So how do you resolve the fixture build up ?

This board is a temporary one for topics and posts to to with the Coronavirus pandemic. Please put all relevant material in here, rather than the other boards.

Re: So how do you resolve the fixture build up ?

Postby Greeners » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:58 am

Hi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51947129
It appears Ibrahimovic has made two 50,000 euro (£46,054) donations.

I wonder how many minutes of work that represents for him?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51898604
The France international says he will double the fund if his goal of £27,000 is reached.

Repeat my Q/Comment above
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:38 pm

So Rugby Union has made the decision to abandon the season except for their Premiership. Not much there about promotions/relegations, though a mention that Saracens are, to all intents and purposes, doomed.

I suppose football could follow a similar route but then, what about promotions/relegation. I guess they could be "abandoned" for this year, except that the slot left by Bury needs to be filled. Would that mean we denied Swindon or would it be theirs because they've played less games than Crewe?
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 pm

paulK wrote:So Rugby Union has made the decision to abandon the season except for their Premiership. Not much there about promotions/relegations, though a mention that Saracens are, to all intents and purposes, doomed.

I suppose football could follow a similar route but then, what about promotions/relegation. I guess they could be "abandoned" for this year, except that the slot left by Bury needs to be filled. Would that mean we denied Swindon or would it be theirs because they've played less games than Crewe?

Your post clearly shows that any decision to abandon the fixtures is seeped in legal red tape and open for appeal by clubs denied titles, promotion or are relegated.
For instance: it is still mathematically possible for FGR to reach the play-offs.
That is why I'm thinking the fixtures will be completed asap after pandemic.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:22 pm

My old hometown haunt, Barrow FC are pretty well in limbo until a final decision regarding the National League is forthcoming. Running away at the top and worried that the Season will be declared void and thus no promotion. It is 38 years since they lost their football League status to Hereford via the AGM cup.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dove » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:My old hometown haunt, Barrow FC are pretty well in limbo until a final decision regarding the National League is forthcoming. Running away at the top and worried that the Season will be declared void and thus no promotion. It is 38 years since they lost their football League status to Hereford via the AGM cup.

Correction, it's 48 years.
dove
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:24 pm

Correct! Please make an allowance for an old fart! :oops:
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:My old hometown haunt, Barrow FC are pretty well in limbo until a final decision regarding the National League is forthcoming. Running away at the top and worried that the Season will be declared void and thus no promotion. It is 38 years since they lost their football League status to Hereford via the AGM cup.

The EFL is already one short following Bury's demise. So they could let Barrow in without relegating anyone.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:11 am

My belief is the season will take as long as it takes. The view generally appears to be to finish this season no matter what between now and Euro 2021 and then it might be next season which is shortened or compressed or removed.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 am

Hi
Eco-Exile wrote:My belief is the season will take as long as it takes. The view generally appears to be to finish this season no matter what between now and Euro 2021 and then it might be next season which is shortened or compressed or removed.

As per my post last Tues
Greeners wrote:Hi
It's likely that this will persist until well into the Autumn, so

Cancel season 20-21 and call this season 19-21. OK squads may well differ after transfer windows but so what.
!9-21 will probably be able to finish at normal time or maybe slightly earlier. Then everybody will be ready for Europe 2020 in 2021 Mens and Womens .
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 am

So all lower league stuff has just been cancelled. Hard luck for Horsley and a myriad others who would have been promoted. Good luck for an equal number of others I guess.

I still think a fairer approach would be to cancel next season and play the remainder of this one then. Depending on when the outbreak subsides, there might be time to fit in a new league/knockout based cup competition to bolster the number of fixtures.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:21 pm

have just scanned through this:

I like Kentstripe's idea to finish this season in the autumn, then devise a way of having the season in half the time, and the idea of having north and south mini leagues is excellent. less travelling expense for clubs and fans and more chance to get to matches i.e bigger crowds are all added bonuses which will help with financial recovery. Winners of each league go up and playoff for champs, rest go into a playoff system.

Contracts may be an issue, I assume the club are looking at this now, not sure who's are up in the summer though.

