Richard Joyce made redundant?

All about our First Team

Re: Richard Joyce made redundant?

Postby Mothy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 am

Yes you maybe right LadyM ...I am a new tinnitus sufferer, maybe I should sue Joycie as I was only a row or so in front of him. ;)

Perhaps my critic of it could have been more constructive and less provocative. If he could try and make it a bit more punchy next time that would be super.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby camel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 am

I thought the new lad did a good job, particularly with the long and wordy statement regarding Barcelona. Good luck to him and well done for trying to put his own stamp on it, rather than taking Joycies trademarks.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:07 am

Well I'm 'mutt & jeff' but heard the announcement. So, that's a 10 from me!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Welsh Exile » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am

Always hard to step into the shoes of popular and experienced people, I am sure the new announcer will develop his own style over time.
Welsh Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:12 pm

from the little i know ,understand and observe, Joycie did a massive amount for the club and every credit to him in the world.

I would just add that the shouty - 'come on you rovers' pre-match stuff, and downbeat goal announcements for the opposition, lacked a bit of class -just the exuberance of youth probably.

The slightly more restrained and neutral approach currently , sits alot better with me.
could never see what was to be gained by winding up the opposition players and supporters with very biased shouty announcements
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Spike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm

I disagree with the rather archaic post above, I thought it added to the match day experience and the atmosphere which can be rather 'subdued'
at times.
Spike
Youth
Youth

Postby Mothy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:38 pm

My observation, if I can call it that, was only in respect of the announcement immediately preceding kick off. It just wasn't quite right somehow, I remember thinking this at the time. Unfortunately, no action replay to listen to. I'm also not saying it should be the same as Joycie's "Come on you Rovers" either.

Announcement of away scorers being changed to be more even handed I think is better and no issues with any other announcements that I can recall.

Just the pre kick off one needs work. Why do we need one? What is its purpose? Is it to gee up the home supporters? If so decide what to say, make it punchy and practice lots.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby camel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:19 pm

I see we have a new media man in the form of Matt Edwards who is from a Swindon rag and as I understand used to report on Swindon when Cooper was in charge. Small world eh?!

Should say welcome to the club.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:46 pm

camel wrote:I see we have a new media man in the form of Matt Edwards who is from a Swindon rag and as I understand used to report on Swindon when Cooper was in charge. Small world eh?!

Should say welcome to the club.

There’s a surprise!!!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Given the comments on other threads about issues regarding the passage of information between the club and supporters surely it is time for someone at the club to bite the bullet and admit that getting rid of Joycie was a huge mistake...I say bring him back!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:20 pm

Here, Here.....
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Yep!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Get a grip who cares!!! Sort out the team we need to stay up couldn't care less who's asking the questions to cooper.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:00 am

Foggy wrote:Given the comments on other threads about issues regarding the passage of information between the club and supporters surely it is time for someone at the club to bite the bullet and admit that getting rid of Joycie was a huge mistake...I say bring him back!

From feedback that I have been given, Joycie would not come back.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby mbroadbent » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:37 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Foggy wrote:Given the comments on other threads about issues regarding the passage of information between the club and supporters surely it is time for someone at the club to bite the bullet and admit that getting rid of Joycie was a huge mistake...I say bring him back!

From feedback that I have been given, Joycie would not come back.

well considering he didnt apply for the job i think your right!

btw he was made redundant, his role was and it needed to evolve - its unfortunate he even though hes a top bloke, the role need to change
mbroadbent
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Foggy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:36 am

I accept that he was made redundant, and clearly have no idea why he chose not to apply for the new role, maybe he just felt it was time to move on and try something different. He was undoubtedly totally committed to the club and it isn't hard to find people willing to praise his efforts, he was Rovers through and through. I just feel at a time when there seems to be a continuing disconnect at all levels, which is not helping our efforts to unite and give us the best chance of staying in the division, that he was the type of person needed to help join things together again. It may sound like I am clutching at straws here, but I'm starting to worry when even the fans start shouting abuse at players rather than getting behind them, something needs to be done and quickly.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:48 am

As mentioned in the recent posts, I don't think there is any question of Joycie returning, welcome though that might be for many.

Unfortunately the improvements that the media & communications restructure was presumably intended to achieve have not worked. I am sorry to say that for most, there has been a step backwards.

Joycie's role was a one off. Enthusiastic student/volunteer/fan who tackled everything thrown at him with a will. He seemed to be everywhere, his face was familiar to most fans as was his voice. He probably worked too hard and his role no doubt needed to reviewed with the additional burden thrown up by EFL. But his personality had framed the job - 'can do', 'up for a challenge', congenial and always 'fronting up'; FGR through and through. The quality of match highlights he produced by 2017 were exceptional. And when Richard could not cover an issue, AussieStu was usually on hand

So, whilst the duties may now be covered, most of the best aspects Richard and Stu embraced have not. And that is why people keep harking back to what they used to do.

Concern about 'poor communication' is the recurrent theme on this Forum in recent months. The post holder(s?) are not generally known and that cannot be a good thing in a Media & Communication job where the person in post is often the 'face' or voice of the club. A starting point would be putting faces, names and contact details up on the website then ensuring 'they' are prominent and labelled on match days.

I hope that this important aspect of the Club's affairs gets the attention it deserves
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:22 pm

I also think Joicie was a massive loss to the club and its relationship with fans. I think at the time and probably now they do not recognise just how important such a role is. Looking at other clubs with charismatic managers they carry this mantle but this is clearly not the case with Cooper from his all round demeanour and body language the club must find an alternative. At the time Joicie left there was a lot of talk about his role changing. Whether the emphasis moved more to eco/green stuff and less about fan liaison which was Joicies best role , we can only speculate. What seems to happen whenever there is some kind of upset with the fans is a torrent of posts giving numerous opinions posted as 'facts'. This is followed by a deafening silence from the club who could often resolve matters quickly if the chose to.
One of the reasons many of us hate this is we (the fans) see ourselves as the life blood of the football club whereas the owners/management do not agree. This will rumble on I'm sure whatever I think. I just ask that everyone posting on the forum reads their posts carefully and tries to avoid personal comment. It is a thin line to tread but sometimes posts are made which are blatantly hurtful.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to FGR First Team