Dillion Phillips joining

Postby UPtheGreen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:10 pm

Joining from charlton on a permanent deal
UPtheGreen
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dillion Phillips joining

Postby welshrover » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Good keeper, remember him at Cheltenham who wanted to keep him. Good signing as long as Cooper plays him
welshrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby nwrover » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Let’s hope calamitous Collins returns to chelseA... thanks for the loan big boys... he gained experience... and we had one.... but not a good one
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tommyd » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:26 pm

I feel sorry for the lad, there's a good keeper in there somewhere but cooper may well have ruined him.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby welshrover » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Collins has lost all confidence he had and should have been rested a while ago. Like people say, not all his doing.
welshrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:35 pm

The above post hits the nail on the head for me, he made a few decent saves today and looked far more confident in the second half when he wasn't taking constant instructions about what to do...his distribution improved noticeably.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby welshrover » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Foggy wrote:The above post hits the nail on the head for me, he made a few decent saves today and looked far more confident in the second half when he wasn't taking constant instructions about what to do...his distribution improved noticeably.

Noticeably 2nd half his distribution was a lot quicker and chose to throw the ball instead of hoofing it in to row z. Overall the team improved greatly once Cooper left the touch line.
welshrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby redrobin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:51 pm

If its correct, could be a bench mark signing for you guys
..very well thought of when he played for us........, would have him back in a second
...although Scott Flinders hasn't disgraced himself !
can't beat a good rib - eye !
redrobin
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:54 pm

welshrover wrote:Overall the team improved greatly once Cooper left the touch line.

Maybe someone could lock him in a cupboard when we are playing against Port Vale...we might even win the game if he is absent for a whole 90 minutes.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 am

Dillon received a ringing endorsement on the Cheltenham forum so I checked Wikipedia and found out why:

"He joined National League club Cheltenham Town on a six-month loan in July 2015.[5] He started every game for the "Robins", keeping ten clean sheets in 26 games, and had his loan extended until the end of the 2015–16 season.[6] He picked up an injury in March 2016, and missed the end-of-season run-in as Cheltenham secured promotion as National League champions."
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:27 am

This is the type of signing that should help genuinely strengthen the team. Good player.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Robert+89 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Kind of feel for Colins. He had no chance with our back four, He's a young kid he needs a couple of leaders around him.
Robert+89
Youth
Youth

Postby Cotswold farmer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:18 pm

welshrover wrote:Collins has lost all confidence he had and should have been rested a while ago. Like people say, not all his doing.

A chap I know supports Coventry and their keeper Lee Burge went through the same he went to Nuneaton came back got some stick but was used sensibly and has now grown into a good keeper. We need an old head in goal at present its not the lads fault that is something the club needs to address I will not moan at the lad I would ask why hes not been rested and given time to re-build his confidence
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby tommyd » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Like I said, there is a good keeper there he's just too young and inexperienced. I remember when de gae joined Man Utd and he was the same, made some good saves but was very uncertain in other areas... he turned out okay.
Cooper has thrown him under the bus really and clearly given him poor instruction. He should have been rested ages ago and wether or not he has to play due to the loan deal that is still coopers doing.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

This would be a very positive signing - lots of experience at a good level for such a young player (22).

I feel sorry for Bradley Collins - I have seen enough of him to think that he will go on to be a very good goalkeeper but at the moment, despite some of his excellent shot-stopping, he is inconsistent and error prone - doubtless not helped by playing for a struggling side and the impact on confidence that this can have. I think he will improve with match time - but FGR are in dire trouble and IMHO can no longer afford to let him 'learn on the job' with us when our Football League status is in such jeopardy.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:33 pm

We had a keeper at Carlisle called Ben Williams in the infamous 8 keepers in a calender year plus a much heralded Norwegian keeper who never played because he supposedly twisted his ankle boarding the flight.

Anyhow Williams was a disaster, so then an even worse loanee from spurs came in. Then we got Tim Krul on loan. Although only 19 he was brilliant. Krul was recalled and Williams was pressed back into action.

What a turnaround! Suddenly he was brilliant behind a poor defence too. Won player of the season the following season until he was sold for quite a bit of money.

There's hope for Bradley Collins in that.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby doggy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Pleased for this as Cooper has damaged young Collins, lets hope he can regain some confidence before its too late, got to question tactics he had to play under and goal keeper coach, what the hell did he practice all week? Certainly wasnt his long kicks!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm not sure why some think MC ruined Collins. He was deficient from the start and gradually got better in my view. He has then made a couple of bad errors and looked shaky for a while on Saturday. But apart from his kicking in the wind he was, on balance on Saturday, just about ok I thought.

He has had a tough time with us but he will have learnt a lot and might just continue to develop into a hardened goalie who won't play for Chelsea but might make it in the upper reaches of the EFL.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Welcome Dillion. An answer to a maiden's prayer?

You have to be nuts to be a keeper. That and super confident. I hope Bradley recovers from this trial by torture but fear that the premature exposure will have set him back a distance.

Yes, he made some terrific saves and agility is his best feature. But in fairness, many keepers excel when at full stretch, and there can be scant appreciation when other facets of his game regularly led to goals being conceded. Clearly he was not ready for League Football and has substantial deficiencies that need work - collecting/catching the ball first time, knowing when to catch/punch and when to stay rooted, touch/control when the ball is passed to him under pressure and kicking from placement or from hand. He looked anything but a natural 'sweeper-keeper'.

It would have been a nightmare period for any young keeper playing behind a defence as poor as FGR's in the opening 2 months of the season, but at least an experienced keeper could have barked instructions to those ahead of him. I'm convinced he would have done better as Sam's understudy. What chance did a teenager stand?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm

How strong is this story? Nil mentioned anywhere that I can see?

Would be great to get him. Sadly I think Sams confidence wont be great, so we desperately need a keeper?

EDIT- I hadnt realised that Bradley C is on a years loan till May 2018 :oops:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to FGR First Team