Wycombe Wanderers (H) Match Thread

All about our First Team

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (H) Match Thread

Postby Green Jimmy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Another day, another defeat. Another game where we go 'oh we played well for x amount of time etc. Same problems. Cooper won't be missed and the actions of the manager were embarrassing. New players coming in and he will be sidelined. Unprofessional and once again we get to the evening with 0 points. DV needs to have a word with him. Not acceptable
Green Jimmy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Jokerman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:44 pm

ROVERS SPIRIT RISES FROM THE RED MIST. Monday 1st January 2018.

Forest Green Rovers ended the year on a 'low'. It was disappointing for the club's supporters but the situation is far from irretrievable.
Again on Saturday at Lincoln it was small margins that proved costly after playing well against a top side.
Today's game against Wycombe Wanderers will effectively end the current playing squads tenure.
It has underachieved and manager Mark Cooper will bring in the reinforcements he deems capable of supporting his top assets. Against this background an interesting encounter awaits.
In the bar confidence is in short supply amongst Rovers fans and the layers have Wycombe clear favourites.
The early rain had cleared and despite heavy cloud it remained dry for the two thousand seven hundred supporters in the stadium. An impressive seven hundred had made the trip from Wycombe.
Both Stevens and Evans made the starting line-up as Rovers search for a combination to support Doidge.
The first chance of the game falls to Wycombe striker Freeman whose low shot is saved by Collins.
Rovers reply with two quick corners resulting in a Doidge header being blocked.
In the ninth minute Evans on the right flank slipped the ball square to Doidge who ran along the edge of the area before laying the ball into the path of Wishart steaming into the box on the left.
His powerful shot is well blocked by Scott Brown the Wycombe keeper.
Wycombe's star turn Akinfenwa,roughly translated as The Beast who swallowed his cage tried a header that lacked power on ten minutes.
He was proving more than a handful for Monthe,his deft touches defying his physicality.
On fifteen minutes Wycombe began to exert pressure on the Rovers defence.
A low cross from the right reached the back post where Akinfenwa only had to sidefoot the ball into the net. He skewed it back across the goal where it was cleared only as far as Saunders on the edge of the area. He struck a goal bound shot that was turned away for a corner in spectacular fashion by Collins.
Freeman crossed low for Bloomfield whose looped effort saw the ball skim the crossbar.
The pressure told on Rovers and on 26mins Wycombe took the lead following more slack defending in the penalty area. The ball went loose and Bloomfield from around the penalty spot reacted quickest and lashed it high into the net.
The visiting fans were up while the home fans suffered more disappointment.
Wycombe were bossing the game now and Akinfenwa hit a diagonal pass putting Bloomfield in on Collins,he beat the keeper but the ball ran inches wide.
Rovers won a free kick on the right but it was wasted by Laird whose cross was wild.
Frustration was creeping in to Rovers game and it surfaced with a vengeance on forty minutes.
Cooper gave the ball away tamely and dived in recklessly on O'Nien in front of the dug-outs. It all kicked off players and officials and uncle Tom Cobbly and all.
The upshot was that Cooper was red carded followed soon after by Cooper senior to the stand for arguing the toss. Also frustrated the home crowd were not polite to either at their dismissal.
From the restart Freeman brought a good save from Collins who turned the ball away for a corner.
Saunders crossed the ball low to the near post where Mackail-Smith completely unmarked struck it past Collins.
Keanu replaced Evans immediately.
Rovers were in disarray and in the run up to half time Wycombe were shooting for fun at the Rovers goal.
It would be an understatement to say there was a lot of muttering at the break amongst Forest Green supporters.
The second half was somewhat of a revelation.
If Wycombe had taken their foot off the gas or not they handed the initiative to the ten men of Forest Green who played with the shackles off.
The youngsters moved the ball about much better from the start and the work rate to contain the Wycombe attacks was beginning to impress the previously deflated home support.
On sixty four minutes Fitzwater replaced Laird and the team stepped up another gear.
A Keanu free-kick swept into the box only narrowly eluded Lee Collins as he over ran the ball.
The Green Army were waking up and on 70mins they were wide awake.
Stevens and Wishart combined well down the left and the cross was headed out only to Fitzwater on the edge of the area. He took a touch and hit a scorcher into the top left hand corner of the net.
Well one had to believe and the players gave it everything.
Wishart marauding down the left gave Stevens an opportunity but the shot was wide and a shot by Brown cleared the crossbar.
Stevens left the field on eighty minutes to a standing ovation to be replaced by Bugiel.
Wycombe then hit back winning a series of corners which were repelled.
More dangerous was Saunders who on the break ran through the Rovers defence and only a fine block by keeper Collins denied him. The ball ran loose to Akinfenwa but he in turn was denied by Osbourne at the far post.
Breaking out of defence Rovers were on the charge down field Fitzwater in possession. With players in support Rovers fans were praying but he took it on himself and struck his shot over the bar.
Keanu drilled in a low shot from distance that Scott Brown gathered.
It was not to be for Rovers and Wycombe saw the game out.
No one can fault their second half efforts to rescue a dire situation.
Supporters are understandably upset at the predicament the club finds itself in and the manager is ultimately responsible but there is little doubt Mark Cooper will be given time to put things right in the transfer window.
One can be certain Dale Vince will not give up the clubs status,full stop.
Keep the faith.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby gooseman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Could be the turning point of the season. What can only be described as a toxic environment. Not since the game against Leigh RMI, have I seen a totally inept 45 minute display. I thought the match against Carlisle was total tripe but the first 45 minutes will go down as the worst display I have witnessed. A total and utter shambles. Yet, did I see a possible light. With 10 men we started to see a different display. Players shackles were removed. Yes we still could have conceded but there was spirit, Players looked more relaxed and we set about Wycombe with a purpose.
I hope that this is the last I will have to witness Mark Cooper as manager. I acknowledge he got us promoted last year but this year he looks devoid of logic and tactical ideas.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Jokerman wrote:One can be certain Dale Vince will not give up the clubs status,full stop.
Keep the faith.

