Let's have some honesty...

All about our First Team

Re: Let's have some honesty...

Postby The Running Rover » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm

A slight concern What if we go down and the planning for the new stadium gets turned down again. Surely DV would walk away at that point?
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby King George » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 pm

The Running Rover wrote:A slight concern What if we go down and the planning for the new stadium gets turned down again. Surely DV would walk away at that point?

If Dale walks away this club will go under in weeks, possibly days.
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 pm

The Running Rover wrote:A slight concern What if we go down and the planning for the new stadium gets turned down again. Surely DV would walk away at that point?

Eggs and baskets.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:20 pm

I get the feeling the dale DV doesnt give up that easily.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby andymac26 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Here's a stat just for interest (which I think is right based on OTC's table).
We've played 18 games against the current top 13 teams. A possible 54 points - we got 5.
Means little going forward I know, but sobering, especially given that I think we need more than just picking up points against the bottom half.
It made me reach for another cider. And another.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:01 am

Why would he walk away?

From something he's strived for and something he's paid a lot of money for.

Not to mention the publicity he's attracting because of his ethics and what he believes in.

I'm pretty sure and hopeful that if it ever happens he'll just see relegation as a minor inconvenience that can be rectified within the next twelve months and we'll be back in League 2 the following year.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby King George » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:24 am

NewForestRover wrote:

Why would he walk away?

Not to mention the publicity he's attracting because of his ethics and what he believes in.

I'm pretty sure and hopeful that if it ever happens he'll just see relegation as a minor inconvenience that can be rectified within the next twelve months and we'll be back in League 2 the following year.

So basically, just chuck another shed load of money at it and make us even more unsustainable?
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:22 am

Sustainable economic growth means a rate of growth which can be maintained without creating other significant economic problems, especially for future generations.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 am

NewForestRover wrote:

Why would he walk away?

I suspect NFR that you are more right than wrong.
I seem to remember that DV has already given a commitment that he will stand by team if we get relegated and rebuild for future progress.
DV has spent a lot of money on FGR which has also publicised his eco ethos and Electricity. Without the club that publicity was have been double or more.
The new stadium was planned while FGR were a Conference club. It is part of a sports complex so it is probable irrespective of which division FGR play, the new stadium will be built [depending of Council officials of course].
I want the team to remain a EFL club, but it is not all gloom for the club should that not happen.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby phil2010 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 am

Agree with Old Tom Cat. A new stadium is about three years away so we could go down and come back up again in that time frame. When we played at the Ricoh earlier in the season it was the doomiest/ gloomiest time and it sparked a good run. Maybe that will happen again... That's football!
phil2010
Trainee
Trainee

Postby doggy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:52 am

DV won’t go, just got to get right people running club, he will realise this in time, may go down before this happens , but, as stated he’s invested heavily and we are a good advertising tool.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 am

My main earlier point was that permission for a new stadium is far from a certainty. The first plan was rejected, so it's perfectly feasible the revised plan could also be turned down as well.

So, IF we get relegated AND the new stadium isn't going to happen, I'm wondering what would keep DV interested and prepared to invest more £millions to get the club promoted once again?

Hopefully, this scenario won't happen, but it's certainly not impossible.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Sustainable economic growth means a rate of growth which can be maintained without creating other significant economic problems, especially for future generations.

Which is unsustainable.

Growth on growth on growth = unsustainable.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Equals Pyramid.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Urban Spaceman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:35 pm

I find it very hard to make up my mind on this one.

Being at Wembley last season to see us go up was absolutely the best day of my whole football watching life, as I don't think many neutrals expected us to do it and Tranmere Rovers had an overwhelming advantage in terms of support.

I have only seen us play three times this season - 2 wins and a draw - and I realise that this is not exactly a representative selection of our matches ! We seem to have the capability of playing well for periods of most matches, but we seldom seem able to sustain it for 90 minutes. Then, we go on a poor run and just when you wonder where the next win is going to come from, they go and perform as they did to beat Cambridge United.

