Mark Coopers future at Rovers

All about our First Team

Re: Mark Coopers future at Rovers

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:02 pm

I heard a rumour that there was some kind of banner or something tied to the gates of the ground yesterday morning. Any one see it?
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

So, from now on we can just expect:-

More kicking it about in midfield until it goes back to the goalie or the opposition.

More swearing and abusing refs/fans/players

More negative pressure on players

More nepostism

More sidelining of players

More excuses

More, it'll be better after...

The "Another Way" that we seem to be proposing is actually not a very nice alternative.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:The fans are not happy Dale they haven't been for a long time. What is your message to them?.

Dale there is a toxic atmosphere around the place at the moment does that worry you?

Very good questions.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm

fgr2016 wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:I don't care how we play as long as we win and stay up I don't care if the players are 20 or 40 just want them to be good enough.
He has a big 29 days infront of him to bring in some quality and save us from humiliation.

I do! I wouldn't pay to watch Wycombe every week..I come to football for entertainment and for the communal spirit... Winning or loosing.

I suspect the 'truth' for most fans lies somewhere in the middle of these two opinions - every fan wants to see their team win, but I for one would certainly not like to watch Lincoln every week, even if they were 'my team'....

BUT...and say what you like about statistics (I took these from Sky)....against Lincoln recently, we had 55% possession but mustered just one corner and two shots on target. Lincoln, with 10% less possession, won four corners and mustered 11 shots on goal.

Which suggests to me that...all the passing and ball retention in the world ultimately counts for little in this results-dominated sport if you can't create chances and stick the ball in the ******* net.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fatbloke » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:19 pm

You all dont get it do you? Vince is here for publicity and any publicity thats hitting headlines is good! Coopers the best panto villan he could want, doesnt care abut the club or fans!
fatbloke
Trainee
Trainee

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:22 pm

fatbloke wrote:You all dont get it do you? Vince is here for publicity and any publicity thats hitting headlines is good! Coopers the best panto villan he could want, doesnt care abut the club or fans!

Not sure that's entirely correct!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:44 pm

fatbloke wrote:You all dont get it do you? Vince is here for publicity and any publicity thats hitting headlines is good! Coopers the best panto villan he could want, doesnt care abut the club or fans!

Oh no he isn't!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:

Oh no he isn't!

Oh yes he is!.
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 pm

montyc wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:

Oh no he isn't!

Oh yes he is!.

It's behind you! (your career!)
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Did you join the forum just to say that? I think you may be biased as well as inaccurate, but thank you for your contribution.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:37 pm

fgr2016 wrote:I think it's too simplistic to say that it was MC sending off that raised the sprints. It's was the improved performance. If the players had started like that then there wouldn't be such claims.

Did the players performance improve because Cooper wasn't there? The question here is, up until 4 games ago before our horrific injury list, there players were playing like this every game? Answer is yes.

There is the converse argument here - could the players have been saying "the managers lost we need to fight for him".

I do think MC needs to come out and apologise for bringing the club into disrepute....waking up to BBC1 talking about us must have horrific for him, the club and all of us. If he shows some public humility then I think he will have a bit more time on his hands... At least from me. MC was wrong to be angry about the red card... It was red. Simple as that as. He now needs to admit this and I think that simple gesture would help things along a lot.

At the same time, I sit here and think would I like some sections of the fans if I was manager? Jeering a 21 year old goalkeeper...only cheering when we are on the front foot... . Bemoaning every attempt to keep possession... Happy to attack at the bad but quiet when there is a promotion and good form....Happy to moan at the money in the game but not praise their manager for attempting to promote young and hungry talent and give them a shot at the game.... Moan that we make mistakes but not acknowledge hat at least it's fun to watch FGR then the whack it to the fat guy styles of Lincoln, Wycombe etc......

Cooper is NOT perfect and he needs to sort out his conduct.. But I adore his principles and I desparately want them to work. I want to support a club that wants to play attractive football, that has values and wants to approach the game in a sustainable way. However I would like him to look at his relationship with the fans too and perhaps apologise for the last two weeks where the pressure has got the better of some of the decisions.

Relationships are two way, give and take and I think some "supporters" could do with looking in the mirror AS WELL AS COOPER and think about what we have and realise that our strengths can be our weaknesses too.

Best post on here for ages imo.

