How Are We Coping?

This board is a temporary one for topics and posts to to with the Coronavirus pandemic. Please put all relevant material in here, rather than the other boards.

How Are We Coping?

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:34 pm

Physically I'm fine (no symptoms yet)

I will still be using public transport when I absolutely have to but due to social media and news bulletins, I feel like I'm committing suicide by doing so.

I've always relied on weekly online shopping deliveries for the past ten years but can't do that anymore because there are no more delivery slots available for however long.....

And the supermarkets are empty.

I have parents and friends who probably wouldn't be able to beat the virus.

My working hours have been reduced to zero and I'm on a zero hours contract.

You get so used to being in control of everything in your life and not having to venture out of your comfort zone.
When you are forced to do so, panic sets in and you struggle to face the unknown.

So physically I'm fine but mentally, I'm not coping very well.

I can't think of anything else right now. It's taken over.

Going online is usually good but now it's so full of gloom, doom and death, I try to avoid it.

So I log in here to play the forum games and be amongst friends and it does help take my mind off it all.

I hope everyone else is feeling more positive and staying healthy.

X
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: How Are We Coping?

Postby Too occasional fan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:29 am

Difficult but good stuff, NFR.

We are in a virtual world for quite a few weeks. What should we do?

I'd say, talk to people. Voice or video, it doesn't matter. Talk. Chat, Annoy. My mum, who lives on her own, says "You're checking up on me, aren't you!" "Yes" I say, and I do it as often as I can. Video and voice.

Most of us will not die. In fact almost all of us will not. But if we carried on like the last weekend, as if it was a normal sunny spring weekend, then we'd kill hundreds of thousands of other people by collapsing the NHS. We have to stop physical contact. Now.

But we have something that no generation has had before. Virtual contact. Today I've spoken on the phone to a few strangers who need help, and the one thing I picked up in the phone call was the relief that they felt from talking to someone.

So, get on and do it.

Talk.

PM each other and swap mobile numbers, then talk.

Check what your phone contract says for minutes and texts. Call them up to increase if you don't have unlimited. They will need you afterwards.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lee A » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:05 am

Not good but ok,

I have a 60 Y/O relative with underlying health issues and she is due to have a small operation in a hospital that is "very busy with Coronavirus patients" the hospital is asking for walkie talkies to be donated to save staff having to keep wasting protective clothing.

My relative doesn't understand the virus thing much or realise how dangerous it is - i'd rather she stay far away from the hospital for now but cant tell her as i dont want to influence her decision.

Shops are empty, order online they say... Iceland and Sainsburies only deliver to vulnerable people and self isolaters - but there is no free slots... try click and collect... no slots either.

If one shop worker gets the virus they have to close for a deep clean - to me it would make sense for them to use click and collect only... as this would mean the staff are safer and reduce picking up virus from people without symptoms etc, it would cut down panic buying.

Iceland encourage you to go to the shop instead - government wants you stay at home - you cant win.

The biggest worry for me is many of the over 70s being told to stay at home could end up starving to death as Iceland, Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda don't seem to have any delivery slots in the next 5 weeks... on top of that when i went to the supermarkets the stuff my elderly neighbour wanted is all sold out, bread, eggs, carton milk, toilet rolls etc.

Basically people are risking catching the virus by going into the shops - and most them arent even buying anyting as its not in stock - they should out a sign outside saying 'out of loo rolls, soap, bread' as it would save time and possibly lives.
Lee A
Trainee
Trainee

Postby paulK » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:08 pm

For a start, we are limiting the news to the evening. Wife is restricting her social media also. Just a couple of hours in the evening.

I'm still working, offering free services for now as businesses are understandably not committing to expenditure.

Went for a longish walk today and stopped off at Tescos. They seem to have found some bottles of my favourite red so snapped them both up!

Early days so no sort of routine yet. Was thinking of taking to the hills for a couple of days but will probably just get the bike out and enjoy the sunshine.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:20 pm

My approach is fairly similar to that mentioned above, have been trying to keep myself busy and limit my exposure to the news...for my sanity more than anything else...I am loving BBC Radio 6 Music as an alternative to Radio 5 minus sport.

Cleaned and polished the car yesterday, it is now gleaming.

Today I ordered some plant seeds from Suttons and signed up to website to learn Spanish.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Went to Lidl today at 4 pm, and there were 5 cars in the car-park, plenty of goods inside , but no eggs.The wife stocked up with cheap white wine,and i helped myself to a dozen cans of Guinness. Got the bike out and blasted it across the park and back. Saw lots of people walking on their own,some joggers and some dog-walking.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:42 pm

My daughter is a bit miffed.
She works for a solicitor on probate and has been told that she must work from home.
Everybody else has been stood down on 80% pay.
So daughter must work for less money than the others are getting. [She will pay income tax and they will not]
And today and probably tomorrow she had to go to office with her laptop to have all the files downloaded.

