Let's have some honesty...

All about our First Team

Let's have some honesty...

Postby Phil_mitchell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Fellow fans let's put our hands on our hearts and give an answer to the following question.

Who believes we will stay up and beat the drop?

I'm genuinely interested in other fans opinions on this..
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Let's have some honesty...

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm

I believe that we will stay up. But my optimism is getting less every game.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 pm

We're doomed atm simple.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Getting very difficult to see FGR playing league football next season. Lets all hope these new signings MC has made can do the business and keep us holding onto the dream. The chairman has done his bit, hope the rest do the same.
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:38 pm

I think we will stay up. With the new players and the removal of several under-performers, we will be OK. But I am worried. The drop does still remain a distinct possibility, and it's not much fun watching at the moment. Whatever happens, the 11 players that turn out for every game get my full support.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby mbroadbent » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 pm

i think fgr will go down. players are probably good enough, but the tatics are not.
mbroadbent
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Based on current form no. But i think we have some good players and support all around the pitch and will scrape it and stay up, but then what? Stuck with cooper at the helm upsetting everyone with weird tactics and unhealthy communication for another 2 years.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR123 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:55 pm

It will go to the wire. Still think we can do it.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgrbob » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Luckily we are not adrift but we do need a run of wins not just 1 here and there I am hopeful but we must cut out the silly mistakes
fgrbob
Youth
Youth

Postby The Game Within » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

If we play like we did in the 1st half last night then we have a chance, but after the 2nd half showing no we will go down.
I would like to know how a side can change so much in a 15 min break.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm

I’m an eternal optimist, but I still think we will go down,! Coops doesn’t know whether to play 352 442 diamond. We started 4231 begining of season. He won’t play 433 now cause that would mean dropping Reid. We are top heavy with defenders. Have nobody from the bench who can change a match. Play a Cb as a makeshift Cm which does not work. Have only 4 players in squad capable of scoring. Never play 2 good halves in a match. I could go on...

Only chance of staying up is to solve the CM problem. Either the new lad from Grimsby comes good or all is forgiven and Traore reverts to alongside Ozzie. We cannot persevere with Collins in CM, who is a quality CB. My worry is there a few big names in squad now who may dictate amount of playing time and shape of team. 9 times out of 10 most games are won by who has the best midfield

Even I’m confused to what our best starting 11 and bench should be. There is no consistency with constant personnel changes and formations. No wonder they cannot gel and get a run going. My first 11 and formation would be, 4231.

Collins
Bennett, Rawson, Gunning, Wish
Traore, Osbourne
Clements, Reid, Grubb
Doidge

Reid could win some flick ons and link up as he has intelligence to link up play. Grubb and Clements providing energy and guile. With the flying Bennett and Wish on overlaps. Ozzie can stride powerfully forward when needed. Traore can just sit and maybe last 90 mins! Got to have Kmb on bench, only player in squad who can turn the game. But he has to be motivated.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby View From The Pitch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:55 pm

I really hope we will stay up but unfortunately with MC in charge I feel we are doomed. We need stability in the team and although I agree we needed a few new faces I feel 10 is a joke. We could start a whole new team. This is unacceptable we need players who want to be at the club. The loan players may feel that they have something to prove and hopefully they put in solid performances to help us climb away from the bottom half.

In our next 6 games we have 4 winnable games so this is a minimum for me. If we drop points against Morcambe, Crewe, Crawley and Stevenage we might as well start looking at next season in the National League.

Now is time to get behined the lads more than ever. Yes I have been critical of players and the management but we all now need to stick together and move forward as one to keep FGR in the Football Leaugue.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby Oggys right boot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Going down with Cooper in charge unless he makes some serious changes. Changes in his tactics just being the start. Motivating players seems problematic for him at the moment. Can’t buy another whole team if he falls out with them now.
Oggys right boot
Youth
Youth

Postby Green Devil » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Mark Cooper is a man seriously under stress and pressure and this in turn extends to his team, never mind the watching fans. This was most evident to me in the game where Charlie and he both got their marching orders. Under Scott Lindsay it was as though a cloud had been lifted and the team played for each other without the fear of MC’s wrath.

