Match thread from St. James Park (Exeter City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from St. James Park (Exeter City)

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:30 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:Enjoy the ride.

We lost then.

I blame the fans
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:34 am

Tomiswalking wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:Enjoy the ride.

We lost then.

I blame the fans

I do too.

They should just stop criticising and let Cooper carry on losing pretty much every game.

Like I said they need to "enjoy the ride."
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 am

Just got back. Thoroughly disappointed.

Only 6 subs with experienced pros left at home. Of the six on the bench when was the last time Simpson played? Was Charlie ever going to come on if we were behind given recent developments? So arguably 4 on the bench including the keeper.

Ultimately because of fallings out (again) we had players out of position and it just doesn't work. Hollis at LB and to a degree Collins in CM just doesn't work. How can we buy 10 players and still have to play people out of position. Okay let's call it 8 as 2 were signed today.

We just looked like we had no belief at 2 down and the substitutions were strange and ineffective. Exeter on the other hand came out early as if they knew they'd not done well enough first half.

What worries me most is that a lot of the new signings look less effective now that they have had more time training to our tactics and style. Sadly, with the window now shut, I am more on the side of expecting us to go down, unless Cooper goes.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:00 am

Considering Cooper's current form, now maybe a good time to extend his contract, we could get another 5 years for next to nothing. This would seem to be a terrible idea, but I have insider information, it's all the refs fault, fans fault and players fault if you remove these obsticals cooper is hot property.

I am totally fed up.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 am

Twas a bit like watching the England cricket team making 100-1 before lunch against the Aussies then collapsing in the afternoon with a load of silly errors. And like an England batting collapse you knew it was coming.

I think our hopes of survival now rest on this guy from Grimsby, who should play CM with Ozzie allowing Collins to drop back to CB.

Grubb was MOM, or perhaps Ozzie, for me.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:11 am

Tomiswalking wrote:Considering Cooper's current form, now maybe a good time to extend his contract, we could get another 5 years for next to nothing. This would seem to be a terrible idea, but I have insider information, it's all the refs fault, fans fault and players fault if you remove these obsticals cooper is hot property.

I am totally fed up.

On a serious note, as Vince is sticking with Cooper, when Managers previously gave got rid of him well before he actually relegated their clubs, it could really hurt Cooper's future job prospects.

For Cooper to be given as much money as he has desired, supported fully in every decision and still lising game after game dies not look good to any future employers!!!
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:20 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:Considering Cooper's current form, now maybe a good time to extend his contract, we could get another 5 years for next to nothing. This would seem to be a terrible idea, but I have insider information, it's all the refs fault, fans fault and players fault if you remove these obsticals cooper is hot property.

I am totally fed up.

On a serious note, as Vince is sticking with Cooper, when Managers previously gave got rid of him well before he actually relegated their clubs, it could really hurt Cooper's future job prospects.

For Cooper to be given as much money as he has desired, supported fully in every decision and still lising game after game dies not look good to any future employers!!!

Hadn't really thought of that angle. Sounds tragic, especially as CC is wrapped up in it too.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:47 am

What the hell happened at half time?
We looked good for 45 minutes and dominated the game - not just possession for possession's sake either. Grubb played well and we had numerous shots blocked. Played like we were the home team.
And then it all changed .............. they bring on a right winger who forces 2 errors out of Dale and boom they are 2-0 up and cruising with over half an hour still to play. We looked heartless and clueless.
It's going to take a big pick me up before we meet Coventry on Saturday !!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby doggy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 am

After a good nights sleep, which MC probably didn’t get, had time to cool down, again! Passion when tinged with defeat is a toxic mix, and after venting my frustration at the manager, again, realise that whatever I (we) say things won’t change. I believe we have run out of time (games) and our fate may rest in others hands, but gonna do as stated before , enjoy the rest of the season, support whoever plays and, if we go down look forward to National league football if that’s the case.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 am

doggy wrote:After a good nights sleep, which MC probably didn’t get, had time to cool down, again! Passion when tinged with defeat is a toxic mix, and after venting my frustration at the manager, again, realise that whatever I (we) say things won’t change. I believe we have run out of time (games) and our fate may rest in others hands, but gonna do as stated before , enjoy the rest of the season, support whoever plays and, if we go down look forward to National league football if that’s the case.

Don't talk nonsense. Be yourself, not a serf.

