Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Don't bite OTC. There's no point. Most people on this forum are true supporters of FGR and interested in constructive debate. One person however is rather inadequate and feels the need to use this board (and others) to prove that he is really very clever and therefore must always have the last word.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Always the way, isn't it, SS? Ask questions of the status quo, you get upset!
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 pm

I honestly don't have enough information to know for sure whether the stadium move is a good one or not. I assume that DV and co will have considered many things including about fans moving with the club. My gut feeling is Dale is right. I also imagine many fans will move with the club to its new venue, though I understand the reservations of those who won't.

Fundamentally in an idealists world you would never move a club, but football has changed and the owner has a duty of care and responsibility to give the club a longer term future.

Aside from whether fans will move, the new stadium will almost certainly improve the stadiums ability to generate other income (e.g. conference facilities) to make it work more days of the week. That seems essential these days.

Another big factor is the suggestion our training facilities will be part of the development which is a big step forward for the first team, ladies team and youth teams. It also gives some of those facilities for public use, another good initiative.

There are valid questions raised about stadium ownership etc but as it stands any rent income etc would be cutting off Dales nose to spite his face in many regards. Longer term it would require Dale to sell the club but retain the stadium to have any significant impact.

The stadium design is unique at least and won't look like the majority of others. Arguably the commute to training and games will be easier for many players too. This combined will surely help recruitment?

Having seen the problems with the application already I give credit to DV for starting the process now.

I reckon there are plenty of fans who would love their club to be on the journey we are. A forward thinking, aspirational owner willing to invest and who takes an active interest and watches games. Some FGR fans will enjoy our journey, some won't. There are good arguments to be had along the way I'm sure. But my overall feeling, the more I think about it, is I'm happy with the ideas and hope we get to see them through.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby The Game Within » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm

I thought this thread was about the FA CUP.
The Game Within
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Haha

On the stadium and its need, I guess we all will have a view. In the end we either trust our own personal instincts and prejudices on the basis of limited knowledge or we trust DV and the analysis he will have done to aim to turn a profit and advance his aim of giving a bigger platform for his messages.

Meanwhile, Crawley next.....
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 pm

:ugeek: it was
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:01 pm

Anyway. Moving away from the new stadium for a moment (sorry I mean the FA cup), back to national and global issues. I've just been reading the different takes on the news worldwide today, from different newspaper sources on the way back from FGR to London. Enlightenment personified. Guess which papers.

"UK snow forecast: Latest maps show FREEZING polar blast engulfing Britain in next 48 hours" translated means it's autumn and looks like we're going to have a cold snap. Panic... Sorry, Don't Panic.

"World War 3 fears as Saudi Arabia PULLS citizens from Lebanon" Interesting. The Orange Man has been in the area lately selling really big weapons. Somebody's got to use them or there's no repeat business. Hold on. There might be a flaw to that argument. Let's do a different kind of deal.

Looking forward to Exeter City in the FA Cup as long as we're not snowed in and world war 3 hasn't started.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 pm

Timb wrote:"World War 3 fears as Saudi Arabia PULLS citizens from Lebanon" Interesting. The Orange Man has been in the area lately selling really big weapons. Somebody's got to use them or there's no repeat business. Hold on. There might be a flaw to that argument. Let's do a different kind of deal.

Has to be the Express, without a doubt!
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Correct. I have to admit I've only ever bought a handful of papers in my life. No time for that kind if thing. Other than reading a myriad of papers left on trains.

I only recently discovered that if you Google "trump news" or "brexit news" or "latest news" you are presented with the latest news spun by different editors across the spectrum and across the world. It's extremely enlightening. I'm absolutely certain that people buy a paper that reinforces their opinion rather than challenges it. The Interweb had opened up a whole new way of taking in the news. It's very revealing. Especially Fox News' view that the way to solve the gun problem in the USA is give every mother a gun.

Googling Forest Green Rovers News can also sometimes be interesting. Anyway. Nearly home. Roll on Saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 am

Timb wrote:Correct. I have to admit I've only ever bought a handful of papers in my life. No time for that kind if thing. Other than reading a myriad of papers left on trains.

I only recently discovered that if you Google "trump news" or "brexit news" or "latest news" you are presented with the latest news spun by different editors across the spectrum and across the world. It's extremely enlightening. I'm absolutely certain that people buy a paper that reinforces their opinion rather than challenges it. The Interweb had opened up a whole new way of taking in the news. It's very revealing. Especially Fox News' view that the way to solve the gun problem in the USA is give every mother a gun.

Googling Forest Green Rovers News can also sometimes be interesting. Anyway. Nearly home. Roll on Saturday.

Don't forget "Google Alerts" either. I have set up numerous alerts for topics that I'm interested in, one of which is of course "Forest Green Rovers".
So I receive every 24 hours an email from google for FGR with a hyperlink list (each with a short text topic header) of all places where "Forest Green Rovers" has been mentioned in the previous 24 hrs - anywhere on the web. Some days there may be just a couple of links included, others there may be more.
It's all free, and it does give you an easy way of keeping up to date with your favourite subjects.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Love it when the old brigade learn new tricks.
Well done John.
A man ahead of his time.
See you soon.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm

And Tim was always ahead of his time by about two decades.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby John Whiffen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Timb wrote:Anyway. Moving away from the new stadium for a moment (sorry I mean the FA cup), back to national and global issues. I've just been reading the different takes on the news worldwide today, from different newspaper sources on the way back from FGR to London. Enlightenment personified. Guess which papers.

Looking forward to Exeter City in the FA Cup as long as we're not snowed in and world war 3 hasn't started.

That was a slow train you took Tim, Saturday to Thursday !!!

Make sure you leave London by Tuesday for the Exeter game or you’ll miss it :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Supporters Club meeting last night John.

The longest journey back I have done was from the Exeter City FA Cup replay. I got the 1.30am sleeper train back to London but Just with a seat and got back around 6 in the morning. Then meeting. God I felt Bad. Lost. No sleep, bad mood.

I'd had a good few sherberts in the club bar and then went for a curry with a group of ECFC fans around 10.30. It turned out it was the then chairman (the one that got put away for fraud before the club collapsed and became supporter owned) . Then an hour wait on a freezing cold deserted platform waiting for the train. Lots of beer, ok curry, cold and no bed for the night. I haven't contemplated doing it again since.

But who knows eh? I know I can get back to London after the game.....
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Timb wrote:"World War 3 fears as Saudi Arabia PULLS citizens from Lebanon" Interesting. The Orange Man has been in the area lately selling really big weapons. Somebody's got to use them or there's no repeat business. Hold on. There might be a flaw to that argument. Let's do a different kind of deal.

Has to be the Express, without a doubt!

I found a copy of the express once which actually didn't have a Diana story in it. Well, not on the first 3 pages. Discarded it promptly before I got any further.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 pm

[quote="Timb"]Supporters Club meeting last night John.

Explanation accepted Tim !!
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to FGR First Team