Mask or no mask?

This board is a temporary one for topics and posts to to with the Coronavirus pandemic. Please put all relevant material in here, rather than the other boards.

Re: Mask or no mask?

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 am

The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:07 am

Could someone help me please?

Should I wear a mask?

Talk about hijacking a thread and turning it into a political debate. AGAIN
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:57 am

Eco-Exile wrote:It looks like the Government is going to make masks compulsory in indoor shops and other smaller indoor places.

Masks to me and many in the country seem such an alien idea. I bought some this week as one place I was attending made it obligatory however it felt very strange.

I will avoid wearing one where possible even if mandated.

What do other members think?

FootieMan wrote:Could someone help me please?

Should I wear a mask?

FM, you should have read the first post, the 5th word was ‘government’ and it asks members if they think they should wear a mask!

So, should you?
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:54 am

Never mind-rumour has it there is a football season starting soon,and then maybe the FGR first team (football thread ) will be a bit more populated .
then we can have a real moan and whinge !!

as it is,FM is correct that both general chat and coronavirus have become political debates .

Perhaps inevitable over the last 4 months when there has been a lack of football activity .

I am not 'big' on this mental health stuff ,but to be fair-maybe some of the 'political' debates have kept a few occupied and sane ,similar to the 'games'section in general chat ,which does not do it for me -but fully appreciate it does for others.

that given-nothing to say cant be -and whilst i am not overly keen on it ,i confess that i am seduced from time to time to partake in the political aspects of this .
seems to me that general chat in particular allows for debate about absolutely anything .

i would also add, that i do find many of the posts interesting and frankly 'educational ' (dont believe everything you read ) on a few levels, so i would hardly complain
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 am

FootieMan wrote:Could someone help me please?

Should I wear a mask?

Politics is all about forging agreements between people so that we can live together. In countries that don't have political debate...such as China, Hong Kong, Russia...there is a threat to freedom.

In order to have a better understanding about 'Covid' and questions such as "Should I wear a mask?" a dialogue is helpful.

The General Chat discussion has been generally well informed, educational & an opportunity for
learning. This has been exemplified well by the very recent posts on this thread about ALM. Whilst Heather posted in all innocence that 'All lives Matter', others were able to explain it has negative implications for racial justice.

As to your question FM, yes in shops and on public transport. In most of Europe this is accepted without question; in the UK because of government vacillation many, like you, seem to have been left confused
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 am

That's a good summary PF.

I deliberately didn't go into detail on the BLM/ALM issue - as E-E implied, a lack of deeper knowledge is the case and I didn't want to point fingers, shout, etc. as that would not have been a solution.

In fact ALM quite neatly highlights the issue with race in this country and others - what on the face of it appears to be sensible and inclusive is actually not. There are a number of phrases and stances like this, which we (as white privileged people) often use, without knowing the effect they have. Some of them are dog whistles to the far right.

I think that as the 'elite' it is incumbent on us to get educated - which for me means reading things I don't normally, listening to people I wouldn't normally, making sure I'm not being fed stuff in an echo chamber like FaceBook.

That means that places like this are great when they carry informative stuff, whether it be about Football or the world.

I still miss Dursley Dog greatly.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:14 am

Too occasional fan wrote:
I still miss Dursley Dog greatly.

Snap, posted some incredibly well thought out comment, well resourced, referenced and informative, in the face of some complete and utter garbage posted by others. In the end they just gave up and the forum is a poorer place as a result.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:21 am

Lady Magpie wrote:I apologise for using ALM, I didn't know it was already used to criticise BLM.

All I wanted to say is that, regardless of someone's age, their life is just as important as any other.

LM

Likewise, I didn't see any connection to the BLM either.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am

As has been hinted above, you need to do some research, FA.

You could start with the link that Doggy posted.

(Unless you meant that you didn't see it, but do now :| )
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:57 am

Some great sentiments above especially on the opportunity for dialogue and education.

What I believe this thread has really contributed is broadening perspectives.

On the one hand, some posters are dismissive of Covid, think it is overplayed and want the country to return to ‘normal’ with no regard for others‘ lives.

On the other hand, those more vulnerable to the disease are focussed more on a continued lockdown of society no matter at what cost to society and economy.

What I hope to have shown through my posts is that the two views cannot be reconciled and a compromise approach to best meet the overall needs of everyone, without favouring or showing privilege to any demographic group is important.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to Coronavirus