Match thread from Sincil Bank (Lincoln City FC)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Sincil Bank (Link City FC)

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:52 am

As to the football, another game in which Rovers met a stiff test and were easily the better team. But were undone in ways so typical of our season ...

Lincoln supporters near me were appreciative of how Rovers played. "You are in a false position" said several. I thanked them for their words, but replied that we are not. For all our pretty football, we are constantly undone by elementary errors at the back and despite creating many promising positions only one player has the confidence to shoot. Yesterday was Rovers season compressed into 94 minutes

If the strong rumours are correct, a new keeper is due in shortly. If so, Bradley Collins will have endured a 5 month trial by fire and TV and will leave the starting XI shell shocked. Most will believe that he should have been Sam's understudy not vice versa and whilst the defence generally has improved, his weaknesses have been ruthlessly exploited by our opponents. Yesterday was Groundhog day. Goal 1 - starts to come for a cross then freezes - his defence is fooled and caught flat footed. Goal 2 - dreadful kick to the opposing winger just as the team had Lincoln back peddling.

Undoubtedly Bradley has ability - 2 or 3 of his saves yesterday drew gasps of admiration from all. But then, so did Farmer's. The difference was that Farmer is physically stronger, confident 'on the ball' and kicks well and accurately. Bradley has to improve these areas or recognise that his cat-like abilities will not be enough to secure a future in the professional game. I wish him every success but rue the cost to Rovers' season.

Other than a wobbly 15 minutes before half time - when all Rovers players passed the ball accurately to Lincoln players at every opportunity - Rovers had the better of their 'physical' opponents and played some good football. There were plenty of mistakes but always they were recovered by team mates. Lee Collins, Ozzy and Christian Doidge were outstanding. Manny, Reece Brown, Charlie Cooper and Dan Wishart made plenty of mistakes but kept going and kept improving. Even the berated Mark Roberts was sound

Scott Laird does not want for effort. But it is exasperating to see him turn inside when Dan is free to his left, and his cross-field passing and dead ball plays are not up to scratch. Dan is our best 'crosser' at the moment and Scott should play him in more often. Luke James I just don't get. Works hard but to what end? Reece Brown is Jekyll & Hyde. He has improved immensely, has an evasive drifting run and with Ozzy & Cooper works himself into promising positions at the top of the penalty area - he did so time and again yesterday. But then indecision strikes - "should I shoot or pass" - and while the cogs click over he does neither. But he is a young, steadily emerging player who gets better with every outing - simply he underlines that we have no goalscoring midfielder to back up Doidge.

KMB has received a lot of criticism of late. He has been playing with a thigh injury that limits his shooting, so carrying and recycling has been his role. Once into the game as subs, he and Jordan Stevens were instrumental in Rovers racking up the pressure in the last 20 minutes, but Farmer and poor finishing meant the game was not saved.

So, against a bruising and confident home side and a noisy 9,000 supporters, Rovers were genuinely unfortunate. Good but ultimately died by their own hands. If the transfer window enables that problem to be solved, the near future may not be as bleak as it currently seems. Man of the match? - probably Doidge for his well taken goal and several near misses but I reckon Ozzy was the best player on the pitch by a country mile and Lee Collins was terrific too

Now, lets show that without a homing referee allowing Akinfenwa free rein, Rovers can chalk up a vital 3 points
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:54 am

agree with everything you say fgr2016, but then for me you go and spoil your post in the last 7 words be being another who is endeavouring to impose their opinion on others, and tell/dictate to some supporters (who i may not always agree with-but respect their right to have a view ) to take their support elsewhere.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby phil2010 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks to Chrisgump11 for The balanced views on yesterday’s game. It almost sounds as if B Collins may have played his last game for us. Where is Sam?
phil2010
Trainee
Trainee

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:23 pm

I get fed up of people saying we were the better team or we put in a good performance. we create very few chances and knocking it about at the back when teams are happy enough to let you is not being the better team! Being the better team is creating more chances to score for goodness sake...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:30 pm

Unfortunately some fans don't look into it, teams love giving us possession, all they do is sit back let us knock it from side to side then switch on as soon as it's near our 18 yard box and counter. Just because we have possession doesn't mean we're in control. The sooner people realise this the better. If we had control we'd be winning games.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Not the usual case yesterday. We went close on several occasions before the first goal and in the last quarter a brilliant save by the keeper denied Doidge and a goal was disallowed too

I have made the point continuously that promising positions at the edge of the box fail for lack of shooting or 'one more pass'. This term, we have just one regular goalscorer and it is glaring. But that is the main point - our opponents strike on goal from similar positions and we know the rest. It is not the possession play that is ineffective, it is all except one player being shot shy.