Early rounds of FA Cup (drop the other one) could be started as usual whilst the remainder if this seasons is played out

A big advantage for FGR will be having Joe and Shep back.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Re player contracts. How does the players being placed on furlough effect the contract situation? Can a fixed term contract be extended? If not then the likes of Shephard, Mills and Rawson will all become free agents in the summer.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 pm

It's not quite as simple as that.

Due to the demise of Bury, one club has to be promoted from L2 to L1, but should it be Crewe or Swindon? Level on points. Crewe are top but have played one game more.

So one club has to be promoted from the National League, presumably Barrow.

We then need one club to replace Barrow, but should it be top of National League North or South?

...and so on through the pyramid.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:57 am

Toss for it and move on.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby StroudFan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:18 am

No big surprise that the lower non-league levels have been cancelled: with no matchday revenue, many clubs would be Financially fecked and I think it is the best of a bad bunch of options.

Silver Surfer wrote:It's not quite as simple as that.

Due to the demise of Bury, one club has to be promoted from L2 to L1, but should it be Crewe or Swindon? Level on points. Crewe are top but have played one game more.

So one club has to be promoted from the National League, presumably Barrow.

We then need one club to replace Barrow, but should it be top of National League North or South?

...and so on through the pyramid.

The Bury issue is a good point: how could the EFL make up the numbers to 71 without causing chaos in the lower leagues? I can’t see how they could promote Barrow and not face legal action from other clubs who felt it was unfair.

I think it would be better to continue with just 71, leaving L1 short but all other teams in the same place. There will be winners and losers of course, with the huge question of Championship to Prem beingworth £100m+, but in the current times maybe that is the best option?

Either way, I doubt we will know what will happen till mid-late April at best.
StroudFan
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:31 pm

All English Football League games to resume behind closed doors and broadcast on TV or online

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/a ... li=BBoPWjQ
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:57 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:All English Football League games to resume behind closed doors and broadcast on TV or online

Dream on. This can't possibly happen until we have the ability to test people.

What will happen is that we have the first match, after which a number of players are found to have had the virus. What do we do with the rest of the teams which have affected players? Quarantine them all? And the medical staff? And the support staff?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:All English Football League games to resume behind closed doors and broadcast on TV or online

What will happen is that we have the first match, after which a number of players are found to have had the virus. What do we do with the rest of the teams which have affected players? Quarantine them all? And the medical staff? And the support staff?

It is a balancing act to return to normal life.
There is no anti-Covid-19 vaccine although seemingly there are now tests to show whether a person has anti-bodies.
I suspect football will be being played a lot sooner than later.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:

I agree with you Silver Surfer. As things are at the moment, I really can't see this season being completed soonish…. if ever.

A paper published yesterday in Nature Medicine (a highly reputable journal) suggests that 44% of COVID-19 transmission occurs from pre-symptomatic individuals during the 2-3 days BEFORE they develop symptoms. So there's one answer - stay at home, certainly for the next 3 weeks and almost certainly for longer for those at "higher risk" - and we all know who those are by now.

What we need is a rapid reliable "point-of-care" antigen test (high precision, accuracy, sensitivity and specificity). If such was available then one might imagine it could be used on players about to participate in a sporting event. One promising test undergoing early trials is a slide test (like a pregnancy test) but using saliva. It would not be expensive, and could easily be scaled up for mass production.
Let's hope and pray this, or something like, this becomes generally available soon.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm pretty much with Stanman on this one and can't see a resumption of football any time soon. If you listen to the medical experts talking about the virus they seem to be suggesting that there could be several waves, so logically once the first has finished we must start preparing for the second, and so on...rinse and repeat. Football, or indeed any sport, will be a very low priority when compared against securing our health and social care services, plus of course all others considered key workers...I don't think football players come into any of those categories.

We will probably get to a point when it no longer becomes viable to resume the season that is on hold and it is just scrapped completely. I'm not expecting to watch any live football before the autumn, at the earliest, but would of course be pleasantly surprised if that is not the case.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

PreviousNext

Return to Coronavirus