How Are We Coping?

This board is a temporary one for topics and posts to to with the Coronavirus pandemic. Please put all relevant material in here, rather than the other boards.

Re: How Are We Coping?

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:42 am

Much the same during the Foot-and-Mouth era, when venturing up into the woodlands near Wotton hill and the Beacon, the number of deer was more noticable,as they wandered outside their usual zones,taking advantage of the lack of humans. It was a real joy in those dark days.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am

Agreed on the news front. I watch the early news weekday mornings and that's it.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:24 pm

I took up the chance to have my News paper delivered for 6 weeks, free of delivery. After using my MacGyvered attempt at an antiseptic bath and wipe down pad for all incoming mail and News paper, I am beginning to think I shouldn't have bothered. Just the same as the BBC News for half of the content. :(

Back to garden and spring maintenance jobs as a kind of mental relaxation.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:31 pm

I've just sworn at the BBC and turned it off. They showed an "expert" guiding me through how to clean my phone for the umpteenth time, and were about to embark on the Victoria Derbyshire guide to self-isolation.

I think the BBC is going to stay off till this is over.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi
Silver Surfer wrote:I've just sworn at the BBC and turned it off. They showed an "expert" guiding me through how to clean my phone for the umpteenth time, and were about to embark on the Victoria Derbyshire guide to self-isolation.

I think the BBC is going to stay off till this is over.

When was that? I must have missed it though I've had the BBC 1 on all day.

Why does a phone need cleaning?
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:47 pm

The BBC "news" channel. I was hoping for some information.

In case it's got the virus on it ???
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi
Silver Surfer wrote:The BBC "news" channel. I was hoping for some information.

In case it's got the virus on it ???

The wire isn't long enough for it to get outside.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:41 pm

No gardening today, just chilled. Very much noticable fewer people out and about, still plenty of cars though. Watched YOUTUBE music all afternoon with Christopher Cross, and Deacon Blue - whilst watching the sleet outside, had tears streaming down my cheeks listening to heart-rendering singles taking me back to happy days. Took phone-call from 9 year old grand-daughter to say pet lamb was found dead this morning - absolutely distraught, how life is so fragile,as we know.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 pm

I see that the BBC has brought back The Green Goddess for a few minutes on Breakfast Time.

It's given me the idea of being The Forest Green Goddess in my green leotard, just gentle finger exercises, that should stop boredom setting in as you rush with your fingers to switch me off.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:49 pm

How you keeping H?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:How you keeping H?

I'm doing okay at the moment Fartvs Antiqvvs, not bad for an oldie. Have been self isolating now for 3 weeks. but playing I spy with yourself is getting a bit boring, especially as I've started losing against myself.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Into the second week and wife not bored yet. Getting out everyday for a 3 to 4-mile walk. Seem to be more cars on the road today. A bit surprising really.

Keep the news limited to the six-o'clock. Stay away from it in other respects, though I see the F1 team are going to make CPAP machines as part of the cause. Nice to know I'm already prepared ;)

Best wishes to all. Keep safe.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:34 pm

GETCARTER wrote:No gardening today, just chilled. Very much noticable fewer people out and about, still plenty of cars though. Watched YOUTUBE music all afternoon with Christopher Cross, and Deacon Blue - whilst watching the sleet outside, had tears streaming down my cheeks listening to heart-rendering singles taking me back to happy days. Took phone-call from 9 year old grand-daughter to say pet lamb was found dead this morning - absolutely distraught, how life is so fragile,as we know.

That's really sad.
How come she had a pet lamb? Does she live on a farm?

If so, hopefully she will get another.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 am

Just finished my fourth crossword / puzzle book in bed this morning. As Peter Kay says "That's the way forward, " along with garlic bread.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:23 am

I know the BBC doesn't get everything right and we don't need to watch the news more than once a day, BUT compared to most countries' media coverage, BBC are doing a great job. Shame they often start with headlining the deaths recorded in the previous 24 hours

Social media does contain a lot of 'fake news' but some of the 'gallows humour', altruistic deeds & songs are brilliant. Here's my current favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf4XxnL ... t82a43jmKc

Nailsworth Town Council has done so well with its organising of volunteers. I had to smile when my daughter was given an elderly couple to shop for who only eat vegan, organic and gluten free food. It was quite an expedition for her but she succeeded...and they were very grateful for her efforts.

Trump gets worse....now boasting about his country testing more of its citizens than any other country. Just wrong, Italy & South Korea outstrip the US, & why boast about it anyway?
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
Nailsworth Town Council has done so well with its organising of volunteers. I had to smile when my daughter was given an elderly couple to shop for who only eat vegan, organic and gluten free food. It was quite an expedition for her but she succeeded...and they were very grateful for her efforts.

Top notch that P/F. How the heck do you pay the volunteer for your shopping bill. C/C, cheque, cash when locked at home and self distancing?

And how do you present the list to the volunteer?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
Top notch that P/F. How the heck do you pay the volunteer for your shopping bill. C/C, cheque, cash when locked at home and self distancing?

The list was related over the phone...it took ages. Complications were 'steradent' which she'd never heard of and they had to spell it out, AND smelt flour which she heard as spark flour!

Payment was by cheque....which she VERY rarely receives these days.

Hope you are well and have everything you need F.A.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi
I smelt something fishy in the spelt.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:

The list was related over the phone...it took ages. Complications were 'steradent' which she'd never heard of and they had to spell it out, AND smelt flour which she heard as spark flour!

Payment was by cheque....which she VERY rarely receives these days.

Hope you are well and have everything you need F.A.

Fantastic effort by your daughter, PF. We've struggled with dealing with payment for shopping. Cash is potentially an infection problem and if possible we want to avoid volunteers handing helpline callers bank cards. Ideally callers arrange payment with the shops, but there is no easy way of dealing with this. As the lockdown progresses we will probably have to deal with this more often.

The volunteers in town and the NTC team and others who have joined it have been amazing. Brilliant community!
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:14 pm

HOW DOES THIS WORK ?

This self isolation, because of the coronavirus, has caused me another problem. I have two lovely ladies that come to my house every fortnight to do my cleaning. My friends laugh at me as I always spend the whole evening before, cleaning up ready for the cleaners, well I do have some standards you know.

They usually kick me out for the hour they are here, so I go down to the next village for a cuppa with my best friend. Now of course they are not coming here until the end of this isolation, so I had to get the equipment out for myself.

They have been coming to my home for years but it looks like I'm going to have to learn again what to do. Firstly I couldn't find the automatic WIFI button so that it could go off by itself. I tried speaking into the black item with metal pins, again it didn't move.

I decided to put it back away in the cupboard and await an instruction manual. I've also message my ladies requesting they purchase some good wellies as I can't guarantee what state my bungalow will be in at the end of all this.

May I also apologise to all you viewers for my scruffy appearance today, my beautician and hair stylist have also not been lately. (Cough), no it's not the virus.

I doing alright still.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Coronavirus