juicy courgettes are particularly fine in the hot sauce and the potatoes add substance.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 pm
by stanman
https://www.livekindly.co/meat-loving-david-beckham-london-vegan-burger-restaurant-filth/

I know nothing about "Live Kindly" but good to see FGR mentioned in a piece primarily about David Beckham, plus some vegan sporting stars.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:37 pm
by Timb
Chilling out with a beer after a takeaway curry (veg) and watching Jamie and Jimmy on channel 4 coz there's buffer all else on. And its all vegan again.... For the second time this month.

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:39 pm
by Pitchfork
Have chatted to our chef Jade & CEO Henry and plans are afoot to put on a 'vegan cooking evening' in the early summer, format to be discussed.

Watch this space!

Re: Eating Less Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:58 am
by stanman
Thanks P/F. Sounds good. Will be an interesting session for sure.