Definition of a Rovers fan

All about our First Team

Definition of a Rovers fan

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 am

a) Those that have been here since 1889:
I so admire you for having faith for so long.

b) Those pre-Wembley:
I admire you too for having a local team, sticking with it through thick and thin, good and bad and being rewarded by promotion. I'm envious because I wasn't there on the day.

c) Those post-Wembley:
Who have been made aware of FGR by the media. Vegan, eco-friendly, green issues are just as important as football to many.

d) Those like me:
Who were originally attracted because we are vegetarian, had lost faith with previous football clubs and saw FGR as an answer to our prayers.

We all have quite a lot in common:

We think about FGR constantly (even in bed at night!)

We spend all our spare money (which is in short supply) visiting New Lawn whenever we can.

Saturday is FGR day. We either attend the match or listen to it. Doing neither is simply unheard of.

We support DV because he owns us.

We support MC because he's our manager.

We support all our players because they're playing for us.

First thing in the morning and last thing at night we check the FGR website for latest news.

The rest of the day, morning, noon and night we are on here browsing and posting when we have so many other things we should be doing!

Basically our whole lives have been taken over.

Maybe some of us need a doctor to cure our addiction. Not sure I want to be cured though.......................

I'm quite enjoying it.

:D
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Re: Definition of a Rovers fan

Postby RyRover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 am

This really made me smile

I've read lots of things on here that I won't go into now, but things that have really upset me

OLD OR NEW FANS WE ARE ALL FGR
Championship or bust
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 am

RyRover wrote:This really made me smile

I've read lots of things on here that I won't go into now, but things that have really upset me

OLD OR NEW FANS WE ARE ALL FGR

I'm glad it made you smile. Please don't be upset.

That's one of the reasons why I start these threads.

So we can all be happy and all feel positive together.
:)
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:31 am

Nice thread for a change.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgr2016 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 am

Nail on head :)
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:48 am

A real FGR fan is one who supports the club through thick and thin, and who does not continually belly-ache on here at the earliest opportunity. My glass is always half-full.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 am

I've seen my fair share of ups amd downs over the years.
Last year was up there with the best but not as good as the season we won DR Martin's prem.
I go for the football and the social with the lads. Vegan, organic all that means nothing to me. Although what I will say is I do love the veggie burger with chilli sauce.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:26 am

Best away support/noise I've ever seen from us was at Swindon FA Cup 07-08. Nearly 2000 FGR in the away end(s). Brilliant atmosphere in the rain. Only teams that took numbers like that to the County Ground that year were Leeds and the Gas.

Would be great to see something similar next week. If that doesn't the team going, nothing will.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am

Good post. Easy to support when we are winning, can be torture when we are not. It was ever thus

For the players on the pitch, our support from hereon may determine our season. Many was the time in the early 2000s that we did not get our season going until the New Year and beat the drop by hook or by crook. That is the spirit required from players and supporters alike
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Very refreshing to read 8-)

I hate being bottom of League 2. It stings, because we all want our club to be successful. I hate it...

...but compare it to, for example, the last season or two at The Lawn, playing on a pitch that was more sand than grass in winter and watching us humping long balls to Julian Alsop who could barely run...and I'll still take it...

:lol:

We have our ups, we have our downs. Twas ever thus.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Genuine question NFR, if Dale left and we became a non league meat eating club again, would you still be here?
I think the feeling with the some of the old fans is that some new fans only support FGR because they are a novelty and would disappear as quickly as they came if it changed.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:22 pm

You have to qualify as a 'Howling Mad Murdock"! :lol:
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:08 pm

tommyd wrote:Genuine question NFR, if Dale left and we became a non league meat eating club again, would you still be here?
I think the feeling with the some of the old fans is that some new fans only support FGR because they are a novelty and would disappear as quickly as they came if it changed.

To be fair that happens to pretty much every club when they go down anyway, look at our old friends Lincoln, could barely manage 2-3000 a couple of seasons ago and now look how many fans have started to turn up no doubt claiming they were there all the time.Not that I am saying NFR etc would do the same, just pointing out that pretty much every club has fans that lose interest when the club is on the slide.Let us hope we never get to find out :D
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:08 pm

tommyd wrote:Genuine question NFR, if Dale left and we became a non league meat eating club again, would you still be here?

Of course I would. :roll:

I supported another club previously. I'm not going into who it was or why I left but it wasn't because they were meat eaters!!
For a while I watched various other teams and went to a few local games but didn't get the urge to support anyone long term. I tried but I wanted a club to feel passionate about again and it wasn't happening.
I then read about FGR, liked what I read and here I am!

As I said earlier I'm addicted now and I'm certainly feeling passionate. ;)
If the unthinkable happened and we are relegated, it would just mean more away games easier for me to get to.
And I'll even get the trip to Wembley that I missed out on last time! :D

(yes, I know it won't be easy but I'll still be here and will still be looking on the bright side.)
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Definition of a rovers fan these days...

Tie die cardigan
Green wig
Live on every word the chairman says
And has no memory of anything pre 2010
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SimonC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Definition of a rovers fan these days...

Tie die cardigan
Green wig
Live on every word the chairman says
And has no memory of anything pre 2010

Genuine LOL!
As they say - the best trolling has its basis in the truth...
SimonC
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Are you serious about the tie-dye cardigan ? I don't think I've ever seen one of them, let alone at FGR.

I wouldn't worry about it PM. Supporters come and supporters go, for many different reasons. No-one I know who has ever been involved with running FGR has ever wanted anything other than to increase the support for FGR. I remember CG basically saying use it or lose it, having not achieved any projected increase in support.

We're getting 2500 ish and we're on our beam ends on the pitch, hopefully things will get better and support will increase again.

You'll just have to get used to them, whatever a tie-dye cardigan looks like.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 pm

It comes with success I suppose. How many genuine Man Utd, Chelsea or Man City supporters are there? Not many I'd imagine but they'd not achieve what they do without the "plastics" so whilst there are definitely different types of fan, they're all important if you want to be successful. The problem is we've been asked to make a lot of concessions in order to gain our success and that is the reason we are maybe quick to criticise when things don't go the way we hoped.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi NFR
b) Those pre-Wembley:
I admire you too for having a local team, sticking with it through thick and thin, good and bad and being rewarded by promotion. I'm envious because I wasn't there on the day.

Makes it sound like Wembley only occurred once

NFR you missed out a number of other milestones which may have attracted new fans
Entry to Conference level
Wembley Vase Final
Wembley Trophy Final
Villa Park Trophy Final
and the 1st Wembley Playoff Final
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:45 pm

TommyD can you list the concessions you have had to make as an FGR supporter?
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team