But really I think she is pleased to have something to do. Her daughter has moved back home from university so can and will do the household chores to pass her time.

I did a good job this morning by clearing out my shed and evicting all the spiders.
Also been binge watching the Cadael series on TV.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Every day i weed the garden,pick up fallen leaves,generally tidy up and prune the hedges. Come on you weeds - start sprouting quickly.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:31 pm

Foggy wrote:….I am loving BBC Radio 6 Music

Its long been a little known pleasure.... It survived proposed cuts a few years ago and I'm sure it will be a cut target when the government cut BBC's revenue again but meanwhile, it is a great way to hear music old and new that doesn't normally get played anywhere.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 am

Agreed.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 am

I'm sure others will also come across long forgotten items within their home while being housebound.

About a decade ago my aunt and uncle both passed away. They did not have any direct descendants so I was given their personal effects.
I never got round to checking them out at the time and tucked everything away.
Yesterday while tidying up I came across these long forgotten photo albums.
One was a beautiful photo album of their wedding. They employed a professional photographer and he did them proud. Shame once I'm gone no living relative will remember them and the album will probably be dumped.

But what was even more fascinating to me was a photo album of a family meeting around 40 years ago.
Many of the photos I had never seen before. One guy was standing in the background who I initially did not recognise. After looking at him three or four times did I then realised it was yours truly.
Up until then I had not realised how much I've changed over the years. Ugly then and a lot more ugly now. :D

I'll probably pass on that album to one of my nieces in the US.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am

Things are calming down on the food front in london. The big supermarkets are now operating door access in and out, queuing marks on paving outside and plenty of stock inside.

The key thing everyone has been banging on about all week has been eggs. If you see eggs buy some. The answer has been "why? You've got half a dozen. Yeah but buy some if you see any. No."

Anyway fully stocked egg shelves yesterday.

Everyone has to resist the urge to buy more than you need of fresh stuff.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RJBora » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 pm

Timb wrote:The key thing everyone has been banging on about all week has been eggs. If you see eggs buy some. The answer has been "why? You've got half a dozen. Yeah but buy some if you see any. No."

Everyone has to resist the urge to buy more than you need of fresh stuff.

This reminds me of a tv interview over here in the states of people shopping right before our 'Shelter in Place' went into effect.

The person interviewed said, "I'm not panic buying, I'm just trying to stock up on the things I think the stores are going to run out of.'

I thought to myself, "That's pretty much the definition of panic buying."
"Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic." ~ Tryon Edwards, 1891
RJBora
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:51 pm

Picked two weeds this morning ( they were Robins fans), then went onto pruning,before enjoying the sun,then my daily bike-ride around the park.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Only one new weed this morning. Swept up leaves, cut climbing ivy from garden fence,and cut nettles from path.Can now ride bike through without getting lower legs stung.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:13 pm

I’m so pleased that you are coping with all this by killing weeds in your garden GETCARTER.

I’m just glad that I’m not a weed and will hopefully survive a bit longer!

;)
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi
If you use your nail scissors to trim your lawn, that should keep you occupied all summer, till this is nearly over.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 pm

I've had to stop watching the news. The BBC are obsessing about the virus. I know it's a major problem, but knowing exactly how many people died in which countries is not terribly useful.
So, I recommend, turn the news off, watch movie or listen to some music. Do a regular yoga routine. Meditate. Talk to real people.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:I've had to stop watching the news. The BBC are obsessing about the virus. I know it's a major problem, but knowing exactly how many people died in which countries is not terribly useful.
So, I recommend, turn the news off, watch movie or listen to some music. Do a regular yoga routine. Meditate. Talk to real people.

Agree.

I’ve been watching the 10pm news, followed by our local news all week and have been going to bed feeling sick with worry.

I didn’t watch it tonight and I’m feeling ok.
Sometimes it’s better not to know.
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:35 am

Silver Surfer wrote:I've had to stop watching the news. The BBC are obsessing about the virus. I know it's a major problem, but knowing exactly how many people died in which countries is not terribly useful.

Done much the same.
I was glued to the news at start of pandemic but stopped watching of late. Repetitious and further repetition of former news items.

As an aside, I live near a major road route into town. Obviously of late it is very quiet with little traffic.
An hour ago I'm having my cup of tea looking out of window when I see a deer calmly walking across middle of road.
I know there are deer in surrounding woods but never seen one so close to town centre.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to Coronavirus