'We'll be better for adversity,' Vince

All about our First Team

'We'll be better for adversity,' Vince

Postby blacknwhitestripes » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Forest Green Rovers chairman Dale Vince believes that his club will be stronger for the tough period they are enduring in League Two as he gives his full backing to manager Mark Cooper.

Read the full story here: https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/new ... sity-vince

You can also listen to Dale's thoughts when speaking to BBC Gloucestershire here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05sh4lh
Following the black & white stripes of Newcastle United and Forest Green Rovers since the 90's...

FGR have got all modern! Follow the club on twitter @FGRFC_Official or 'like' us on Facebook :D
blacknwhitestripes
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 'We'll be better for adversity,' Vince

Postby fgr2016 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:17 pm

I wish more football club owners spoke like this. In Dale I trust.
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:21 pm

fgr2016 wrote:I wish more football club owners spoke like this. In Dale I trust.

Jesus not one of those plastics I was stood next to yesterday are you.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby coyler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Recruitment in the summer was shocking.
The next few weeks of recruitment will determine our FL status. Rabbits out of hats
"The people are free to do exactly what they are told"
coyler
First Team
First Team

Postby fgr2016 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:
fgr2016 wrote:I wish more football club owners spoke like this. In Dale I trust.

By plastic do you mean a new fan?

By plastic do you mean that when looking for a football club 16 months ago that I could feel comfortable taking gmy young son to... Given as an ex midlander that he had seen some things as youngster that turned him away from live football... And that someone recommended FGR and went to his first game at the start of last season?

By plastic do you mean someone who came to the club and was totally inspired by the ethos, the quality of the football on offer and the safe friendly surroundings of the fans?

By plastic do you mean a fan who has since introduce his entire family to the club ( as well as numerous colleagues and neighbours might I add) and now all of us including my parents my daughter and my wife and cheer and take joy and scream blue murder together and coming to FGR has been one of the best things that has brought our family closer together?

If by plastic you mean all those things... Then I am as plastic as a barbie doll. How dare you label any new fan who has come along and liked what the club are doing and all about a "plastic". If you want the club to grow and take on league two thwb it will be off the back of new fans like me who get involved and are passionate.

Things change.. Things move on. I for am so happy to be part of a club that is different and doing things differently. But ultimately it's the great football, wonderful surroundings that we come for and on top of that a wonderful ethos.

You won't find a bigger advocate for FGR then me and my family. Please don't spoil it by calling me a plastic.
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Yeah that's what I meant by plastic
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Shame that Dale cannot see the problem that stares him in the face, a manager, so arrogant that he wont admit its HIS team that is failing at the moment and blames the players, what makes Dale think Cooper can recruit any better this time around, especially when this is probably a harder transfer window than the summer? A manager who has lost all respect from about 95% of the fans, mostly down to the above, but also because of his constant and obvious disregard of acknowledging the home fans, something which I find insulting and offensive, yes, he gets lots of stick, but I believe he brings all this on himself, just look at opposition managers and their relationships with their fans, its embarrassing when your manager ignores home supporters just because we moan, if he cannot respond positively then I have no time for him.
Dale seems to suggest this "minor bump in the road" is part of a learning curve, it will be...it will also be very expensive and very unlikely that we will bounce back, do not forget DV what you said about how easy this league would be to get out, well, I can assure you the Conference will be many more times harder next time around.
If I have one piece of advise, not like DV would listen is GET SOME PEOPLE ON THE BOARD WITH FOOTBALLING EXPERIENCE!!!!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 pm

coyler wrote:Recruitment in the summer was shocking.
The next few weeks of recruitment will determine our FL status. Rabbits out of hats

Agree he will have to do some serious business. And then hope they can work with him. Let's hope he does the business
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 pm

I think both new and old fans mix fairly well. A lot of old fans inc myself, it’s all about the football and winning, although I do agree with most of our green views, if not all. A lot of new fans, so called plastics may be more about overall experience of CE suite etc. The good thing is it is a family friendly club, not many clubs/grounds you can say that about. Long may we continue to attract anybody to boost attendance. I gues Phil just gets frustrated that as a club it sometimes feels like football is just secondary when it should always come first.

I am proud to support FGR even if I sometimes find some things cringeworthy, least we are a bit different and forward looking. Look forward to at least 4 more players arriving this week. Like others I thought mc had run his course but latest developments means we just got to stick by the players. Would love to know if there is a “football related” and not all “business related” people on the board.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Fans were asking for a response from the club and here we have one from the top.

The club have endured a torrid time of late and the Wycombe match did not give us the start to the year we all wanted. It was depressing, we played poorly for half of the match .... but the fight and spirit in the team was plain to see in the second half. We have to do better, hopefully the new signings will improve the consistency and the resilience of the team.