Since that match, I think we have recruited pretty well and overall have a good squad, more than capable of keeping us up. For it to happen though MC should consign himself to the Directors box and watch from afar, relying on a more stable Scott Lindsay to manage pitch side proceedings. Nothing to stop them communicating but the players don’t need extra stress.

As View From The Pitch says, now is the time to get behind the team. It will be tight and tough but I think we can escape by the skin of our teeth.
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pm

If we can get some continuity in selection and find ways of feeding Doidge and Reid more often then yes, I honestly think we will stay up.

That belief will start waning pretty quickly from this point on unless we show real signs of consistent improvement though, get better at both ends of the pitch and cut out the slack mistakes.

There is no point being tight defensively whilst creating nothing, just like there is no point creating chances whilst conceding soft goals. In every game from this point we need to be switched on at both ends, tight at the back and quicker thinking and prepared to have a go at goal at every opportunity at the other end. Possession has to be mixed with a real cutting edge. Do that and we'll win enough games to stay up, imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:22 pm

We'll go down with cooper in charge, if we get someone else (god knows who!) we may stay up.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Martin Toms » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 pm

I’ve always tried to be a positive person but I’m currently 50/50 as that’s whether we stay up especially after the last two losses.

I can’t see us beating Coventry or Newport, a point at the very best in each. The three games following, Stevenage, Morecambe and Crawley are huge and I feel we need to win at least two of those games or come the end of February we could be cut adrift.

I’ve said for a while now for me it’s scoring goals which is the bigger problem I believe than defensive issues. We never give ourselves a chance as we don’t threaten the goal enough so then any tiny slip at the back gets punished and because we don’t have a threat confidence goes downhill quickly. We never seem to cross the ball and although the shots tally went up the other night at Exeter we still didn’t score but we must keep shooting instead of overplaying around the box. We need to give Doidge and Reid better service and give ourselves a chance to score goals.

For me Drissa and KMB need to be in the squad, if not starting at least on the bench, I just cannot fathom out why they are not, I can only assume it’s a fallout (again).

I’m still hopeful but February could be a defining month in my opinion, if results don’t go our way I wouldn’t be opposed to Scott Lindsay taking over until the end of the season. I’ve sat behind the dugouts and In recent games when he has been in charge of the technical area its felt a more positive environment for the players and he has a good connection with the fans and from what I can gather with the players also.

Interesting times ahead...COME ON YOU ROVERSSSSSSS!!
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Good thread.

1. Stop short corners.
2. Keep possession from throw-ins, mainly achieved by potential receivers being on the move and making space - not standing still like statues.
3. Send most of the free-kicks awarded to us in an opponent's half straight into the penalty box.

We might then (might) just scrape survival.
As an added bonus the game would at least be more interesting and entertaining.

Who is it I wonder who instructs our generally competent squad not to do the above?
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:53 pm

stanman wrote:Keep possession from throw-ins, mainly achieved by potential receivers being on the move and making space - not standing still like statues.

This. Tbf it's nothing new for us, but it's very frustarting to watch. How difficult is it to move around a bit and make space/yourselves available from throw-ins? We lose possession so often from throw ins that it's not even funny.

All our set-pieces need to improve, at least Clements looks like he has a decent free-kick on him.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 pm

It comes down to quite a few variables but at the moment it feels like we would be relying on other teams to be worse than us, rather than us believing we can be better than others.

We have just signed 10 players and brought in some good talent but I am not convinced we have the right balance in the squad with the long naughty step list developing again. It means we still have a real lack of competition in some key areas.

On Saturday before we had even played Carlisle Cooper was moaning about the Exeter game and that we were playing Saturday and they weren't. That negativity bore itself out again yesterday. From my experience of life if you tell yourself you are beaten before you start, then you normally are.

I think we have a squad capable of staying up but I don't think we are using it to the best of its ability.

I hope we take it upon ourselves to give every game a go rather than give up half way through and that we believe we are worthy of this league. That starts with the leadership building the right atmosphere and belief. Time to take the breaks off and give it more of a go.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team