'We'll be better for adversity,' Vince

All about our First Team

Re: 'We'll be better for adversity,' Vince

Postby fgr2016 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks folks! It was s just surprising because ive had nothing but positive interactions as a new fan. Older supporters have come to shake my little sons hand and talking to him and to me. It s just be fantastic.. It's a shame that there are fans who view me and my family as a a plastic as oppose to something materially different to them... (metal/wood/some other non-hydrocarbon material) but hey that's life :)
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:06 pm

My understanding of the term plastic is that it refers to someone who lives miles from the club that they follow, with no affinity such as a family link to it, and only follows them because they are big and winning things...for example, living in Gloucestershire and following the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal. It does not refer to a recent convert who is following their local team, like many of us are, if a club wants to grow then that is exactly what it needs. I enjoy games with a variety of people, many of whom including myself are not originally from here, we have grown up following other teams but now it is Rovers or nothing. I am proud to have also done what fgr2016 did in persuading (wearing down) neighbours, and on occasion family members, to attend games and will continue to do so.

As far as I am concerned the more the merrier...fgr2016 stick with it and enjoy the ride.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby SimonC » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
Mothy wrote:
FGR Casual 2 wrote:
Mothy wrote:If we take this as a vote of confidence will Coops be one of the few like Fergie to turn it around?

Please say you didn't just compare Mark Cooper to Sir Alex Ferguson.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant!

I was doing a bit of random googling to see if anyone ever survived a vote of confidence

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/15/who-are-footballs-most-successful-managers-after-a-vote-of-confidence

Lee Johnson at Bristol City is a comparable situation, I would say. Bloke got so much abuse at Bristol City last season he had to move house.

In the interests of accuracy, I don't think he had to move house because of abuse/death threats from City fans, it was from Rovers fans after signing Matty Taylor. That's not to say he didn't get abuse from City fans, after 11 defeats in 12 that was inevitable.
SimonC
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:14 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05sh4lh

Here’s the interview from which the quotes you’ve read come from - it’s often better to hear them, as the words don’t always convey the tone.
FGRWill
Youth
Youth

Postby RJBora » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Foggy wrote:My understanding of the term plastic is that it refers to someone who lives miles from the club that they follow, with no affinity such as a family link to it, and only follows them because they are big and winning things...

I started to follow the club miles away with no affinity while they were mired in a Conference National relegation battle during the Alan Lewer / Gary Owers days. What does that make me? I mean, other than a masochist?
"Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic." ~ Tryon Edwards, 1891
RJBora
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm

RJBora wrote:I started to follow the club miles away with no affinity while they were mired in a Conference National relegation battle during the Alan Lewer / Gary Owers days. What does that make me? I mean, other than a masochist?

...heroic!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm

As a vegan club from a small village, town, hamlet or whatever, we are already Interesting to fans around the world. We should get them on board in someway and make the most of the online experience a fan can have. Let's make our radio service better, our communication better and our manager behave like a decent bloke.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Tim13 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 pm

FGRWill wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05sh4lh

Here’s the interview from which the quotes you’ve read come from - it’s often better to hear them, as the words don’t always convey the tone.

An interview that took place BEFORE the match (It was on Radio Glos at about 2:15 p.m.). I'd suggest the events of yesterday afternoon might have changed things to some extent but I wouldn't expect those feelings to be made public... just yat.

Tim
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:36 pm

RJBora wrote:
Foggy wrote:My understanding of the term plastic is that it refers to someone who lives miles from the club that they follow, with no affinity such as a family link to it, and only follows them because they are big and winning things...

I started to follow the club miles away with no affinity while they were mired in a Conference National relegation battle during the Alan Lewer / Gary Owers days. What does that make me? I mean, other than a masochist?

A Johnny come lately, glory hunter.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Yeah that's what I meant by plastic

In my opinion the posts of the day award goes to fgr2016 for his post on this thread and his other on MC future at Rovers thread. Both excellent.

If he's a plastic, I'll eat my bright green scarf!!