Dale's statement on the web site (summarised by the BBC and covered on the other thread) has reaffirmed my support for a while yet.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Good post. I agree jeering at the players is wrong. They should have aimed their disappointment at the manager was on the pitch pointing him to place it on the right wing over and over again.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRWill » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:04 pm

https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/new ... sity-vince

Just in case you haven’t heard or read Dale’s interview.
FGRWill
Youth
Youth

Postby montyc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:14 pm

FGRWill wrote:https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/news/first-team-news/2018/we-ll-be-better-for-adversity-vince

Just in case you haven’t heard or read Dale’s interview.

So that's a vote of confidence for MC by DV, oh good , we all know what that means.
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Cannot understand MCs behaviour - his body language is awful during the game, throwing his arms up at every opportunity in disgust, shouting at players, walking away in disbelief at the action, continually beratting the 4th official, argueing at every decision, and verbally defending his sons atrocious actions in being sent-off. When MC was sent to the stands, a large proportion of the fans around me in the East stand, stood up and cheered to his departure. It is obvious many really dislike him, and with the presence of his non-performing son in the team over more talented players, things look ominous.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Tommo wrote:
fgr2016 wrote:I think it's too simplistic to say that it was MC sending off that raised the sprints. It's was the improved performance. If the players had started like that then there wouldn't be such claims.

Did the players performance improve because Cooper wasn't there? The question here is, up until 4 games ago before our horrific injury list, there players were playing like this every game? Answer is yes.

There is the converse argument here - could the players have been saying "the managers lost we need to fight for him".

I do think MC needs to come out and apologise for bringing the club into disrepute....waking up to BBC1 talking about us must have horrific for him, the club and all of us. If he shows some public humility then I think he will have a bit more time on his hands... At least from me. MC was wrong to be angry about the red card... It was red. Simple as that as. He now needs to admit this and I think that simple gesture would help things along a lot.

At the same time, I sit here and think would I like some sections of the fans if I was manager? Jeering a 21 year old goalkeeper...only cheering when we are on the front foot... . Bemoaning every attempt to keep possession... Happy to attack at the bad but quiet when there is a promotion and good form....Happy to moan at the money in the game but not praise their manager for attempting to promote young and hungry talent and give them a shot at the game.... Moan that we make mistakes but not acknowledge hat at least it's fun to watch FGR then the whack it to the fat guy styles of Lincoln, Wycombe etc......

Cooper is NOT perfect and he needs to sort out his conduct.. But I adore his principles and I desparately want them to work. I want to support a club that wants to play attractive football, that has values and wants to approach the game in a sustainable way. However I would like him to look at his relationship with the fans too and perhaps apologise for the last two weeks where the pressure has got the better of some of the decisions.

Relationships are two way, give and take and I think some "supporters" could do with looking in the mirror AS WELL AS COOPER and think about what we have and realise that our strengths can be our weaknesses too.

Dale's statement on the web site (summarised by the BBC and covered on the other thread) has reaffirmed my support for a while yet.

I will second that, plenty saying MC needs to sort out his attitude whilst at the same time booing their own team.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Norton Boy wrote:
Tommo wrote:

I will second that, plenty saying MC needs to sort out his attitude whilst at the same time booing their own team.

Cooper does need to sort his attitude, it stinks!!!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 pm

fgr2016 wrote: I adore his principles and I desparately want them to work.

Just re reading your post fgr2016, as I said before I think it was excellent. What do you mean by the above though, what are Cooper's principals. I know I have been very critical of his behaviour recently but I'm generally interested.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgr2016 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi Everyone

So first of all that ks to those who have quoted me - very kind indeed :)

So for me, what I've observed is and I could be completely wrong..
1) Young and hungry - appears willing to roll the dice on a youngster desparate for a chance or to take a look at someone working hard in the league below. I like this..i know it doesn't work all the time but I like this ethos. In the long run it works when you pair this up with experienced individuals.
2) Hard work - he does value players who are want to work for the team.
3) Style and high expectations - no lumping route one action, football is a game to be played, enjoyed and won (I know I'll get stixk for this last word!!) The way they play is ambitious and ok it doesn't work all the time. But how many games as in games of football not FGR dominance... can you think of that you could say "yeah that wasn't worth my £16.. That wasn't entertaining and dramatic and exciting to watch"

All these have weaknesses. But what's the alternative... A bunch of old and past it's that whack the ball? OK I'd like more balance and I do believe they'll try and achieve that in the transfer window. Yeah.. That's what I think anyway.
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Seeing past his nepotism and realising we are a much better side without his son in the XI would be a good start.

He knows he'll find another job if it doesn't work out here, so may as well make sure his son has a career too.
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team