KMB's injury is inhibiting but somehow we have to get contributions from centre backs, full backs and midfielders. Last term, Dale Bennett, Clough, Ellis, Pinnock, Monthe, Noble, Bugiel & others all chipped in behind KMB and Doidge. This year we rely on the killer pass to Doidge and little else. Shots may be wayward but they also cause deflections and second opportunities. If you don't try you cannot score

Contrary to some comments, Rovers showed heart aplenty yesterday and in the last 20 minutes Lincoln could not get out of their half. We were very unlucky not to equalise. That is my point about Reece Brown - he is developing fast and will I think become a goalscorer. Yet whilst he takes up the right positions he does not trust himself to shoot. Then again, nor does Ozzy, Charlie, James, Dan, Lee and the rest of the team. That is mystifying.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:26 pm

Let's wait and see what the new year brings.

Significant additions and reductions are needed to get the balance right.

It's true that the failsafe mode of our style is round and round in circles in our own half, when nothing else is on or when the midfield and front runners don't see eye to eye, or have the foresight to see what's possible.

The good run we had as Isaiah Osbourne settled in and started driving things forward shows there's nothing wrong with the tactics.

That leaves coaching or players needing tweaking rather than tactics.

I'm far happier with our style of play now than at any other time in the conference other than under Jim Harvey. The coaching looks fine to me.

So that leaves the players. And among the players there is one massive elephant in the room. Charlie Cooper. It doesn't matter whether Charlie is the best or worst midfielder in League 2, he's the manager's son and so there will be cries of nepotism irrespective of game performance. Should charlie stay or should charlie go? In my opinion it would be great to see Charlie move onwards and upwards and remove the question mark. Or if Charlie stays then make a new years resolution to have the belief to see and play more forward passes.

In my opinion it's the midfield that needs a strong addition as much as anything else, with the ability to see a forward pass and be brave enough to play it, sure about the ability to complete it.

The balance isn't far wrong. If CG is correct and a replacement keeper is on his way, then that's excellent news.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:Not the usual case yesterday. We went close on several occasions before the first goal and in the last quarter a brilliant save by the keeper denied Doidge and a goal was disallowed too

I have made the point continuously that promising positions at the edge of the box fail for lack of shooting or 'one more pass'. This term, we have just one regular goalscorer and it is glaring. But that is the main point - our opponents strike on goal from similar positions and we know the rest. It is not the possession play that is ineffective, it is all except one player being shot shy.

KMB's injury is inhibiting but somehow we have to get contributions from centre backs, full backs and midfielders. Last term, Dale Bennett, Clough, Ellis, Pinnock, Monthe, Noble, Bugiel & others all chipped in behind KMB and Doidge. This year we rely on the killer pass to Doidge and little else. Shots may be wayward but they also cause deflections and second opportunities. If you don't try you cannot score

Contrary to some comments, Rovers showed heart aplenty yesterday and in the last 20 minutes Lincoln could not get out of their half. We were very unlucky not to equalise. That is my point about Reece Brown - he is developing fast and will I think become a goalscorer. Yet whilst he takes up the right positions he does not trust himself to shoot. Then again, nor does Ozzy, Charlie, James, Dan, Lee and the rest of the team. That is mystifying.

I think that mystery may be cleared up within the next 31 days (or maybe fewer) - perhaps the team have been instructed to ensure that they make a final pass to Doidge, rather than shooting themselves. The more he scores (even if we lose) the greater his value...

Tim
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tim13 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Timb wrote:So that leaves the players. And among the players there is one massive elephant in the room. Charlie Cooper. It doesn't matter whether Charlie is the best or worst midfielder in League 2, he's the manager's son and so there will be cries of nepotism irrespective of game performance. Should charlie stay or should charlie go? In my opinion it would be great to see Charlie move onwards and upwards and remove the question mark. Or if Charlie stays then make a new years resolution to have the belief to see and play more forward passes.

I agree with you Tim. Charlie is a fine player but he has weaknesses and the fact that he is the manager's son will always have a small but adverse psychological effect on the rest of the squad. In a league of fine margins, it is enough to tip the balance against us -as has already been illustrated by the performance stats when he was out injured compared to when he was playing. This is in no way his fault but I would also like to see him move onwards and upwards.

Tim
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgr2016 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:07 pm

I agree I do not think we are too far away from a side that can push in this league.