Dale has made a very clear and forthright statement, he believes in the manager and is backing him to help us recover in the second half of the season.

I totally understand the frustration and even anger from many fans. I felt exactly the same yesterday and made my views very clear. The debate will continue and I respect the right of everyone to express opinions, but it's not helpful to use ambiguous terms such as 'plastic' or be abusive to individuals.

Let's get behind the club in the extremely tough challenges we face trying to stay in the football league. This belief was so apparent on the pitch and off it between 4pm and 4.50pm yesterday. Let it resume at 2.55 on Saturday when the players walk out to face a Port Vale team that will be full of confidence.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Yeah that's what I meant by plastic

Bit harsh.

We need all the new supporters we can get to grow as a viable Football league club in my opinion.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiesos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm

A bit harsh, I call down right rude and ignorant, but there again, it is Mr Mitchell.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm

cookiesos wrote:A bit harsh, I call down right rude and ignorant, but there again, it is Mr Mitchell.

Problem?
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gasthegonad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:

I read this forum with great interest everyday and most posts do have a constructive or passion behind them.
Having been a SUPPORTER of Fgr for many years (1990 when I moved into the area from Bristol). I am not a great talker or writer on the forum having written a handful of comments since it started but this comment/post is just downright pathetic and demeaning.
To the new supporter to whom this was directed at may I take this opportunity to apologize, not for the comment as that is not my place but for the fact that someone can type this kind of tripe in 2018 and have some association with FGR. This sort of mentality belongs in 1982.
Anyway, I hope this does not detract you from carrying on with your support of such a fantastic and entertaining football club and I for one welcome all new support with open arms.
Move on!!
gasthegonad
Youth
Youth

Postby cookiesos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:51 pm

i suspect that you, and others , like you are the reason most supporters do not bother with the forum.
You are consistently rude to others, especially those who do not share your views and you generally disagree
with everybody other than the south standers.
I am not posting any more, but I consider your a bit of a bore. end of.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Postby Philpot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm

fgr2016 wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:

By plastic do you mean a new fan?

By plastic do you mean that when looking for a football club 16 months ago that I could feel comfortable taking gmy young son to... Given as an ex midlander that he had seen some things as youngster that turned him away from live football... And that someone recommended FGR and went to his first game at the start of last season?

By plastic do you mean someone who came to the club and was totally inspired by the ethos, the quality of the football on offer and the safe friendly surroundings of the fans?

By plastic do you mean a fan who has since introduce his entire family to the club ( as well as numerous colleagues and neighbours might I add) and now all of us including my parents my daughter and my wife and cheer and take joy and scream blue murder together and coming to FGR has been one of the best things that has brought our family closer together?

If by plastic you mean all those things... Then I am as plastic as a barbie doll. How dare you label any new fan who has come along and liked what the club are doing and all about a "plastic". If you want the club to grow and take on league two thwb it will be off the back of new fans like me who get involved and are passionate.

Things change.. Things move on. I for am so happy to be part of a club that is different and doing things differently. But ultimately it's the great football, wonderful surroundings that we come for and on top of that a wonderful ethos.

You won't find a bigger advocate for FGR then me and my family. Please don't spoil it by calling me a plastic.

FGR 2016
Love everything you just said your both right and hold the moral high ground
I’ve been following FGR since they got in the conference so I could be referred to as Bakelite

The club is everything I’ve ever dreamed of
A village team making it to the football league

I go to the matches with my wife and sometimes son and grandchildren

After the semi play off win against Dagenham back in the summer my 10 year old grandson got our center forwards autograph during the friendly pitch invasion after the game. You won’t get that at Real Madrid

You know what, we might just survive this relegation battle and it will be mainly down to the turnover created by the increase in the gates

Your most welcome at The New Lawn

Luv Philpot
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Don't worry about it.

Likewise, I'm plastic and proud!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm

I think I'll interpret that as the FGR equivalent of a footballing "vote of confidence".

"I think Mark is the right man" not "Mark is the right man".

Somehow he has to get the players, playing with the freedom they did in the second half. It was a transformational improvement, individually they suddenly seemed to become better players.

Can someone answer please. If a manager is sent to the stands in the first half is he allowed in the dressing room at half time?
Last edited by Mothy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I appreciate the press release. Was this released before MC was sent off for aggressively defending CC violent misconduct? I think it's the one I heard on the radio before the game. Maybe MC should listen to it and behave himself accordingly.

The fans arnt the ones who are currently pulling this club apart, go easy on each other. No point trying to box each other into to simple groups. Most people are more complex than that.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR Casual 2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Please stop upsetting the plastics Phil. I can hear their crying from my office in London.
Camphill Ultras 2017
FGR Casual 2
Trainee
Trainee

Next

Return to FGR First Team