What? Status as a laughing stock? Status as the worst side in the EFL? Does he even care?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Green Jimmy wrote:Another day, another defeat. Another game where we go 'oh we played well for x amount of time etc. Same problems. Cooper won't be missed and the actions of the manager were embarrassing. New players coming in and he will be sidelined. Unprofessional and once again we get to the evening with 0 points. DV needs to have a word with him. Not acceptable

DV needs to show him the door.

On the bright side, the suspension of CC may mean we start picking points up again. :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:19 pm

I'd be more than happy to start again in southern league with the hard core supporters around me and no plastics in bright green scarfs around me shouting ****.
Brad to kicking towards wing it's obvious to everyone he has been told to do it. Yet we have some morons on south stand giving him stick. It's not the kids fault it's the prat in the dugout.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm

but is'nt that in the FGR rules of management :

Under harvey it was out to the right to Mangan /Meechan

under pennock it was kick to the right to Norwood (made a bit of sense as he could sort of head the ball )

under Cooper its out to the right to (ummm-no-one )

Kick it out to the right is in the FGR DNA.

its de rules
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stroud green » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:26 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:29 pm

SNJ Ash wrote:Wycombe boss is backing Rovers

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... _the_drop/

Of course he's going to say that, he's MC's mate. Very pally before kickoff.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:45 pm

maybe its not quite as specific as that if you read it fully ?

at the samae time-i picked up on Mr Coopers pre-match team selection 'interview'

easy to make 2=2 =5 ,but interesting when announcing Collins in goal -he added that Sam Russell is still injured >

probably my wishful thinking-but maybe i draw a bit of solace as the possible implication is that if Russeell was fit -he would be in goal,and if nothing else -tends to suggest that Sam Russell has not migrated to Mars-,is injured and is very much part of the plan going forward
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:12 pm

From the website Scott Lindsey on Charlie Cooper "One thing he does is charges around..." :lol: :lol: :lol: So does many a toddler Scott.

I think we witnessed frustration from Charlie today in his own realisation that he is no where near good enough for this league. Up until his sending off I cannot recall a single worthwhile contribution he made in the game.

Encouraging second half display was enough to convince me that Scott Lindsey would be an adequate caretaker manager.

Though in time it might appear that Coops Snr may turnout to have had the biggest slice of luck today, with his own son banned.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby herbie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Sam Russell was in the Carol Embury during the game and was asked if he was injured.... he said he was fine no injury just been left out...... says it all about Copper really, quality keeper left out for Collins who finds the stand more than a FGR player.
herbie
Youth
Youth

Postby nwrover » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 pm

Russell behind Pickering now?? Crazy
Cooper said he was injured!
Where does the truth lie o faithful fans?
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Martin Toms » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 pm

I’m normally pretty positive but I’ve reached the point where I am struggling to find any positives.

We have lost 6 games on the trot now in all competitions and only scored 3 goals in those 6 games and only Morecambe have scored less than us (by 1) in the whole division.

It’s very simple, it matters not what style of football you play, hoofball or possession, you have to put the ball in the box as that’s where the majority of goals are scored. Currently we do not get the ball in the box anywhere near enough whether that’s crosses (which we rarely produce) or even passes (we pass it around outside the box but not into the box).

What we are asking of Doidge each game is simply unfair, he desperately needs the support of another striker alongside him, none of this one up front malarkey he needs a strike partner, someone who can physically compete with the lumps that play at the back in league two and someone who will share the burden of goals. If we don’t do this, and if we don’t start scoring more, we will be relegated, simple as that
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Bob Hunt needs to start asking some hard hitting questions he works for BBC surely club won't ban him start asking some proper questions what we wana hear
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:06 am

herbie wrote:Sam Russell was in the Carol Embury during the game and was asked if he was injured.... he said he was fine no injury just been left out...... says it all about Copper really, quality keeper left out for Collins who finds the stand more than a FGR player.

I like Collins, I think he has real talent. But decisions about which players are in and out are over for me.

What gets me is all the lies coming from our club, what is wrong with them. Bust ups in the dressing room, players falling out of favour all the time. A total embarrassment.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby andymac26 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 am

Trying to recall a day I felt more fed up, embarassed and frustrated with it all.
Feels like shades of the situation with Hockaday towards the end. There were mixed feelings and views to start off with about whether he should go. Dissatisfaction continually grew, until the need for change seemed to become more or less the unanimous view. After today, this seems to be where it is now as far as I can see. DV finally acted.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 am

How frustrating for us supporters watching Cooper's inept signings perform. Laird, one of his under-performers took a free kick in first half and I remarked to fellow fans in South Stand, watch him over hit the ball and put it in the stand, which he proceeded to do. A dead ball situations with no pressure and he couldn't deliver for the umpteenth time this season, pathetic.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team