My concern is that we're stuck in a downwards spiral which will yield some points (including wins) but ultimately not surpass what the teams around us achieve. At this point I've no confidence whatsoever in either the manager or his employer to turn things around. The former is on a lengthy contract and, beyond any personal pride, has no incentive to perform. With the latter it is anyone's guess what he's thinking; the football seems to be merely a sideshow behind vegan recipes, unnecessary plans to relocate the club, headline making, advertising Ecotricity and having Jilly Cooper around to help research her latest granny-smut title.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 am

Norton Boy wrote:
FootieMan wrote:Calm down everyone. After the last three defeats AWAY it is disappointing not to have scored a goal. But tonight look at the opposition, who if they win their two matches in hand would be second in the table only three points behind leaders Luton.

I said previously and will repeat it again, the matches the club MUST target to win are those against the teams in the bottom 8 of the division. Take points off those in and around you and you will be safe. Those games are still to come and mostly at home.

I like many who have followed the club over the years have been there before. Continually slagging off the players and management will just give you high blood pressure. Walk away from your computer for a day and save yourself all the hassle. Sensible analysis is more therapeutic even if you do not realise it at the time.

Comments without basis are no use either. I don’t know if it is true MC did not go in the dressing room at half time. If it was true then why? There might be a valid reason only he knows. Could it be that he was being consulted about a last minute bid for Doidge. Was Dodige brought off because a deal was reached and to protect the high value bid he was substituted.

We can all guess but the club will not save itself if we are not together. What will be.....will be. As fans we have no control over these things. Believe me.........

Well said.

If you put it that way then we shouldn't expect to beat anyone because practically everyone is above us in the league! Don't think 3 points against Barnet for the rest of the season will be enough, do you?
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 am

Tommyd.......That’s not what I said..

I was ONCE AGAIN simplify pointing out the target for survival is a MINI LEAGUE of the bottom third of League Two.

Playing away to a team better than us is in reality unlikely to bring any points. Ask WBA about their trip to Man City last night. And they have changed their manager!

Venting ones spleen in the way some fans do is not helpful to anyone and I just feel they would be better placed before passing comment by staying off the computer keyboard for 24 hours. I neither back or condone any individual who work for or play for the club. It serves no useful purpose.

We are not a club who we can see is being torn apart by some vindictive owner(s) hell bent on stripping the club. Mark Cooper knows only too well if he cannot make it with the financial support he is given by Dale Vince then future employment is not a gimme, especially if his employment is terminated sooner rather than later. The players also know as full time professional their stock value decreases too. Football is a spiral of ups and downs and with market forces as they are across the piece it is a unforgiving one.

I believe, having looked at it rationally, ((remember that word) that none of the other 7 clubs in the bottom 8 are any better placed. I also concede we are not better than them either. But that is where you plan your escape strategy. We can all turn out for the top games and Coventry is one of them but in reality it is the crunch games where all effort must be concentrated.

Stop beating yourselves up and learn more about the animal which is FOOTBALL.
Last edited by FootieMan on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 am

Oggys right boot wrote:Reckon we need 8 or 9 wins to stay up. Playing 4cbs and 2 full backs - it’s not going to happen.

Where do people think these wins will come?!? That would be play off form for the last part of the season!!

Actually , one more win than Barnet & Chesterfield would do.
Last edited by The Old TomCat on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby nwrover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:42 am

Cooper said in the post match interview ‘I knew we weren’t going to win so took doidge off to protectbfor coventry’

So no possibility of late goals characteristic of a side that fights to the end?

Last year he said that was a key part of fgr... we kept on playing...

If the manager gives up so will the players and fans
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:58 am

Very happy with first half play except we did not score.
Everybody around me said it had the same feeling as at Lincoln where we conceded in 2nd half and lost game.

The 2nd half was a lot better than whole performance at Carlisle.

FGR lost away to a promotion hunting team.

Still utterly disappointed but will take some comfort in that this was our game in hand and our closest rivals have not secured a march over us.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 am

nwrover wrote:Cooper said in the post match interview ‘I knew we weren’t going to win so took doidge off to protectbfor coventry’

So no possibility of late goals characteristic of a side that fights to the end?

Last year he said that was a key part of fgr... we kept on playing...

If the manager gives up so will the players and fans

Without wishing to raise debate again (especially with KGIii) on a veiled comparison with of Churchill and generals.

