Waddle Gets Lost In The Forest

All about our First Team

Waddle Gets Lost In The Forest

Postby Donegal Rover » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:31 pm

I wonder if anybody has a copy of the Sun back page when they had the headline "Waddle Gets Lost In The Forest" It was when the Worksop FC team coach turned up at Forest Green in Surrey, when we played them in the 2001 FA Trophy Q Final. Chris Waddle was a player for them. We won, it was also remembered for the famous coin throwing story.

Thanks in advance.

A few of us made a pilgrimage to it once on an away day.

http://www.forestgreenvillage.co.uk/history.php
Donegal Rover
Youth
Youth

Re: Waddle Gets Lost In The Forest

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:39 pm

I was at the game, and remember the tale of the away coach going to Forest Green in Surrey, missing the game at the The lawn completely. I obtained Chris Waddles autograph in my England book as he came off the pitch at the end. ( i did think that it was Bamber Bridge as opposition ).I do recall we won easily, and went onto the final against Canvey Island up at Villa Park.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Donegal Rover » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:09 pm

GETCARTER wrote:.I do recall we won easily, and went onto the final against Canvey Island up at Villa Park.
And that was a game I would like to forget !!!

Forest Green is a real nice place, they have a village green and pub, and many of the locals follow our fortunes. But many travailing fans have ended up there by mistake.

Donegal Rover
Youth
Youth

Postby andymac26 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 pm

.....waited 16 years to put that disastrous canvey island game to bed....we were dour that day, even with tony daley.

Funny when we criticise occasional performances now, when considering some of the chaff we've seen over the years in comparison. Gives you a sense of perspective.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Wasn't it the supporters coach that went to Forest Green in Surrey.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Donegal Rover » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:Wasn't it the supporters coach that went to Forest Green in Surrey.

Did they not share the coach, like we did with the players & directors in the good old days?
I am sure it was a late KO. I think I have the newspaper somewhere in an box of memorabilia.
Donegal Rover
Youth
Youth

Postby Seat C32 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 pm

My recognition of that game was twofold. One was Chris Waddle standing for about 90 mins. on one side of the halfway line and Chris Burns on the other. Add their ages together and it was about 84. They spent most of the afternoon talking to each other and not moving much at all. The other was some load mouth clown from Worksop who was sitting in front of us in the main stand telling us all that their chairman was the second richest man in the UK and was going to get them into the Premiership within 10 years!!! I believe he left them bust after a couple of months.

I also believe that it was one of their supporters coaches that finished up in Epping Forest instead of Nailsworth, not the team coach. Wasn't there trouble in the clubhouse bar as well which lead to their coaches blocking Spring Hill for ages after the game?
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:59 am

Hi
Epping forest is "nearly" as far from the the other Forest Green as Nailsworth is.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am

The old wife's tale I heard was that it was early days of sat navigation. The supporter's coach driver typed in Forest Green, and because only one came up, that's where he went. Forest Green in Surrey.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andywhiting69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Team coACH arrived on time but 1 of the supportrs coaches didnt , from memory they brought about 5 coaches .
remember chris waddle not running about too much marked out of the game by chris burns . think we won about 4-1
best wishes
andy
andywhiting69
Reserves
Reserves

Postby DARTH » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm

I was at The Lawn a tale of two Chris's and ours won the duel - oh happy days !!
DARTH
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Donegal Rover » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Seat C32 wrote:I also believe that it was one of their supporters coaches that finished up in Epping Forest instead of Nailsworth, not the team coach. Wasn't there trouble in the clubhouse bar as well which lead to their coaches blocking Spring Hill for ages after the game?

Sorry SeatC32 but I know for a fact it ended up in Forest Green Village not Epping Forest. I do not recall trouble in the club, but there was bitter blood between our clubs for years after, due to the coin throwing incident with Steve Perrin in goal.
Donegal Rover
Youth
Youth

Postby Ninja Hamster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Didn't the Worksop game have trouble. I vaguely remember, a fight in their end. At half time their supports didn't like not being able to move to the other end due to segregation, so after kicking it for a while they got onto the pitch and walked around it.

We went the other way round and there was blood on the terrace from their fight and a big Police presence by the end of the game...
Ninja Hamster
Youth
Youth

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Ninja Hamster wrote:Didn't the Worksop game have trouble. I vaguely remember, a fight in their end. At half time their supports didn't like not being able to move to the other end due to segregation, so after kicking it for a while they got onto the pitch and walked around it.

We went the other way round and there was blood on the terrace from their fight and a big Police presence by the end of the game...

Yes, that's right. They brought a load of morons who were tanked up and just there to cause hassle. Right scummy turdhouse of a club, they were.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi
Then they turned up at Gainsborough for the Trophy Round 4 game in 2003 just to have another go at Steve P.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:19 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Ninja Hamster wrote:Didn't the Worksop game have trouble. I vaguely remember, a fight in their end. At half time their supports didn't like not being able to move to the other end due to segregation, so after kicking it for a while they got onto the pitch and walked around it.

Yes, that's right. They brought a load of morons who were tanked up and just there to cause hassle. Right scummy turdhouse of a club, they were.

Haha. It was a lot of fun on the night shoving the result at them
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Donegal Rover » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Then they turned up at Gainsborough for the Trophy Round 4 game in 2003 just to have another go at Steve P.

I remember for years after we dreaded being drawing against them again.
Donegal Rover
Youth
Youth

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 pm

My memory of this game is a very large Worksop fan sitting next to Mrs S. He spent the first half giving us all his opinions about when Worksop would be a premiership club. He was so fat that he "overflowed" onto Mrs S's seat. At one point she asked him how many seats he had bought. His answer was "one", at which point Mrs S asked him to therefore only occupy one.

Apologies if sizist comments contravene forum rules.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Donegal Rover » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:16 pm

I would still like to know if anybody has the press clipping?
Donegal Rover
Youth
Youth

Postby John Whiffen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm

I’m pretty sure we had a young fan aged 15 who was beaten up by them.
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to FGR First Team