I am going to stick my neck out (my head probably being ruled by my heart) and say that we will just stay up by a whisker, but I wouldn't want to bet on it ! :o
Urban Spaceman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:23 pm

I honestly think we'll stay up. Mark Cooper is a good manager and has recruited well in January to replace weak links. 9 points since Port Vale.

As long as the forum users keep their cool then we'll be fine. A good solid performance today.

Keep calm and carry on.

Roll on next Saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 pm

There are very few football clubs that are sustainable without substantial financial backing from a company or a rich director (or more). We are no different. What makes us more sustainable than some is that we are effectively part of the marketing arm of a successful company.

Dale may not know football inside out but he has strong values, thinks long term and, as has been said, doesn't give up easily. Of course this roller coaster ride can't be upwards for ever but its fun on the way especially now we have a manager who tries to play more than percentage football as Pennock did.

I'm sure it will be a struggle through to the end of the season but we seem to have decent players and, for all his flaws and fallings out, MC has recruited pretty well overall and built, and then sustained through thick and thin, a strong team spirit.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 pm

The Running Rover wrote:My main earlier point was that permission for a new stadium is far from a certainty. The first plan was rejected, so it's perfectly feasible the revised plan could also be turned down as well.

So, IF we get relegated AND the new stadium isn't going to happen, I'm wondering what would keep DV interested and prepared to invest more £millions to get the club promoted once again?

Just to correct one point, the first application was not refused. Dale pulled the application away because the council were taking to long in making a decision. He then put in another application for the stadium complex only on the north side of the motorway approach road. See the Stroud Council original planning application with the Status: Awaiting decision, if it had been rejected that would appear.

Reference S.16/0043/OUT
Application Received Fri 08 Jan 2016
Application Validated Thu 21 Jan 2016
Address Land At M5 Junction 13 West Of Stonehouse Eastington Gloucestershire
Proposal Amendment to outline planning application in respect of land at M5 Junction 13 West of Stonehouse, Eastington, Gloucestershire. Development now comprises a 5,000 capacity football stadium and other ancillary uses (Use Class D2); two full-sized grass pitches and a goal practice area (Use Class D2); car parking for cars and coaches and highways improvements to the A419 including a signalised site junction and combined cycle/footway. All matters are reserved save for access.

Status Awaiting decision
Appeal Status Unknown
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
The Running Rover wrote:My main earlier point was that permission for a new stadium is far from a certainty. The first plan was rejected, so it's perfectly feasible the revised plan could also be turned down as well.

Just to correct one point, the first application was not refused. Dale pulled the application away because the council were taking to long in making a decision. He then put in another application for the stadium complex only on the north side of the motorway approach road. See the Stroud Council original planning application with the Status: Awaiting decision, if it had been rejected that would appear.

Reference S.16/0043/OUT
Application Received Fri 08 Jan 2016
Application Validated Thu 21 Jan 2016
Address Land At M5 Junction 13 West Of Stonehouse Eastington Gloucestershire
Proposal Amendment to outline planning application in respect of land at M5 Junction 13 West of Stonehouse, Eastington, Gloucestershire. Development now comprises a 5,000 capacity football stadium and other ancillary uses (Use Class D2); two full-sized grass pitches and a goal practice area (Use Class D2); car parking for cars and coaches and highways improvements to the A419 including a signalised site junction and combined cycle/footway. All matters are reserved save for access.

Status Awaiting decision
Appeal Status Unknown

Ah OK, fair enough. I think the time it was taking was the problem - we could've been waiting 10 years at the rate SDC were going!
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lee A » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:34 am

Football is a wonderful game, whether we stay up or go down could end up being down to something like a suspension, an injury, a last minute sending off.

If we go down, as long as we go down with a fight is all that matters.

That said, this current squad seem to put in a shift and work for each other, there is no reason to think we can't be the drop, it may come down to the last 4 games though.

I'm just thankful we are not Barnet because appointing Graham Westley who since going to Preston is a manager in decline, they have probably sealed their own fate.
Lee A
Trainee
Trainee

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team