I quite like that we are a club willing to promote talent from further down the pyramid. It's clear though that some more experience especially in goal is required. Mark Roberts and Scott Laird are quickly becoming liabilities for the club, effort great but just not fitting in.. - Lee Collins less so but I still don't quite understand the fanfare about him. We still never replaced Clough properly and there is still a Pinnock sized hole in CD.

If our defense was more robust, our centre midlfield might not have to act as bouncers which in turn would mean we could drive forward MORE. DT and IO are an extremely effective partnership and would be even more so if they can worry less about bouncing and more about how they can pass the team forward.

As for my comment earlier about presence...i wish to make it clear that I'm not talking about those who wish to have a healthy debate... But there are those with a clear vendetta - against DV, against Cooper...who all he has to do some days is sneeze in the wrong way. Not saying that he is angel and does everything right and indeed I enjoy the former. However, I wonder why those who are the latter continue to spend their money and energy hating when there are 100+ other clubs that they might enjoy following as oppose to ruining it for the rest...
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:58 pm

garyjj wrote:Unfortunately some fans don't look into it, teams love giving us possession, all they do is sit back let us knock it from side to side then switch on as soon as it's near our 18 yard box and counter. Just because we have possession doesn't mean we're in control. The sooner people realise this the better. If we had control we'd be winning games.

Quite right!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby The Cumbrian » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
garyjj wrote:Unfortunately some fans don't look into it, teams love giving us possession, all they do is sit back let us knock it from side to side then switch on as soon as it's near our 18 yard box and counter. Just because we have possession doesn't mean we're in control. The sooner people realise this the better. If we had control we'd be winning games.

Quite right!

Agreed. Cooper is deluding himself
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby King George » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:07 pm

If we go down, will we realistically come back?
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm

That didn't happen yesterday, especially in the second half. Lincoln didn't counter effectively on us very often at all, when they tried we kept winning it back. That wasn't through their tactics either, the Cowleys were getting quite irritated with their teams performance and even switched to 5 in the middle to try and gain some control, which didn't happen. They defended well though without making individual errors, which was the difference between the two teams.

We gifted them an awful goal that had nothing to do with tactics, without that we were well on course for at least a point.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:48 pm

Kentstripe wrote:

That didn't happen yesterday, especially in the second half. Lincoln didn't counter effectively on us very often at all, when they tried we kept winning it back. That wasn't through their tactics either, the Cowleys were getting quite irritated with their teams performance and even switched to 5 in the middle to try and gain some control, which didn't happen. They defended well though without making individual errors, which was the difference between the two teams.

We gifted them an awful goal that had nothing to do with tactics, without that we were well on course for at least a point.

How many individual errors or team mistakes have we seen though? Nearly every game there is one and who coaches us? Theres a reason why they keep happening. Even if the players aren't good enough being the reason for it, the blame still lies with one man as it's his squad.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

garyjj wrote:How many individual errors or team mistakes have we seen though? Nearly every game there is one and who coaches us? Theres a reason why they keep happening. Even if the players aren't good enough being the reason for it, the blame still lies with one man as it's his squad.

I agree, far too many.

Pretty clear that the aim this January is to sort it out. If we can get a keeper and a couple of defenders less prone to mistakes, we'll be a much better team. Soft goals are killing us atm.

Not all his signings have worked out, but MC has at least shown that he is capable of making very good signings in a transfer window. The likes of Russell, Pinnock, Noble, Traore and Doidge last summer prove that.

He needs to do similar business this time.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:33 pm

There also has to be much more willingness to drop certain players who are error prone or not performing well enough. No good signing anyone to warm the bench each week when they could make a difference. Sam must wonder how bad it needs to get before he gets a chance again, for example.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:45 pm

"If" our players are more prone to these so called individual errors (surely thats the most common during a game) then maybe players are overly scared of making errors - which in itself is likely to increase your errors and reduce creativity. There again this individual error thing for fgr may be no different to any other team and just a red herring.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:56 pm

MC needs to grow a pair and admit he got it wrong, his players, his signings, his fault!! I really wish he could succeed but until he realises it’s his failings... no respect from me!!!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:12 pm

doggy wrote:MC needs to grow a pair and admit he got it wrong, his players, his signings, his fault!! I really wish he could succeed but until he realises it’s his failings... no respect from me!!!!

Are you sure that there were players who were:
1. Better than those we signed
2. Affordable
3. Prepared to come and play for FGR
4. Unable to make mistakes?
My view is that we were unable to tempt seasoned professionals to come for what we were able to pay. As a result we had to go with a lot of "promising" players, but unfortunately none of them have really shone.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team