New signings

All about our First Team

Re: New signings

Postby SkunkMan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:47 pm

I don't doubt that we need reinforcements but I fail to see how we are going to get 5/6/7 quality players in one month AND integrate them into the team quick enough to secure the points we need to stay up.

I am not convinced that the two we have signed thus far are going to make a huge difference.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:52 pm

It's going to be an interesting few days, followed by an interesting few weeks. :ugeek:
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Mark Ellis would be worth another bid. Appears to be loaned about to various clubs. Scored a couple of goals in defence for us too. Understand he has become a dedicated Vegan, since his last spell with us. Already used to the style and ethics of our club for him?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Mark Ellis would be worth another bid. Appears to be loaned about to various clubs. Scored a couple of goals in defence for us too. Understand he has become a dedicated Vegan, since his last spell with us. Already used to the style and ethics of our club for him?

He spent ages warming up in front of us in the Carlisle game, I was and still am hoping this was a sign!
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

I guess we might know the names of those who have agreed to join by this time tomorrow, in addition to the two already announced, I would be more than happy if Mark Ellis is one of them.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:27 pm

And that Jack Bonham Carlisle loanee Goalkeeper we missed. 6 clean sheets in a row and nearer to home?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby candy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Good luck on signing new players in this January transfer window.
candy
First Team
First Team

Postby twinkletoes » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Just read that we could be signing goalkeeper Tom King from Millwall.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgr2016 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Ellis.... I wasn't totally blown away with him last year. When Pinnock got injured, our defense had a dodgy spell.... And Ellis was there. No doubt he has bought into our club but I don't think hed be any more effective then Collins.

We have goals in us and we have creative players. We have players like DT and IO that can Marshall the midfield.... But if we want to play from.the back... Then the back has to be the best most sophisticated part of the team... Not made up of a patchwork of free rejects and young loanees. If we spend money on the back four... The goals will return like water from a tap.
Last edited by fgr2016 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:29 pm

I'm not surprised we are in the market for a new goalie given that Russell seems to have gone and BC is clearly not good enough.

I'd be glad to see Mark Ellis back. He was huge in the run up to the payoffs and in the playoffs themselves. He would surely replace Iacovitti/Roberts not Lee Collins who I think has been good recently.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Cooper has had 3 transfer windows, im far from convinced one more is going to help but only time will tell.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Green Jimmy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Whilst time will tell, Cooper has said 4 deals done with another 2 or 3 to be done. Why? Why not sign 3-4 - enough to keep us up - and then work on things in the summer? We are bottom of the league so any signing will be those who are not wanted by their own clubs which means the amount of talent we can get is going to be limited. Sign enough to keep us up now then improve in the summer. We could seriously damage the team by signing too many and being unbalanced and struggle to keep players happy.

Time will tell, lets hope Cooper gets this right as it is a massive month for us
Green Jimmy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The Cumbrian » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Mark Ellis would be worth another bid. Appears to be loaned about to various clubs.

Dont rule that out. He looked good when I saw him for Carlisle at the start of the season. Displaced by the signing of veteren Clint Hill, also a rumoured signing, but unlikely as he has extended his contract until the end of the season.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Well, looks like Iacovitti and Fitzwater have gone back to their parent clubs, leaving us with three centre halves by my reckoning - Roberts, Monthe and Collins - only one of whom I would willingly pick in our starting XI for a League Two fixture!

Centre halves - we BADLY need centre halves.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:36 pm

But soft, what light from Transfer window breaks?

Any rumours, hear-says, fiction, or indeed facts? ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Seen a rumour we're in for Gavin Gunning from Port Vale, CB they've been playing at LB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Gunning
The Jovial Forester
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Cumbrian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:00 pm

The Jovial Forester wrote:Seen a rumour we're in for Gavin Gunning from Port Vale, CB they've been playing at LB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Gunning

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/fo ... ld-1001425
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Gosh, if Fitzwater is leaving too then we are really in need of centre backs. I thought he was here all season - oops.

If he is leaving, then his goal was a nice parting shot even if it wasn't enough
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 pm

SkunkMan wrote:Well, looks like Iacovitti and Fitzwater have gone back to their parent clubs, leaving us with three centre halves by my reckoning - Roberts, Monthe and Collins - only one of whom I would willingly pick in our starting XI for a League Two fixture!

Centre halves - we BADLY need centre halves.

Iacovitti and Fitzwater have been good loans - decent performances for us and given the lads very worthwhile match experience. I hope they both make it at a higher level. Great for Fitz, that he signed off with his first league goal.

Lee Collins has been one of the most successful permanent signings and arguably a far better captain than Noble. Hopefully two further quality centre backs and an experienced keeper will reduce our propensity to leak goals.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 pm

When will the IN/OUT thread initiate, I wonder? Lots of debate to be had on that one, I think.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team