'We'll be better for adversity,' Vince

All about our First Team

Re: 'We'll be better for adversity,' Vince

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Yeah that's what I meant by plastic

Oh dear :roll:

Not wishing to be critical of someone who is clearly passionate about FGR, but...by that logic, Phil Mitchell, it appears you were probably a 'plastic' fan for your first year or so of supporting FGR then?! :lol:

I am genuinely interested to know if you think there is a set number of seasons one has to have been attending a set number of games before one can be considered 'non-plastic'?! :shock:

How do you think our core support would have increased from c.600 to around twice that over the last few years without the likes of FGR 2016 coming on board?

Play nice 8-)
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm the biggest plastic of them all.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Dale has made a very clear and forthright statement, he believes in the manager and is backing him to help us recover in the second half of the season.

And I fully appreciate the clarity of that statement and all that Dale has done for the club.

What worries me is that he also once believed in David Hockaday and gave him a year or more longer than he should have before finally conceding what many of us had seen all along.

Then again, he was ruthless with Ady Pennock, so what do I know?! :lol:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:50 pm

SkunkMan wrote:What worries me is that he also once believed in David Hockaday and gave him a year or more longer than he should have before finally conceding what many of us had seen all along.

Hockaday didn't get us promoted though.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Surely by that logic, we should have kept the whole team that got us promoted.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm

If we take this as a vote of confidence will Coops be one of the few like Fergie to turn it around?

I think Coops had to be given the transfer window given the timing and some games. However, if these new signings don't make a difference there is little doubt in my mind he won't be joining us for the rest of the journey.

Like I said on the match thread Coops biggest slice of luck happened yesterday when his son was sent off. Three matches without Charlie charging about busily doing nothing.
Last edited by Mothy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby FGR Casual 2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Mothy wrote:If we take this as a vote of confidence will Coops be one of the few like Fergie to turn it around?

Please say you didn't just compare Mark Cooper to Sir Alex Ferguson.
Camphill Ultras 2017
FGR Casual 2
Youth
Youth

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm

He didn't say compare favourably!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm

SkunkMan wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:Dale has made a very clear and forthright statement, he believes in the manager and is backing him to help us recover in the second half of the season.

And I fully appreciate the clarity of that statement and all that Dale has done for the club.

What worries me is that he also once believed in David Hockaday and gave him a year or more longer than he should have before finally conceding what many of us had seen all along.

The timing of 'sacking of any manager' is not an exact science.....especially in football. Most football managers are not given enough time to prove themselves. Very occasionally, and in the case of DH you are right, the parting of the ways should have come sooner.

The Chairman and the current Manager have very regular two-way conversations. Dale's faith in Mark Cooper is based on what he hears, what he sees and his faith in how January recruitment can transform our fortunes .
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:07 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Surely by that logic, we should have kept the whole team that got us promoted.

I think we tried tbf. Of the team that started v Tranmere, 7 are still at the club

Of the other 4, we couldn't obviously stand in Pinnock's way, tried but weren't able to sign Ellis or Woolery and then on top of that couldn't keep Noble either.

With those 4 in the side reckon we'd be doing a bit better I reckon.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
SkunkMan wrote:

The timing of 'sacking of any manager' is not an exact science.....especially in football. Most football managers are not given enough time to prove themselves. Very occasionally, and in the case of DH you are right, the parting of the ways should have come sooner.

The Chairman and the current Manager have very regular two-way conversations. Dale's faith in Mark Cooper is based on what he hears, what he sees and his faith in how January recruitment can transform our fortunes .

This is exactly what I refer to, does not matter how many times they speak, could be 4 times a day, but ,and I mean no disrespect, but, what the hell does Dale know about football? He may be the paymaster but if his only reference point is the man who wont listen, wont change things, wont take responsibility and feeds him any sort of rhetoric then god help us all !!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Mothy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm

FGR Casual 2 wrote:
Mothy wrote:If we take this as a vote of confidence will Coops be one of the few like Fergie to turn it around?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant!

I was doing a bit of random googling to see if anyone ever survived a vote of confidence

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/15/who-are-footballs-most-successful-managers-after-a-vote-of-confidence
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby 8 Legged » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Note: - FGR are not my 1st team but I pop along for a couple of games each season... not sure if that makes me a plastic or not? Likewise not sure that this allows me an opinion...

There seems to be an inference that this is a "blip" - however I can't help but think that the blip was when the team were not in the relegation places. I am impressed by Dale's loyalty to his manager with so many other owners trigger happy, but I do fear that come the end of the season (and with the benefit of hindsight that this will allow) that he will regret not wielding the axe now.
8 Legged
Trainee
Trainee

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:26 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Don't worry about it.

Likewise, I'm plastic and proud!

You graduated, remember?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:29 pm

Mothy wrote:
FGR Casual 2 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant!

I was doing a bit of random googling to see if anyone ever survived a vote of confidence

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/15/who-are-footballs-most-successful-managers-after-a-vote-of-confidence

Lee Johnson at Bristol City is a comparable situation, I would say. Bloke got so much abuse at Bristol City last season he had to move house.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:Don't worry about it.

Likewise, I'm plastic and proud!

You graduated, remember?

Not sure, as I can't remember Hockaday!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:40 pm

8 Legged wrote:Note: - FGR are not my 1st team but I pop along for a couple of games each season... not sure if that makes me a plastic or not? Likewise not sure that this allows me an opinion...

There seems to be an inference that this is a "blip" - however I can't help but think that the blip was when the team were not in the relegation places. I am impressed by Dale's loyalty to his manager with so many other owners trigger happy, but I do fear that come the end of the season (and with the benefit of hindsight that this will allow) that he will regret not wielding the axe now.

Good point, well made.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Vince seems relaxed about our precarious league position and retains supreme confidence in Cooper as manager.
I hope it’s not misplaced.
I would have liked to hear his thoughts about the toxic atmosphere and the breakdown between the manager and fans but I seriously don’t think he or the club are interested in what the peasants think.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 pm

voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Only 16 of the current 92 football league managers have been in post for more than 3 years.

Wenger's 21 years and Tisdale's 11 years are highly unusual in the football world. Of course 'the revolving door' means very few football managers are out of work for long.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team