My brother was shot during Operation Market Garden in WWII in a battle to win the war sooner. It was devised and planned by Montgomery and many critics were against it. But Eisenhower backed it but when it was obvious it was not going to succceed and leaving troops at Arnhem to be further exposed they were withdrawn for more battles to come. I won’t tell you how it finished in case you haven’t read the book!

Nothing different to Cooper withdrawing Doidge from the fight in a game which was lost and saving him for those to come. Doidge is an asset we need to protect. Sensible management even if you dislike the manager.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 am

camel wrote:Just got back. Thoroughly disappointed.

Only 6 subs with experienced pros left at home. Of the six on the bench when was the last time Simpson played? Was Charlie ever going to come on if we were behind given recent developments? So arguably 4 on the bench including the keeper.

Ultimately because of fallings out (again) we had players out of position and it just doesn't work. Hollis at LB and to a degree Collins in CM just doesn't work. How can we buy 10 players and still have to play people out of position. Okay let's call it 8 as 2 were signed today.

What worries me most is that a lot of the new signings look less effective now that they have had more time training to our tactics and style. Sadly, with the window now shut, I am more on the side of expecting us to go down, unless Cooper goes.

i have not been to that many recent games-but i similarly note a bit of a downward spiral now they have settled in to playing Cooperball.

that is a concern-and arguably raises questions about the manager.

maybe my eyes deceive me-but yep-detected similar.
perhaps unfair-the same way as players become worldbeaters when sat on the bench/out of the team-but i do think camel has a bit of a point and of genuine concern
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Oggys right boot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 am

FootieMan wrote:Tommyd.......That’s not what I said..

I was ONCE AGAIN simplify pointing out the target for survival is a MINI LEAGUE of the bottom third of League Two.

Playing away to a team better than us is in reality unlikely to bring any points. Ask WBA about their trip to Man City last night. And they have changed their manager!

Venting ones spleen in the way some fans do is not helpful to anyone and I just feel they would be better placed before passing comment by staying off the computer keyboard for 24 hours. I neither back or condone any individual who work for or play for the club. It serves no useful purpose.

We are not a club who we can see is being torn apart by some vindictive owner(s) hell bent on stripping the club. Mark Cooper knows only too well if he cannot make it with the financial support he is given by Dale Vince then future employment is not a gimme, especially if his employment is terminated sooner rather than later. The players also know as full time professional their stock value decreases too. Football is a spiral of ups and downs and with market forces as they are across the piece it is a unforgiving one.

I believe, having looked at it rationally, ((remember that word) that none of the other 7 clubs in the bottom 8 are any better placed. I also concede we are not better than them either. But that is where you plan your escape strategy. We can all turn out for the top games and Coventry is one of them but in reality it is the crunch games where all effort must be concentrated.

Stop beating yourselves up and learn more about the animal which is FOOTBALL.

Footieman - ask Swansea about their games against Liverpool / arsenal - it would have been easy to say these aren’t the games we have to win. They chose to stand up and be counted (for a new manager I may add). That is how teams escape relegation. You try every match to get every point possible. Cooper bringing doidge off when only 2 goals down is an insult to the fans who paid good money to watch them away on a Wednesday night.

If we wait for the games in the mini league - what happens when we get a man sent off early on? (apart from cooper having his excuse for another defeat)

Being rational is calmly seeing facts. We are in the bottom 2 - our away form is horrific. Our home form over the season is really not much better. Unless something changes we are going down. The club has spent so much time, money and effort getting in to this league that it seems so strange to me that we are performing with so little passion. Apparently happy to be losing by only 1 or 2 goals each game or by blaming individual errors or refereeing mistakes.

Old Tom Cat - yes we need one more win than Barnet or chesterfield. One of them will pick up form - believe me. We will need +20 points to survive...are there enough games against the lower teams to get that?
Oggys right boot
Youth
Youth

Postby nwrover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 am

Footieman
Didn’t say I didn’t like the Manager... commenting on a lack of fight until the last minute... surely you will concede a characteristic of successful teams?
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby richmond » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 am

Talking in the car going home about tactics, tactics, tactics. Was any team going to allow an opposition player (Grubb) to run the midfield for two halves? No. so they closed him down. What did we do to strengthen midfield to counterbalance that, put Laird on, pushing Dan further back! This also pushed Ozzy to the right side where he is less effective. Other simple errors.

We have the players; we have the ground and the financial backing. What is missing from that equation. Oh yes!
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team