(and I'm not a plastic either. Those are our colours now so those are the colours I wear with pride).
Last edited by NewForestRover on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby King George » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Saddest part for me is we're only 3 and a half years away from moving, i'm sure many will agree with me In saying RIP FGR.
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby man_of_kent » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Is a plastic fan not a good thing?

Plastic hangs around for ever through thick n thin......we need more!!! .... get rid of those old school non-plastic football fans :lol:
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RJBora » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
RJBora wrote:

A Johnny come lately, n00b, glory hunter.

I just wanted a part of the prestige that comes from being an AGM cup winner. Carries a lot of clout in these parts.
"Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic." ~ Tryon Edwards, 1891
RJBora
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:00 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
RJBora wrote:

A Johnny come lately, n00b, glory hunter.

Flagellation is good, Foggy, IF you're into that. I even moved here from Barrow to get my weekly fix of the stuff. :lol:

See, they are hovering above the drop zone with Ady I/C.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 pm

So DV has made the situation clear and Mark C is staying on. Personally I'm pleased with that. I was very happy when he got appointed BUT, whichever way you cut it, mistakes have been made (otherwise we wouldn't be where we are propping up the Leagues).

The man who never made a mistake never made anything and as they say Rome wasnt built in a day. Best thing to do is put them behind and then not make them again.

I've only ever had 3 conversations with MC and each have been straight up and grown up. The fact that MC is not universally liked comes with the territory and is hardly ground breaking news. He needs the respect of the players and seems to have it and that's the most important thing. MC's actions last season around this time were impressive and ultimately got us promoted. The same is needed again now.

The pressure is well and truly on and the comings and goings will make or break the season.

Football's a funny old game. One moment you're up and the next you're down. And vice versa.

Good move Dale. Now get on and turn the season round Mark and Co. Take a chill pill and sort it all out. Including the elephant in the room.

As for what the club stands for in terms of the global message, I'm very happy to be associated with it all. Whichever way you cut it, it's a good thing not a bad thing.

Living in Stroud and supporting FGR isn't plastic but living in Stroud and supporting Arsenal including a trip to the odd match; I think you'll find that's the definition of a plastic :ugeek:

It's tough being a FGR supporter at the moment, after a few years of relative comfort and success.

Monty has posted what needs to be done, on the supporters side. Mark C knows what needs to be done on the playing staff side.

Looking forward to Saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 pm

ALAN LEWER!! My god there's a blast from the past. I had erased him from my memory. Thinking about it that was the last time I seriously considered not going to another game until the manager got the chop. Fortunately he got the chop.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby RJBora » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Timb wrote:Living in Stroud and supporting FGR isn't plastic but living in Stroud and supporting Arsenal including a trip to the odd match; I think you'll find that's the definition of a plastic :ugeek:

Zing! :lol:
RJBora
Reserves
Reserves

Postby welshrover » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Old Git wrote:ALAN LEWER!! My god there's a blast from the past. I had erased him from my memory. Thinking about it that was the last time I seriously considered not going to another game until the manager got the chop. Fortunately he got the chop.

Luckily for us those were in the days of TH & CP who knew a thing or two about football and did the right thing with no messing around.
welshrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby twoguns » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Maybe we should label fans as we do marriages. Hear me out, I been married 33 years and supporting FGR since 2003, so this is my Silver anniversary as a fan. 25 years or as I prefer over a quarter of a Century. Mind you, now exiled in Cornwall I have only seen one game this season and that was abandoned at half time.

Perhaps I now fall into that plastic band too Mike? I hope not though fella.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 pm

twoguns wrote:Maybe we should label fans as we do marriages. Hear me out, I been married 33 years and supporting FGR since 2003, so this is my Silver anniversary as a fan. 25 years or as I prefer over a quarter of a Century. Mind you, now exiled in Cornwall I have only seen one game this season and that was abandoned at half time.

Perhaps I now fall into that plastic band too Mike? I hope not though fella.

Is it 2028 then? Has Cooper's contract run out?
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team