Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 pm

So the day arrived, the mighty SKY BLUES descended on FGR!

Coventry, undoubtedly the biggest team to visit Nailsworth for a league fixture, arrived in the hope of revenge for their home defeat and in the hunt for 3 point to help secure their play off place. They brought with them almost 1000 fans, tickets snapped up in days at The Ricoh.

FGR, keen to make The New Lawn a fortress, looked organised and determined throughout. Goalkeeper, defence, midfield and attack all looked strong - the spirit and ability in the team was plain to see. The style was a mixture of the passing game and the pragmatic long ball to avoid the risks that so often have led to past mistakes and goals conceded. All who played were MOTM for me, a true team performance!

It was an end to end contest with thrills, spills and chances a plenty. The entertainment was terrific for a magnificent crowd of 3600+. The result mattered more than the performance, the win securing a fantastic double and points to lift us out of the dreaded relegation zone. A hat trick of home wins, well done to management, team and fans....an amazing day to savour, it has cheered me up no end.

Now to Newport. Our away form hasn't been good, but today's performance should instil confidence and belief. I hope we can take a few hundred over the border into Wales to spur the team on to keep us in the football league. Come on guys and gals, make that commitment.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 am

Pitchfork wrote:So the day arrived, the mighty SKY BLUES descended on FGR!

Coventry, undoubtedly the biggest team to visit Nailsworth for a league fixture, arrived in the hope of revenge for their home defeat and in the hunt for 3 point to help secure their play off place. They brought with them almost 1000 fans, tickets snapped up in days at The Ricoh.

FGR, keen to make The New Lawn a fortress, looked organised and determined throughout. Goalkeeper, defence, midfield and attack all looked strong - the spirit and ability in the team was plain to see. The style was a mixture of the passing game and the pragmatic long ball to avoid the risks that so often have led to past mistakes and goals conceded. All who played were MOTM for me, a true team performance!

It was an end to end contest with thrills, spills and chances a plenty. The entertainment was terrific for a magnificent crowd of 3600+. The result mattered more than the performance, the win securing a fantastic double and points to lift us out of the dreaded relegation zone. A hat trick of home wins, well done to management, team and fans....an amazing day to savour, it has cheered me up no end.

Now to Newport. Our away form hasn't been good, but today's performance should instil confidence and belief. I hope we can take a few hundred over the border into Wales to spur the team on to keep us in the football league. Come on guys and gals, make that commitment.

Good post, totally agree. Tactics and team selection was good again today, players and fans as good as always. COYR
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby man_of_kent » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 am

As others said good all round performance and a welcome 3 points. Thought we a bit fortunate to go in ahead as Coventry had a couple of good chances which they should have put away. But overall we are now driving into the opposition box a lot more and have stopped looking so toothless in the final third! 15 games to go .....
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby whoisit » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 am

So good to get up this morning down under and yes we win Hal a Loo Yaaaa onwards and upwards hopefuly GET THAT AWAY FORM GOING .
whoisit
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Mothy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 am

I don't know where Coops was before the last 10 mins? Not having his continuous negative gesticulating on the touchline was a benefit to the players I'm sure. I liked new Goalkeeper guy, he has an infectious energy. For example, when Cov broke away he knew and straight away had the play book out to show Scott who should have been there in front of the D to prevent it.....uh and it should have been m.o.m Lee Collins.

I'm not totally convinced by Collins as a CM he seems slow and ponderous at times, but brings height and stability which is better than having CC running about busily doing nowt. Oddly though, and somewhat defeating my own argument now, I do prefer Collins as a CM as his contribution is more there than as a CB.

Isaiah started slow but was soon on it. Grubb brings tempo and some urgency to our play, good debut first half by Bray, Collins starting to look assured as goalie behind a stronger defence.

We'll done Coops and not least for recognising that you are your own worst enemy. On that display it worked better with Scott mike'd up.

Back four is much better at this level, when the even lower Bucks go to a five it usually ends in disaster.

Highly enjoyable afternoon...plus quick get away back up the motorway from the Parknride.
Last edited by Mothy on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Lee A » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:46 am

Well organised display, seemed to be a desire of we need to win so lets get it done, even kept with it at 1-1.

Having seen how Luton have ended up with shockingly poor results against so called poorer teams, I think as long as you rally the troops you have a chance against any of the teams in the league.
Lee A
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:53 am

Going thru the Coventry forum I was not unduly surprised that one poster was upset at the low number of fans at game compared to the Ricoh.
Said he could not understand how a team with so little support could do double over Coventry with its greater fan base.
I bet he was unaware that this was the 2nd best attended game of season [3,623] and only 18 less than when Cheltenham visited earlier in season.

The Coventry posters are same as all club posters when their team loses [and I include FGR] in that a defeat is down to a poor performance by their players rather than the opposition stopping them playing to their best.

The FGR & Coventry games have already been nominated as a future trivia quiz question by a Coventry wag asking:
"Who were first team FGR won the double against in EFL2?"

On one of their posts I came across probably one of the best football websites going:
http://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?lea ... rest-Green
Recommended.

