FGR v Swansea in Checkatrade Trophy

All about our First Team

FGR v Swansea in Checkatrade Trophy

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:56 pm

FGR play a Swansea U21 team on Tuesday in final game of the Checkatrade Trophy group matches. Both clubs are guaranteed progress to Round 2, each having already beaten Newport & Cheltenham.
However Tuesday’s match remains important because it determines that group winner will have a home game in Round 2.

Swansea, as a Premiership team, must play all their group matches away from home. They have beaten both Newport and Cheltenham by 2-1 scoreline.
FGR qualified by two wins: FGR 2-0 Newport, Cheltenham 1-2 FGR.
No game can end in a 90 minute draw, a penalty shootout will ensue. Therefore goal difference matters not.

Not sure whether game is attractive enough to fill TNL, but it is one where winner will get £10,000.
A home tie in Round 2 would be advantageous to FGR for that £20,000 win bonus and chance for a £40,000 win bonus in Round 3.
It would be great if TNL has one of its better attendances with the Green Army in good voice.

Difficult to predict forecast of game but I think FGR will win.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: FGR v Swansea in Checkatrade Trophy

Postby Tommo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for the info OTC. I certainly will be there and hope that MC takes it seriously.

I'm sure he will give a run out to a few fringe players (Randall, Wishart, Roberts, Bugiel, Gomes, and maybe Mullings), I expect Monthe to get a game too and that Traore and Osbourne at least will be rested. I hope Doidge is given a break too but I expect he will want to play.

Whether so much change will weaken the team too much I don't know - its hard to know what strength Swansea will have but I expect there will be a few players ready to prove themselves.

Hoping for a close and entertaining game anyway.... and, yes, another win would be very welcome given that it would guarantee another home game.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Should be an entertaining game and a great opportunity for the fringe players to impress.

Tommo wrote:
I'm sure he will give a run out to a few fringe players (Randall, Wishart, Roberts, Bugiel, Gomes, and maybe Mullings), I expect Monthe to get a game too and that Traore and Osbourne at least will be rested. I hope Doidge is given a break too but I expect he will want to play.

I would agree with leaving out Traore, Doidge and Osbourne . I'd like to see Bugiel, Manny and Luke James start with the others you mention on the bench. Hope we see Mullings and also Jordan Stevens on as subs.

I'd like to think there will be 500+ through the turnstiles and we keep up our winning run to guarantee us a home tie in the next round.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Tommo wrote:Thanks for the info OTC. I certainly will be there and hope that MC takes it seriously.

Whether so much change will weaken the team too much I don't know - its hard to know what strength Swansea will have but I expect there will be a few players ready to prove themselves.

Hoping for a close and entertaining game anyway.... and, yes, another win would be very welcome given that it would guarantee another home game.
I will be there too, I hope to get a chance to see Gomes play.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgrbob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm

It may not be top of our thoughts but we are on a run and remember confidence comes from winning games so another victory would be good
fgrbob
Youth
Youth

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:09 am

Interesting to note that in the recent Development game, Omar played in a central-midfield position, and had an outstanding game,according to Manager. Possibly might be to look at him there against the Swans. Look forward to another close victory.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am

FGR 2-1 Swansea u21's
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:08 pm

FGR 2 Swans 1
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Norton Boy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Hard one to predict as we dont know what team we will put out.With us already in the next round i am hoping MC will rest a lot of the starting 11 as we dont want any injuries and it will also be good for the rest of the squad to get some match time.1-1
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:44 am

FGR 4 Swans 0
Last edited by NewForestRover on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby candy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:16 am

FGR 4-2 Swansea u21's
candy
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR123 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:45 am

2-1
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 am

FGR 0 Sygnets 2
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TheFarmcotian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am

Haven't posted much recently but just to say that I, and several other regulars will still be boycotting this competition for what its potential to alter the future of the EFL and even non-league football. And sorry, as a vilified Guardian reader (in these pages at least) since the age of 12 we do stick to our principles.
Time is but an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.
TheFarmcotian
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 am

Is the Swansea game tonite going to be broadcast on the pay-per-listen-from-the- computer service?.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby chrism » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 am

1 1
chrism
Youth
Youth

Postby Earl » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:56 pm

FGR 4 Swansea 3

Blimey, TheFarmcotian’s been reading the Guardian since the age of twelve. I understand why he’s rigidly sticking to his principles.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:28 pm

if collins not playing tonight,probably won't play 5 at the back-but pleasing to read on official home page, that cooper is currently advocating 5 at the back-at least for league games.

defence comes first-just don't concede the nil-and everything else falls into place.
you only need to score once to win a game if you don't concede-hardly rocket science

5 at the back-love it
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:30 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Is the Swansea game tonite going to be broadcast on the pay-per-listen-from-the- computer service?.

The other two games were so I guess it depends whether or not they've fixed it.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:05 pm

Many thanks.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Next

Return to FGR First Team