Sad news this weekend: Notts Co v FGR is no longer the best attended EFL2 game of season.
County had special offer of £2 per ticket for visit of Crewe and 17,274 watched the game.
Only 13,267 attended game when FGR visited earlier in season , although that remains 2nd best attended EFL2 game.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks OTC- From the link posted

"This season in the league :
Forest Green conceded at least one goal in 88% of their home matches. Forest Green conceded at least one goal in 93% of their away matches. 69% of Forest Green's points have been earned at home. Forest Green have conceded the opening goal in 74% of their matches. Forest Green have lost 67% of their away matches. Forest Green have lost their last 6 away matches. "
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby camel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 am

Great result yesterday. A much more pragmatic set up it felt and hopefully something we can use to build on going forward. Well done to all involved. An absolutely fantastic 6pts off of Coventry.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:59 am

tommyd wrote:
fgr2016 wrote:I saw Ozzy saying 10 minutes earlier "my ham" assuming hes hurt his hamstring

Either that or he's broken the vegan food match day rule and bought in his own.

must be up there in the top ten posts of the season chart
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 am

Great game and a full on performance by the XI and subs. Grubb's acclimatisation to EFL is astonishing and having Alex Bray on the right wing meant great service into the box. Hope we take the spirit and buzz to Newport along with hordes from the 5 Valleys

I hope Ozzy's substitution was precautionary but the pace of the game had many players at full stretch, not least Chris Stokes trying to keep step with Doidge, Bray & co. Ozzy is still the man in the middle but good to see how FGR did not break stride when he came off showing that the all round strength is much improved

In all senses, this is a different team to the one that started the season. Lee Collins has emerged as a true leader too and his game is light years better than 2017. Full credit to the hard yards he has put in

I thought the Coventry guys - players and supporters - were brilliant. Forums always feature moaners and I met far more who enjoyed the new experience rather than mocking us. Besides, 6,000 at the 30,000 Ricoh is emptier as we experienced earlier in the season. And for what it's worth, a 'proper football club' - Grimsby - mustered just 3,300 for the Cheltenham match. As several Bristol City fans said to me after the game, despite our League position crowds at FGR are amazing now compared to 10 years ago and are respectable in EFL2. If we can build on the 2,000 base support the future will remain bright.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby mauler » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 am

shame manager not getting round of applause from fans - kiss and make up!

trying not to get carried away at the other extreme (agree with Timb about the moaning on the forum) but I am sure yesterday summed up what the club is working towards and amounted to a pay back of support and investment - financial and otherwise!
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:48 am

mauler wrote:shame manager not getting round of applause from fans - kiss and make up!

trying not to get carried away at the other extreme (agree with Timb about the moaning on the forum) but I am sure yesterday summed up what the club is working towards and amounted to a pay back of support and investment - financial and otherwise!

We have been languishing at the foot of the table all season, I think on a forum platform that the fans have been right to be concerned and to voice and discuss those concerns. Much better on here than whilst in the stadium on a match day which I don't agree with.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 am

mauler wrote:shame manager not getting round of applause from fans - kiss and make up!

In the South Stand people were clapping both players and manager. He chose to ignore us.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Well what a performance, lets hope it's not a flash in the pan. Three good home wins, just need to get a few away wins under the belt and we could be looking at mid-table security.
Pleased with the new signing's, onward and upwards that's the way. :D

Perhaps MC new strategy (don't usually put those two together) of spending time in the stand really works, stop's him from ranting and raving and both players and official's, long may it continue. :lol:
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby Earl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Superb result and performance. Fair play to Cooper for bringing in quality and getting the best out of them.

In defence we tackled well, blocked shots and headed away crossed balls. Maybe for the first time this season they looked like a quality league two defence. And most importantly they made no mistakes and concentrated for the full ninety.

Reid may not be scoring but never underestimate his contribution. He reads the game well and his hold up play and lay offs keep the ball moving forward.

The Coventry defence struggled to deal with the trio of Grubb, Doidge and Reid which bodes well for the future.

The bottom line is can we stay up, yes we can (I think).
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:36 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Bumped into Scott Lindsay before the match - he's always good value and up for a chat. Told me about the '2 wingers ploy' and boy did that work! I mentioned that we have good record v Mark Robbins' from the Harvey/Fleetwood era (FA Cup 2-2 at TNL then 0-3 at their place where MR was quoted: "they passed us off the pitch").

MC has clearly been feeling the pressure and whatever supporters may think of his reactions, resounding backing from 3 sides is clearly lifting the team and coaching staff. If we keep doing it in the stands, the bond will be re-established. After the second goal went in, the stadium was bouncing and the memories will live long. Remarkably, the 3600+ gate was achieved even though there were many empty seats in the East Stand and the South Stand was not as full as usual this term. I feel sorry for regulars who missed out.

When I started watching FGR 4 decades ago, matches like yesterday were beyond my dreams. United support like yesterdays will keep us in EFL2
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Cov gaffer is very unhappy to lose to a team like FGR.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... est_Green/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:40 pm

NewForestRover wrote:We're too good to go down!

Barnet all but gone now, it's a long way back from where they are.
You have a more potent team than Chesterfield, Morecambe and Crewe and maybe a couple of others. I think you'll comfortably survive, hopefully at the expense of Chesterfield :D
Spiritater
Youth
Youth

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team